scoobydoo

Visser owners....can you try something for me? Spool Lock Up Glitch

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Gentlemen DM'ed me with a unique easily duplicated issue.

(FYI...I spend about an hour or two 5 days a week going over issues like like this pertaining to all sorts of reels )

Video below shows it.   Every time his hand slips the spool locked up solid.

The clicker seems to be binding to the click plate when it transitions.

The simplest fix would obviously be "DON'T DO THAT"

I'm curious if you guys experience the same.

I'll test mine once reassembled tomorrow.

I had him send half a dozen images so I could verify the drag stack and click plate are located properly.

That looked good to me.

I checked for something similar with mine out of the box...because my old VSB had a squeak which resulted in a snapped drag clicker when doing this so it's something I sorta check for regularly. )

I'll double check mine tomorrow when I reassemble it.

Thanks guys.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sent him the link to the thread.. This was the thumbnail that generated... That's friggin funny 

20201120_005538.jpg

Edited by scoobydoo

I’ll try tonight when i get off work but i’m almost 100% certain my drag isn’t as loud as that one I have a no.5 don’t know if that really would nake a difference

15 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I’ll try tonight when i get off work but i’m almost 100% certain my drag isn’t as loud as that one I have a no.5 don’t know if that really would nake a difference

Thanks man...lemme know when you're able!

19 mins ago, Fishjerk said:

I’d be curious to see the click mechanism. 

That's it with the drag support removed. 

20201121_005144.jpg

Just noticed this 

The first imperfection... Looks like the click beat up on the click plate.. 

(detailed my oring and silent drag issue in the other thread) 

This must have occurred when it started to work when the drag slipped in a Hooksett 

20201121_005318.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’d have to play with one, but from a mechanical view point it looks like the wings holding the spring may be the culprit to the lockup. With the perpendicular design, if the spring isn’t of sufficient strength, rapid turning of the spool may allow the wing to jam on one of the gear teeth. A stronger spring could possible reduce the likelihood of that happening as well as increasing the sound of the drag. A design change on the clicker itself might be needed using a more obtuse swept back angle On the wings. 

On further review, it actually looks like 3 of teeth I can see in the photo are damaged. The one centered and 2 additional one on the top of the gear. 

Edited by Fishjerk

I hooked into a pretty solid striper today at jones beach, spooled me pretty good. Drag hasn’t locked up on me during actual use. Just when i was asked to force it to.

I went night fishing yeaterday, caught 3-4 slots, a ton a schoolies and rats maybe 20+ fish in total. My car temp said it was 42 degrees outside.

The visser had a work out, and started acting really wierd. I got sand all over it and had to dunk it to get it off. The drag went silent, after a second dunk later on i had to readjust because it became too tight. After a third dunk even later, i had the drag lock up on me twice while playing in fish. It doesn’t seem to like water or cold water.