Van Staal x series manual bail question.

Rate this topic

Birdsnester

Speaking of VS pickups, anyone ever have their line get wrapped around the screw that holds the roller in place?  Biggest problem with a south wind, especially at night.  I take a few cranks and the retrieve feels strained before my sleep deprived brain realizes what's going on for the 1,000th time that night 

C&R

5 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Speaking of VS pickups, anyone ever have their line get wrapped around the screw that holds the roller in place?  Biggest problem with a south wind, especially at night.  I take a few cranks and the retrieve feels strained before my sleep deprived brain realizes what's going on for the 1,000th time that night 

Yes, happens to me every once a while. I also on a rare occasion have the line wrap around the drag knob and create a big knot when it comes off.

17 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Remember I am a noob with VS.  shim what and how?

The member is telling you to shim the handle. These are the shims from VS

PC040100.JPG.88f1c39efd39c5c4ac3152feea7222ce.JPG

When you remove the reel handle from the reel.  A shim can be placed in the reels handle tapping.

PC040105.JPG.b5d864125aa7f409e0e9701639b98118.JPG

PC040105.JPG.2534660b7c47d9f37abbb0e0e40e155c.JPG

Right inside there. Each shim will change the pick-ups rotation ( line roller ) about 900   Place one shim in at a time. Make sure it lays flat on the bottom tapping. You may have to seat it with a small jewelers screw driver so it lays flat. Then put your reels handle back on and seat it. Check the position of your line roller, and repeat as required.

They should be set up close to the line roller being straight up to the reel foot or rod, with the reel handle running parallel with the rod butt. These videos where perfect illustrations on how to operate your new reel, and how your reel should be set up from the factory.

You can purchase these shims from a VS service technician near you.

17 hours ago, Lou T said:

How bad is it off. Take a photo.

Hope this helps

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

Remember I am a noob with VS.  shim what and how?

I never really worried about the handle position, just the spool most of he time. Way I look at it as long as your spool is toward the top, roller is on the left then cast away. As smooth as my VS reel is it doesn’t really free spin like say my old penn torque. That’s my .02. 

10 hours ago, Lou T said:

The member is telling you to shim the handle. These are the shims from VS

PC040100.JPG.88f1c39efd39c5c4ac3152feea7222ce.JPG

When you remove the reel handle from the reel.  A shim can be placed in the reels handle tapping.

PC040105.JPG.b5d864125aa7f409e0e9701639b98118.JPG

PC040105.JPG.2534660b7c47d9f37abbb0e0e40e155c.JPG

Right inside there. Each shim will change the pick-ups rotation ( line roller ) about 900   Place one shim in at a time. Make sure it lays flat on the bottom tapping. You may have to seat it with a small jewelers screw driver so it lays flat. Then put your reels handle back on and seat it. Check the position of your line roller, and repeat as required.

They should be set up close to the line roller being straight up to the reel foot or rod, with the reel handle running parallel with the rod butt. These videos where perfect illustrations on how to operate you new reel, and how your reel should be set up from the factory.

You can purchase these shims from a VS service technician near you.

Hope this helps

Lou T

Ah now I understand.  Mine is 90 deg from where it should be.  So if I am holding the rod parallel to the ground, the handle points towards the ground, not towards the butt.  I just purchased 2 shims today.  Thank you!

Edited by Birdsnester

9 hours ago, Mark L said:

I never really worried about the handle position, just the spool most of he time. Way I look at it as long as your spool is toward the top, roller is on the left then cast away. As smooth as my VS reel is it doesn’t really free spin like say my old penn torque. That’s my .02. 

I was always a firm believer in having pre-set positions to achieve different results. I felt more comfortable knowing where to find the handle knob in order to begin a retrieve and although the handle will be in the same position with the spool fully extended, every reel will have the handle in a different position with the spool extended and I liked having all my reel's handles in the same position. For me it was so easy to calibrate timing why wouldn't I want to spend a few seconds to do it?  I found the handle position important any time a fish took drag so was always careful to have the handle in the position that would allow the bottom of the roller as close to the middle of the spool. This allows as equal drag resistance as possible  because the angle from top of spool to bottom of roller and the angle from bottom of spool to bottom of roller provide the most consistent drag pressure as possible, not increased drag because of an increased angle fluctuating to decreased drag because of a decreased or no angle. Any time a handle or main gear is changed so will the timing. I see this all the time online when guys install power handles or any other handle with no concern for the less obvious changes that also occurred other than the shape of the knob

All 3 of my original VS, 100, 250 and 300 have the spool and handle at different positions and after fishing them for more than 20 years and never even gave it a thought , in fact I doubt it makes much difference. No need to overthink this , line off the roller , cast , repeat. 

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

1 hour ago, SC said:

I was always a firm believer in having pre-set positions to achieve different results. I felt more comfortable knowing where to find the handle knob in order to begin a retrieve and although the handle will be in the same position with the spool fully extended, every reel will have the handle in a different position with the spool extended and I liked having all my reel's handles in the same position. For me it was so easy to calibrate timing why wouldn't I want to spend a few seconds to do it?  I found the handle position important any time a fish took drag so was always careful to have the handle in the position that would allow the bottom of the roller as close to the middle of the spool. This allows as equal drag resistance as possible  because the angle from top of spool to bottom of roller and the angle from bottom of spool to bottom of roller provide the most consistent drag pressure as possible, not increased drag because of an increased angle fluctuating to decreased drag because of a decreased or no angle. Any time a handle or main gear is changed so will the timing. I see this all the time online when guys install power handles or any other handle with no concern for the less obvious changes that also occurred other than the shape of the knob

Thanks I’ll will have to pay more attention when reassembling the reels after service this winter. That was good info. 

3 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Ah now I understand.  Mine is 90 deg from where it should be.  So if I am holding the rod parallel to the ground, the handle points towards the ground, not towards the butt.  I just purchased 2 shims today.  Thank you!

Your quite welcome, Craig has a excellent two part video on servicing your new reel.

Good luck with it, and tight lines

Lou T 

On 11/27/2020 at 7:17 PM, Bluetaildragger said:

Alright folks, it’s gotten to the point that it’s actually wearing through the black finish.  Anyone have solutions?? 

FB672EEF-A1FD-414E-BABC-96D00DA7B6C1.jpeg

C&R