Birdsnester

Van Staal x series manual bail question.

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

So I just bit the bullet and bought a Van Staal X Series 200 bailess.  Tired of bringing my setups home after a day in the beach and having to open them up and clean them out!!!  Including my brand new Daiwa BGMQ.  I should have listened to tackle advisors LoL.

Anyway, I know this question has probably been asked a billion times but I’ll ask again.  

I’m not too familiar using bailess reels.  When casting do I need to pay attention to where the spool sits in the rotor cup? It feels like if it’s low the line might catch the bailess pick up.  Is this the case?

The spool should be extended out. Also the handle is supposed to be at a certain position which I believe is down pointed toward the rod butt. I probably  wrong on the handle position. 

Absolutely in my opinion. I only fished manuals and timed my reels so the spool was fully extended and the handle position was at 4 o'clock (my preferred position). My opinion is for any spinning reel, not for your reel specifically

Edited by SC

2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Really, why?  

If the timing is off this how you adjust .. in the female thread on your handle you will see one in there already . If it’s off you need to add or remove to adjust .. 

this is one of the aspects where zeebaas has the edge . On them there a an Allen head bolt on end of main gear shaft that lets you adjust the timing without shims . Pretty slick actually . 

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

No you don’t, I’ve been using VS for over 20 wand never shimmed any of them :howdy:

Ya def don’t “need “ a reel timed properly . But when it is , it’s much more problem free . Just my two cents 

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

If the timing is off this how you adjust .. in the female thread on your handle you will see one in there already . If it’s off you need to add or remove to adjust .. 

this is one of the aspects where zeebaas has the edge . On them there a an Allen head bolt on end of main gear shaft that lets you adjust the timing without shims . Pretty slick actually . 

Thanks bud.  That could come in handy.  Great stuff!