JoeyZac

Night Vision - For Offshore Tuna Runs - Whatcha' Got?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I've seen a couple of boats with those.  They're nice.

We've got mounted spotlights (not floods, like yours) and radar, I was simply thinking if some of the night vision tech is down around $400, it could be a nice addition.  If it works.......

The night vis would be a nice addition in addition to (or in lieu of) the spotlight, especially when navigating a busy, crazy inlet in the dark (Barnegat, on Tuna days), or when it's pitch black but there's a whole fleet trolling in tight quarters for Big Eyes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here you go Joey. Check out the FLIR 300 series

This is a video with great visual and information

Edited by Lou T

49 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

I've seen a couple of boats with those.  They're nice.

We've got mounted spotlights (not floods, like yours) and radar, I was simply thinking if some of the night vision tech is down around $400, it could be a nice addition.  If it works.......

The night vis would be a nice addition in addition to (or in lieu of) the spotlight, especially when navigating a busy, crazy inlet in the dark (Barnegat, on Tuna days), or when it's pitch black but there's a whole fleet trolling in tight quarters for Big Eyes.

Oh I agree. Check out the video I posted above. The FLIR 300 series looks incredible, but for a decent system I think there starting at $4,500... and up. That's linked to a Ray Marine Navigation  system.

I run a mounted flir, it works ok, if you are running full throttle there is little to no reaction time. It is useless when it comes to floating debris, as there is no temperature difference.