MAGA

Longer spinning rod

16 posts in this topic

Anyone here use a longer spinning rod for fishing from the bank? I recently saw an old interview with Skeet Reese where he talks about using an 8ft spinning rod. My spinning rods for freshwater are 7ft. I would assume that you could cover more water especially with moving baits like a paddle tail or bladed jig as long as there was enough room for you to make a proper cast. 

6 hours ago, Mack26 said:

I find a 7’4” perfect for the boat or bank. An 8 ftr seems a little long to me for bank fishing, depending on the terrain.

8ft can be a bit much in small water with a lot of overhanging trees.

But, even in small water, the extra length has its own advantages.

In big water, I have never found an advantage to shorter rods, bank or on a kayak.

Posted (edited) · Report post

For bank fishing a long rod provides much more advantage over short rods. From casting the lure to setting the hook a longer rod does the job much better. The only problem for me is that most of the places I fish there is just not enough room to swing the cast. Long rods are not good when I need to make those casts between trees with low hanging limbs. In these conditions I find 5’6” rods work best. When fishing more open areas I prefer 7’6”. When kayak fishing I don’t like using rods over 6’6”.

Edited by Flip n Dip

7 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

8ft can be a bit much in small water with a lot of overhanging trees.

But, even in small water, the extra length has its own advantages.

In big water, I have never found an advantage to shorter rods, bank or on a kayak.

I guess that’s what i meant by depending on the terrain. Most of the places i fish from the bank are difficult to make overhead casts, and require a quick rollcast, or a skipping motion which are difficult with a rod that long. At least for me. Large lakes or resevoirs can usually provide more room, and can definately benefit from a longer rod for distance, and leverage from long casts. The longest rod i have in either casting or spinning, is 7’6”, and i’ve been gravitating towards bringing most toward the 7’ mark. When i’m on my boat, i find that 7’4” fits the bill perfectly.

3 mins ago, Mack26 said:

For freshwater??

Yes. My most used freshwater rod is a megabass ICBM.

It's pretty much replaced everything else. It's rated 3/8-3oz, and it's accurate.

25 mins ago, RWP said:

Largemouth, pike and musky.

I also use it for striper.

I can see the musky, and striper, but 9’4” seems extreme to me for LMB. Not saying you’re not able to fish it if you like that length, but that would wear me out quick. Especially on baits like topwaters that require a lot of action imparted to it. 

1 min ago, Mack26 said:

I can see the musky, and striper, but 9’4” seems extreme to me for LMB. Not saying you’re not able to fish it if you like that length, but that would wear me out quick. Especially on baits like topwaters that require a lot of action imparted to it. 

I don't fish topwater much, so I can't say on that. For my style of fishing, I don't think I could ever go back to a short rod. The ICBM is crazy light, under 6 oz I think. It handles like a 7' MH rod, but has the backbone of an XH when its needed, though I wouldn't rely on it to set huge hooks like found on big jigs and frogs. I use it for treble hook baits.

19 hours ago, Mack26 said:

I find a 7’4” perfect for the boat or bank. An 8 ftr seems a little long to me for bank fishing, depending on the terrain.

I tend to like 7' or 7'2" I had a 6'6" spinning rod that I finally sold (the rod didn't balance well either). I was just thinking for fishing along a dam or open terrain you might be able to reach deeper water.   

Strangely, salmon and steelhead anglers have been using long rods in all conditions forever. Most of mine are 7 1/2 to 10 1/2 ft long, one is 13 ft. long. There is a difference between can't and won't.