Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MartyK

Everything Is Relative

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

This is a fun off-season story which I swear on my life is true.   I entered a surf fishing tournament in Florida two years ago this March.   I don't ordinarily like fishing competitions, but a local who I fish with a lot asked me to support his club.   Everyone kicked in $20 and the tournament ran one day from 2:00-5:00.   About 20 guys entered and we all started fishing within a mile of each other.    The only fish around that time of year were whiting, with an occasional catfish and baby blue (under 12 inches).   I hooked up right away with a whiting.   It was decent size, and my host asked to keep it,   He figured if we got a few more that size he'd have dinner out of them.   We caught next to nothing the rest of the day, except maybe a few 8 inch or so whiting which we threw back.   We were the last car back to the registration area.   We were looking forward to seeing who won, knowing it wouldn't be us.    When we arrived the club president said if we could beat a pound, we'd be the winners.   We got  my fish out of the cooler and it was 1.1 pounds.   The "Yankee", as they called me, won the tournament and $240 (the biggest fish got 60% of the pot) with something just bigger than a tinker mackerel.    They never had a tournament last year due to Covid, so I'm still the reigning club champion.   I can't wait to defend my crown.   

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.