MAGA

Longer spinning rod

62 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I have seen a lot of your pictures of slaying fish with that rod. Looks great.

Does it cast down to 1/4oz?

Yes 100ft or more,,,,,:)  I put a gotcha on and it will empty the spool,,,,,,,:D

It’s dependent on where I’m fishing. If I’m fishing on, say a dam of the pond, I prefer a longer rod to cover as much area as possible. A lot of times though, I find myself in thick brush to get to the panfish spots, and I’ll go as short as possible, like 4-5 feet. 

On 1/8/2021 at 7:01 AM, spoonplugger1 said:

Hotshot and Mag Taper salmon/steelhead rods has been around for decades, been used for bass, walleye, inshore, etc for a longtime. G Loomis has them built in many configurations in their rod lineup and have been for a long time, the Greenwater series is full of them and bass specific designs. My travel bonefish, walleye, bass, large trout and steelhead, etc. 3 piece rod in built on a hotshot design in GLX. 

So, i've been looking for a 2-piece rod in the 8' - 8'6" range to fish for mostly walleyes but also some trout, bass, etc from shore. Rigged swimbaits, stickbaits and bucktails on rivers and reservoirs where it would be nice to have the extra distance. 

Would a fast action steelhead rod work in this situation? Please forgive me I am not familiar with steelhead rods or whether a steelhead taper would work for this application. 

2 hours ago, ItWasTheDogISwear said:

So, i've been looking for a 2-piece rod in the 8' - 8'6" range to fish for mostly walleyes but also some trout, bass, etc from shore. Rigged swimbaits, stickbaits and bucktails on rivers and reservoirs where it would be nice to have the extra distance. 

Would a fast action steelhead rod work in this situation? Please forgive me I am not familiar with steelhead rods or whether a steelhead taper would work for this application. 

All depends on the weight of the lure.  I use a gloomis Steelhead taper rod but it will not work well above. 5 oz

On 3/30/2021 at 8:06 PM, Captain Ahab said:

All depends on the weight of the lure.  I use a gloomis Steelhead taper rod but it will not work well above. 5 oz

Any chance you use the Loomis GL3 "Classic"? I was looking at one, but am wondering how the fast action in a steelhead taper would compare to a standard fast action rod - say a St. Croix premier. 

I'm not planning on throwing anything over .5oz, so that wouldnt be an issue for me. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, ItWasTheDogISwear said:

Any chance you use the Loomis GL3 "Classic"? I was looking at one, but am wondering how the fast action in a steelhead taper would compare to a standard fast action rod - say a St. Croix premier. 

I'm not planning on throwing anything over .5oz, so that wouldnt be an issue for me. 

Thanks

It's a 1082s. IMX 

20210401_193208.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/30/2021 at 5:14 PM, ItWasTheDogISwear said:

I have never found a steelhead rod that functions well for what you ask.

I have been relegated to 8ft St. Croix Inshore rods with the down side that they are 1-piece, but they work well.

Still, you want the Shimano Dialuna 8ft 6in rod, it has the length of a steelhead rod with the power and action of a bass rod.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 3/30/2021 at 8:06 PM, Captain Ahab said:

I have tried steelhead rods rated to just over 1oz and they don't function well with casting and working lures over 1/2oz.

I always got the impression that steelhead rods were designed soley to fight powerful fish on light lines rather then cast or work lures proficientlly.

If you haven't any experience with salmon/steelhead rods having an opinion isn't helping this person, nor is showing a picture of a rod that isn't the type I mentioned. The first swimbait rods used to throw the big baits for bass were backbouncing rods used for salmon fishing for decades. The hotshot rods were developed for fishing plugs for salmon and steelhead decades ago, they have been used as ultralight Bluewater rods for decades also. They were developed to fish plugs to the Flatfish K16 size,  The Lamiglas mag taper blanks I mentioned will throw 1/2 oz into next week till we are all dead, to say otherwise is just silly. We love to throwing 2/3 oz and heavier spoons with them all the time. Hotshot rods are rated to 15 to 40 lb. line class. All are fast to X fast blanks.

22 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

If you haven't any experience with salmon/steelhead rods having an opinion isn't helping this person, nor is showing a picture of a rod that isn't the type I mentioned. The first swimbait rods used to throw the big baits for bass were backbouncing rods used for salmon fishing for decades. The hotshot rods were developed for fishing plugs for salmon and steelhead decades ago, they have been used as ultralight Bluewater rods for decades also. They were developed to fish plugs to the Flatfish K16 size,  The Lamiglas mag taper blanks I mentioned will throw 1/2 oz into next week till we are all dead, to say otherwise is just silly. We love to throwing 2/3 oz and heavier spoons with them all the time. Hotshot rods are rated to 15 to 40 lb. line class. All are fast to X fast blanks.

I stand by what I said, I have yet to find a suitable steelhead rod for bass and walleye fishing (all rods I have used or looked at are just to whippy in the 1/4oz to 1oz range). But, that is not to say that there are not models out there that are better suited for casting and working lures then what I tried, I just haven't seen it or used it.

I fished the dam on the Cheboygan River with my G Loomis STR 1141-2S, the long rods are used the decrease the amount of line on, or in the water this decreases drag, increases the depth of your offering to give you a natural drift in current, but rod selection is determined by the conditions your fishing and what you are using. Taken from the G Loomis catalog: Recommended uses for HSR 9000 S: Steelhead, Coho, Smallmouth, Walleye, Bonefish, Redfish, Sea Trout, Bluefish, Atlantic Salmon. HSR 930 S: Steelhead, Coho, Walleye, Northern Pike, Bonefish, Permit, Redfish, Sea Trout, Snook.

Thanks everyone, you have given me a lot to think about. 

I think i'm just going to have to find a G Loomis dealer who will let me demo one and see what I think. Unfortunately the closest one is over 100 miles away from where I live in Upstate NY. 

Just now, ItWasTheDogISwear said:

Thanks everyone, you have given me a lot to think about. 

I think i'm just going to have to find a G Loomis dealer who will let me demo one and see what I think. Unfortunately the closest one is over 100 miles away from where I live in Upstate NY. 

Shimano Dialuna.

Trust me.

I was directed this route by Budda and I am glad I finally took his advice. This rod does everything I could ask for and it does it well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Regarding S/S rods, I have found if you move up to a MH or H power it helps “over compensate” for the “soft” design of this rod type. I fish two different St Croix 9’ H fast 1/2 - 2oz and the are great for working lures in the 1/4 to 1 1/4oz range, anything over 1 1/4oz the “softness” starts to show itself, 1 1/2oz on these is my limit, 2oz is doable but I’m not a fan... At all!

FWIW, Croix does offer an 8’ 2pc ML 1/8 - 3/8oz fast in their Eyecon series, $150 retail, it may be worth a shot if the payload rating is enough...

Edited by Inshore