ryc72

Winter northeast salt Flyfishing...

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hi. New here.  Live in nyc and relatively new to Flyfishing salt in the northeast. Was wondering if anyone fly fishes the salt in the winter.  If so, what’s usually available?  Any resident stripers around all winter?   Any tips for places to be able to go wet a line for a couple of hours on a nice day?  I have waders and a stripping bucket so getting in the water isnt a big deal but I’d prefer to do it from a jetty or something and not have to get all geared up with waders and boots only to have to try and rinse them off in my apartment bathtub afterwards.  My wife would go absolutely bananas if I did that. Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Waders aren't prudently worn on a jetty in the first place. If you go in, they will fill, and nobody will find you until Floater Week in April.

In any case, jetties are not where you want to be. Look for small bays and creeks, fish them with waders (sorry about that) in daylight, and fish the places where they drain at the end of a day.

If I had to prescribe a situation to seek out from December through March, it'd be a drain point at the end of a shallow bay at the end of a sunny day. In the alternative, you can poke around the hot water exhaust of a powerplant.

Welcome to our noisy quarrelsome disfunctional family, the loudest family reunion you'll ever attend.

Edited by BrianBM

Welcome to the forum, new members used to be required to submit a joke, I'm surprised Brian didn't mention it.

The search function is your friend, this topic has been covered a bunch of times, and as you lurk about reading old threads here and in the main forum, you will find that there is a culture of silence relating to the information you seek.  Access to fishing spots has been severely curtailed by obnoxious people exhibiting bad behavior in places that used to be available if you kept your mouth shut and were considerate of property owners and the resource in general.  So what remains can be closely guarded.  If you know something about fishing, google can be your friend.  Look into access provided by the National Park Service.

Lastly, tell your wife to get over it.  Rinse the waders and rinse the tub, no big deal, for goodness sakes you wash your a$$ in the tub, what's gonna come in on your waders isn't worse than that. . .

Edited by Oakman

Ha!  Apparently my first message asking for winter tips was funny enuff that it passed the joke test???  Appreciate the tips...I’ll see what searches turn up.  

I wouldn’t wear heavy waders on a jetty. I have the patagonia ultralight waders that I normally wear with really lightweight wading sandals that are easy to flip off with one hand.  Wouldn’t be wearing heavy wading boots.  That being said wearing a pfd would probably be a good idea considering that I’d most likely be fishing by myself. 

I kind of have the same issue, all of the best spots that I know of require some kind of wading or access via kayak. This can be a pita when you just want to get to a spot, fish, then get home. Having to worry about loading and storing a kayak, or rinsing off waders is annoying, but for me necessary. 

if I were you, I’d start looking on google maps, and state web sites to find spots. Research the spot before you go, then put in your time. I had to find some spots the hard way, but once one produces, it’s all worth it. I’ve even found spots that nobody fishes (that I know of), and day or night I have it to myself.

Howdy

I live down in South Brooklyn and try to get out year round. Exploring the parks is a great tip, there are some amazing spots at some of them with great access, but you’ll have to put in a little time to find them.

I wear cheap waders in the salt and never rinse them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Trouty waders are kept outta the salt. 

Obviously don’t do that with the Patagonia waders but maybe pick up some cheaper boot foots. 

My building has storage in the basement. I just installed a command strip and hang them to dry between outings. 

Hopefully learning the salt in/around NYC will reignite your love for the city like it has for me. Can’t believe I lived here for so long without knowing about all the amazing natural resources. 

Thank you chuck!  Appreciate the encouragement.  One of these nice days I’m gonna have to do some recon.   I love winter fishing in general so this should be right up my alley. Normally I’m trout fishing dec-mar but to be able to get some salt water in would be great when I have a few hours to burn.  Throwing clousers and baitfish flies normally?

Investigate location which may have white perch such as Gerritsen Creek or the maze of creeks around JFK or Far Rock or North Woodmere Park or in Nassau County. If you time the tide right you can get white perch on small shrimp patterns during the winter months using 4-7 weight rods. Second idea of not rinsing waders, you don’t need too, it’s a myth but you don’t want the sand on them which is a nuisance so brush the sand off with a soft bristle brush at the beach or rinse  in puddle or outdoor shower, which could still be on, to removed sand quickly and more thoroughly. From mid September to May keep waders in car with windows cracked on sunny days and in summer hang in garage with stench of gasoline and VOCs. The fumes and heat generated by greenhouse effect in car nourish the molecular structure of the waterproof material and makes it less susceptible to leaks.  My two cents.

Yes there are resident Stripers in the Tri-State area . You can catch in the winter . You will have to do the hunt like most of us done . Once you find the seasonal pattern & location most likely you won't tell anyone also only to find 3 other guys with bent rods :bump:The beach is not my likely spot to be in the winter to catch Stripers  Good luck on the hunt . 

Shoot. Looks like the season ends 12/15 for nyc.  Does the season still apply if I’m all catch and release with no intent to keep?  The only regs I can find are in relation to the gwb.  Do the south of gwb regs apply to Nassau and Suffolk county as well?  Or do they have their own regs?  I tried looking for Nassau and Suffolk county striper regs but couldn’t find them. 

That's a State limit for stripers, so it applies statewide.

I've forgotten how the regulation is phrased, but I think it bars only possession. In theory, you can catch if you quickly release.

An even better idea; you can keep white perch.

12 hours ago, ryc72 said:

Thank you chuck!  Appreciate the encouragement.  One of these nice days I’m gonna have to do some recon.   I love winter fishing in general so this should be right up my alley. Normally I’m trout fishing dec-mar but to be able to get some salt water in would be great when I have a few hours to burn.  Throwing clousers and baitfish flies normally?

Yeah man, can't go wrong with a chartreuse and white clouser, although I've been bitten by the flatwing bug. It's a little bit like swinging soft hackles, which is maybe my favorite trout tactic. 

This isn't really the forum to admit this but I've added a spin rod to the quiver. It's perfect for quick pier outings. I'm lucky enough to work out of a shop on the Upper Bay. Sometimes the tide lines up with quitting time and I get out there for a few casts. 

Unfortunately most spots have A LOT of trash. Enough to kinda turn your stomach and make you wanna give up and go home. I think that's why people tend to be so guarded with info. It can be really really bad. So when you find that clean spot you kinda cherish it. That being said I'm sure you'll find a good hole. Google maps and nautical charts are great. Once you can use the PM function surely someone will share some info with you to get ya in the right direction. 

Edited by chuckbucktail

17 hours ago, ryc72 said:

Shoot. Looks like the season ends 12/15 for nyc.  Does the season still apply if I’m all catch and release with no intent to keep?  The only regs I can find are in relation to the gwb.  Do the south of gwb regs apply to Nassau and Suffolk county as well?  Or do they have their own regs?  I tried looking for Nassau and Suffolk county striper regs but couldn’t find them. 

Catch and release in the closed season is permitted.

6 N.Y.C.R.R 40.1(g)(3) reads

(3) During the closed recreational season for striped bass, catch and release fishing by angling only is permitted. Catch and release fishing is defined as a fishery where the fish are returned to the water. During the closed season all striped bass taken shall be returned to the water immediately without unnecessary injury.