JoeyZac

Night Vision - For Offshore Tuna Runs - Whatcha' Got?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Seeing a lot of ads lately for night vision setups, and looking to take a stab at something, but reviews are so mixed that I'd rather have nothing than spend hundreds on something I'll hate.

Specifically looking for something that I can mount to hardtop and have it display on a tablet or cell phone.

Don't need color, don't need perfect, just need something that will help in the bay with all the clam stakes and crab pots, and then maybe while running to the tuna grounds with floating objects to shallow for radar to pickup.

Anyone using anything they like?

A friend of a friend uses thhe Sionyx Sport.  Loves it....

Never saw it in use...

It's on sale 200$ off.....thinking about it for myself.

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

A friend of a friend uses thhe Sionyx Sport.  Loves it....

Never saw it in use...

It's on sale 200$ off.....thinking about it for myself.

That's what led to the creation of this thread.  I had it in the cart and was ready to hit Confirm Order, then I read the reviews.

That exact unit for $399.

1 hour ago, MikedNJ said:

This question would be better served on **** 

Zac.....I certainly disagree with the above response and look forward to some more serious responses and not the stupid. I would love to have the technology and have been putting off buying night vision binoculars. People that do not boat do not understand the more the better.........I have radar,ais,navionics.......but welcome all the redundancy I can get........

I'm with you beret.  I'm shocked there aren't more people chiming in on this.  I know the topic is more appealing to boaters than land fishermen, but still, you'd think someone with first hand experience would chime in.

Never felt that I needed it. OTOH I don’t have to navigate in very constricted waters. Full moons provide lots of illumination. If I was going to spring for a system it would be the full night vision package, with its own screen. I want it right on my dashboard, not some funky cell phone app.

8 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Never felt that I needed it. OTOH I don’t have to navigate in very constricted waters. Full moons provide lots of illumination. If I was going to spring for a system it would be the full night vision package, with its own screen. I want it right on my dashboard, not some funky cell phone app.

We have a group that uses 4 different boats.  If I get a handheld and bluetooth it to a tablet, like the system mentioned already, then I can easily take it on any of the boats.

1 min ago, JoeyZac said:

We have a group that uses 4 different boats.  If I get a handheld and bluetooth it to a tablet, like the system mentioned already, then I can easily take it on any of the boats.

My experience is that when you try to cheap your on electronics you wind up with something no one likes. 

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

My experience is that when you try to cheap your on electronics you wind up with something no one likes. 

That's fine, but I don't recall this topic being about "cheap."

I've specifically asked for "what do you like?" and have brought up the desire for a mobile unit instead of something that has to be permanently mounted in a dash.

43 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

That's fine, but I don't recall this topic being about "cheap."

I've specifically asked for "what do you like?" and have brought up the desire for a mobile unit instead of something that has to be permanently mounted in a dash.

Fine, do your own thing and report back. You asked for other people’s experience and I gave you mine.

On 11/20/2020 at 9:28 PM, JoeyZac said:

140 views, and no one here has night vision?

No one?

Been fishing for quite some time Joey. Never been on a friends boat or charter that had one of those systems.

I would like to see one operate. Always thought FLIR was out of reach dollar wise. The only boats I seen with it is Marine State Police, and Fire boats.

If I had the room for a system like that I would probably look into it. For now this is what I got. It's hooked up to two house batteries, a inverter that runs the light on 24 volts.

Screenshot_20201122-185211_Gallery.jpg.961d4ba44ac4a9b64e92779ac7c99b0a.jpg

Edited by Lou T