MAGA

Longer spinning rod

62 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Jim DE said:

I still like the old school 5’6” and under ultralights for my trout fishing creeks and streams. Old habits die hard especially successful ones. But honestly maybe 2% of my trout fishing had been done with anything but fly tackle. 

Can’t remember the number Loomis I use the most for River bass I think it’s a 901s nrx which is also my drop shot and wacky worm

Love the 901S and the 902S: two of the best river rods ever made IMO and they were brought back by popular demand a year or so ago.  When I first got them I was a little disappointed because they don't cast mono or flouro that well with their tiny guides, but if you put braid on them they cast a mile and have excellent feel and sensitivity . Loomis designed this rods to be accurate casting braid launchers and while they are a little heavier that the latest greatest from Japan and Korea their sensitivity and feel are much better IMO.

My wife is holding a 7-1/2' 901S and 902S while we are getting ready to fish a new area for trout and walleyes. The 901 is a medium light and the 902 is Medium power. I have had these rods for 12 years and still love them.

20160619_193617 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Jay Blair

I fish a reservoir from the bank where casting distance is absolutely critical.  I’m targeting bass primarily.  All my rods are about 7’6” because that’s the longest they come for the most part.  I really wish some of the popular rod manufacturers like St Croix, Loomis, Megabass, etc. serving the FW bass market would make 8’ rods with proper bass tapers.  I find the salmon/steelhead rods way too soft and wippy for most bass applications.  I own Pretty much every high quality 7’6” spinning bass rod know to man at this point.  So far the best one is the Loomis GLX 7’5” MH spinning for casting distance with jerkbaits, topwater spooks, ploppers, etc.

I did just pick up a Century Weapon Jr  8’ rated to 2oz for this coming season.  Paired it up with an Exist 4000 so I’m hoping this will finally be the one that gives me the distance I need.

Edited by frezzy

8 hours ago, frezzy said:

I fish a reservoir from the bank where casting distance is absolutely critical.  I’m targeting bass primarily.  All my rods are about 7’6” because that’s the longest they come for the most part.  I really wish some of the popular rod manufacturers like St Croix, Loomis, Megabass, etc. serving the FW bass market would make 8’ rods with proper bass tapers.  I find the salmon/steelhead rods way too soft and wippy for most bass applications.  I own Pretty much every high quality 7’6” spinning bass rod know to man at this point.  So far the best one is the Loomis GLX 7’5” MH spinning for casting distance with jerkbaits, topwater spooks, ploppers, etc.

I did just pick up a Century Weapon Jr  8’ rated to 2oz for this coming season.  Paired it up with an Exist 4000 so I’m hoping this will finally be the one that gives me the distance I need.

Actually, St. Croix makes actual bass rods to 8ft6in or longer.

I use the 8ft8in Legend glass with a Komodo 273SS, but they also have those lengths in graphite.

They do carry a couple of longer spinning rod options as well.

My only "long" rods for freshwater (8'+) are only for carp.

My next longest (7') are bait casters for deep water drop shots.

My most used and favorites are 6.5' for spinning reels and are my shore and kayak rigs.

The only longer rods I use in freshwater are 7ft and 7ft 6 and that’s for musky. Helps with the figure 8. All my bass rods are 6 somthing.    I fish almost exclusively out of a kayak though. I do wade for trout but my trout rod is 5ft 6. Unless I take the fly rod. I really prefer the shorter rods for freshwater. Casting distance isn’t really important in a yak and it makes it much easier to land fish. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/27/2020 at 8:46 AM, Jay Blair said:

I have seen some Steelhead rods used for specialty presentations like precisely positioning small lure in riffle pockets and for bait and jig presentations to catch lots of fish, but the are not versatile enough for most of the fishing I do.

6-1/2' to 7-1/2' covers just most of my fishing needs, but then your choices are somewhat limited when your start looking for longer rods. Saltwater, Flipping, and Steelhead rods are pretty much it. 

The Bass Market drives and dominates most of our fishing tackle industry. 

Ironically my best trout rods are 7-1/2' specialty light and medium light fast action bass rods. Great smallmouth rods that happen to be great trout rods as well and that just seems to be the way of things these days. The engineering on the new specialty trout spinning rods seems to have slacked in recent years. If they don't cast lures well, I trade them in for a rod that does.

I am the same.  My bass fishing is done with (mostly) fairly light tackle.  Not undergunned but a lot of xfast lightweight rods that I can lay into for long casts with lighter lures.  

Those same rods reels and main line are my trout rods as well.  I have a beautiful little st. Croix trout rod but very rarely use it except for some small stream stuff.

I also have a Loomis Steelhead rod that I got just to throw tiny poppers at a certain lake.  The Bass there want small topwater and you need a long cast as the edges are very shallow.  The long rod lets me get the lure to the fish and just shake it in place.  Those fish eat June bugs and other terrestrial all night long

Edited by Captain Ahab

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/5/2021 at 1:35 AM, spoonplugger1 said:

8 1/2 - 9 ft. rods aren't nothing for musky anymore.

Yeah, some companies make the rods as long as 10.5ft for musky.

Most rods, regardless of species, are design for fishing off a boat. When you are fishing on a boat you can move your boat to cover water easily. Naturally, a lot of rods are shorter because casting distance is not an issue, so you might as well focus on accuracy.

Shore fishing, especially bigger bodies of water, has greater limits on covering water. Greater casting distance is one of the best options a shore angler has for covering water.

It would be a niche area, but I have always wished for a line up of bass and walleye rods for shore anglers. Picture... "St. Croix Avid Bass Freshwater Shore". It would be a selection of ML to XH rods from 8ft6in to 9ft6in designed with bass fishing specific actions.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Hotshot and Mag Taper salmon/steelhead rods has been around for decades, been used for bass, walleye, inshore, etc for a longtime. G Loomis has them built in many configurations in their rod lineup and have been for a long time, the Greenwater series is full of them and bass specific designs. My travel bonefish, walleye, bass, large trout and steelhead, etc. 3 piece rod in built on a hotshot design in GLX. 

Heck with it just get one of each ... you always need a back up rod in the truck/car ....make it a good one...lol lol how many pairs of shoes /pocket books does she have hmmm just like the shoes and pocket books those extra rods all have their own place and character....lol lol just don’t tell her how much it costs

I may have to pick up one of the medium power 8ft 6in St. Croix Legend Tournament bass rods later this year.

Right now I use several 8ft St. Croix Tidemasters which do well, but a rod with an actual bass style action should give me better touch when jigging up walleye.

5 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I may have to pick up one of the medium power 8ft 6in St. Croix Legend Tournament bass rods later this year.

Right now I use several 8ft St. Croix Tidemasters which do well, but a rod with an actual bass style action should give me better touch when jigging up walleye.

Look at the black hole Suzuki 10ft,,,,,,,,:) it's just more fun to catch fish on,,,,,,,:D

Just now, bennie said:

Look at the black hole Suzuki 10ft,,,,,,,,:) it's just more fun to catch fish on,,,,,,,:D

I have seen a lot of your pictures of slaying fish with that rod. Looks great.

Does it cast down to 1/4oz?