NoVisibleLeader

SP minnow

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So I was swapping out hooks and split rings on some new SP’S and never knew how much the split ring sizes can vary from lure to lure 

you would think they would all be exact.

both floating versions, same size one was sandeel color the other was black 

453F4E73-B71D-471E-B13C-C363B15140F6.jpeg

073723C7-3C5A-4C98-8609-D2A5EA7E7B07.jpeg

All the SPs I've picked up lately have had the small split rings. 

While we're on the topic, I have a box full of brand new trebles/rings I switch out from my SPs, I have lots of them. What does everyone do with those light trebles/rings they take off their 6" SP minnows?

1 hour ago, RockRonin said:

All the SPs I've picked up lately have had the small split rings. 

While we're on the topic, I have a box full of brand new trebles/rings I switch out from my SPs, I have lots of them. What does everyone do with those light trebles/rings they take off their 6" SP minnows?

Keep em to confuse my inventory on 4x vmc :)

Made it an easy switch to mustad 

I've noticed this too, so I've been using heavier rosco split rings like #80 I think, and for all old hardware I put in a safe container and throw them in recycling. If some come stock with bigger rings I dont see why replacing them with upgraded similar size makes a difference, fish haven't minded either. Hook size will change action though.

9 hours ago, AudAtkins said:

I've noticed this too, so I've been using heavier rosco split rings like #80 I think, and for all old hardware I put in a safe container and throw them in recycling. If some come stock with bigger rings I dont see why replacing them with upgraded similar size makes a difference, fish haven't minded either. Hook size will change action though.

Your county allows recycling of hooks? Or do you send them somewhere? 

1 hour ago, Foureel said:

What if you leave the split ring off, does it change the action much.  I use the TA clip

The split rings hold the hooks.  They’re not on the nose of the lure like with some other lures.

On 11/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, NoVisibleLeader said:

All the SP’S I have came with split rings on the nose

I forgot that the 6” come with a split ring on the nose. I always use a clip to attach the lure so I always take this split ring off. FWIW the larger 6 3/4” don’t have a split ring on the nose.