Punch63

Pikie

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I want to try building Pikie, almost everything I've learned about plug building, I've learned

through the knowledge of all the great builders on this site, and my trial and error. I've tried going through all threads,

but came up empty. The area where I need a little help with, is how to make the curve on the nose

of the Pikie. Any advice would be great. Thanks

I use the end of my belt sander to rough the shape. Then hand sand.

I'm sure there are better methods, but this works pretty well for me.

The key is take a little off at a time and keep checking my work. 

5 mins ago, swirlchaser said:

The great winter pikie build thread. It got me started and I was lucky enough to get advise from all the OG pikie gurus. I'll find it for ya.

Thanks Brother

I usually turn pikies from square blanks, and leave the square ends on, this lets me use the bandsaw to trim away the rough shape, then a drum sander to sand it down to final size. Hand sand to finish and round the sharp corners.

And like Sparky said, little bites till you get good at doing it.

11 hours ago, Ed White said:

I usually turn pikies from square blanks, and leave the square ends on, this lets me use the bandsaw to trim away the rough shape, then a drum sander to sand it down to final size. Hand sand to finish and round the sharp corners.

And like Sparky said, little bites till you get good at doing it.

What he said.

Jigman, Fixter, Winch would be the go to guys for these. Personally I like the nose rounded. Looks like you got the slope on the head done properly. AYC? Those are some deep set eyes. Looks good.

1 hour ago, BassAssasin said:

Jigman, Fixter, Winch would be the go to guys for these. Personally I like the nose rounded. Looks like you got the slope on the head done properly. AYC? Those are some deep set eyes. Looks good.

Well, that fixter guy seems to know a thing or two about pikies. Not sure about those other two clowns :bucktooth:

The thread that swirl posted is a good one. Might do a search for the great pikie experiment that winch and I did years ago. Some good info on what changing certain things does to a pikie. Bass master also did a step by step in the main forum on how to build a pikie. Good stuff there. Also search the west coast forum. I started a thread there years ago on how to work a pikie. Some real good info by fixter, winch, bass master and others.

Don't be afraid to bend the lip some to get the action you are after. The nj pikie 3 lip is pretty much how I would bend it for a pikie. The smaller sizes I find I need to bend them down some to get them waking right.

Like bass assassin, I prefer a more rounded nose. I tend to make them a bit wider through the middle too. Again, this is for one that wakes on top. Surface, a whole nother animal :)

11 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

WHAT?????

:beatin:

It's ok, he is the builder of the plug. It's only when a casual plug user decides to bend a lip that the people of the internets get all unbalanced and cry black magic, burn the heratic witch, and other such nonsense.

2 mins ago, Jig Man said:

It's ok, he is the builder of the plug. It's only when a casual plug user decides to bend a lip that the people of the internets get all unbalanced and cry black magic, burn the heratic witch, and other such nonsense.

You can't BS me with that stuff.  Everybody knows that the lip is to remain UNMOLESTED once it has been installed onto the plug.  Builder schmuilder.  Even the Pope leaves them alone.

Sheesh, EVERYBODY knows that.  It's common wisdom.