scoobydoo

Visser Tear down - Write up - added Part 1 video 11/23

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, levari said:

That’s what I meant, dunk and crank..

Yup...I cranked it forearm deep about 20 casts worth.  For no reason other to see how it faired on the bench.  

No evidence of water inside.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm curious about the drag. 90% of my fishing the last 4 months has been snook fishing, specifically targeting specimens low 30's and up. I haven't fished any less than 60# leader and 15-20lbs of drag to freight train them out of structure so I don't get cut off.

What's the vissers drag range like, can I realize a potential 30lbs of drag and have it be smooth like my Penn torque 5?

One more thing, are the weights of the reels accurate to what is posted on vissers site? A reel capable of handling what my torque does but 4-5 ounces lighter so I can feel my lures working a lot better would be almost a game changer.

Edited by RedGreen

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

You're welcome,

Initially it was exactly that.  Very sluggish, very restricted handle rotation..  After the first outing the sensation of fighting the reel was gone.

It's not a - insert every other spinning reel not designed for surf use.  

It's more restricted than a slammer and saragossa sw.  But that comes with the territory. 

If you put time on a VS or ZB you wouldn't bat an eye. Though out of the box you'd likely consider it tighter.  (other reels may or may not be as tight when new...that may vary)

One thing you'd notice is the lack of "coffee grinder" resonance due to the gears.  Which is present on VS and ZB to an extent.  Feels like a penn torque/ slammer in the warm and fuzzies department.  I assume it will run in and get better to an extent with more use.

In regards to the knob bearings.   One bearing is defective.  Pretty crunchy on the bearing check tool with no load.  The other feels like a gomexus bearing in quality.  I bought 20 cheap Traxxas bearings awhile ago for like 20 bucks.  5 were defective just like this.  I'm excited to pop in the Dupont vespel bearings (I put on in the tranx 500 at the handle shaft base so it is a 200lb gorilla proof material....If he can make them efficiently and they work...I'm gonna try to convince him to sell them for $80 or $90 for the set of 3  it's one of the most expensive materials you can use and has the lowest coefficient of friction of any journal bearing/ bushing material....look at the cost of what scraps go for on ebay 600$ for a 9" rod)

It's the best main gear I've seen in person.  I haven't seen the new Saltiga or Makaira in person.

that’s exactly what I was hoping. Sounds like a home run.

Also 80 bucks is doable for the upgrade.

Thanks again for your feedback. It’s a lot of scratch to throw down for newcomer but I feel more confident now.

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

54 mins ago, RedGreen said:

I'm curious about the drag. 90% of my fishing the last 4 months has been snook fishing, specifically targeting specimens low 30's and up. I haven't fished any less than 60# leader and 15-20lbs of drag to freight train them out of structure so I don't get cut off.

What's the vissers drag range like, can I realize a potential 30lbs of drag and have it be smooth like my Penn torque 5?

One more thing, are the weights of the reels accurate to what is posted on vissers site? A reel capable of handling what my torque does but 4-5 ounces lighter so I can feel my lures working a lot better would be almost a game changer.

I don't know of an application where I'd fish this size reel with 30lbs of drag.

I'd love to meet a snook that could pull 15 :)

I've done plenty of full contact bluefishing where just the bend of the rod was enough to jamb ya up in structure.  I have no doubt that this reel is capable of that.  How it performs at 30lbs isn't something I will be testing.  It'll likely never see north of 50lb braid and thats if it makes a tuna run.  And I'll likely only set it to 15lbs  and just check how many clicks of the knob it takes to get to 20 in case i'm in trouble. 

I no longer do max drag tests....I deal with too many reels to have to reach out for warranty issues and the ensuing back and forth simply to test an absurd box spec.  Which brings up another question. 

I've damaged handle shafts on baitcasters testing jsut that (stainless washers cut into the brass shaft)  I wonder if under max drag, would the stainless washers cut into the aluminum "cartridge"

Not likely ever to come to realization...just thinking out loud.

The drag stack and support is substantial.  Even if I can only see the bottom stack.  I'm confident that 20# is comfortably within it's wheel house.  

That being said...I'm pretty sure I now know how my drag clicker got gouged...

I straight pulled a snag out snag under heavy drag....I palmed the spool...prior to the final pull I twisted the spool to wind up the tension....the back and forth must have done it.....since that's what is being shown in the "glitch" thread.

The weight of my reel is accurate which is a size 8

My knob on the No. 5 visser spins like a mofo. WHICH is growing on my honestly. Feels pretty good during use imo.

taking a break from the surf to write this post.

after three days of use on this thing it almost feels like my spinfisher VI (my visser was the floor model from j&h so it’s probably been cranked quite a bit) crank arm weight almost gets it to spin.

Dumps half my spool throwing 1 1/2oz minnows, but thats not just the reel and my spin fisher does that also. Needless to say it’s a good casting reel.

still bother by the little bit of slop in the knob

9 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I don't know of an application where I'd fish this size reel with 30lbs of drag.

I'd love to meet a snook that could pull 15 :)

I've done plenty of full contact bluefishing where just the bend of the rod was enough to jamb ya up in structure.  I have no doubt that this reel is capable of that.  How it performs at 30lbs isn't something I will be testing.  It'll likely never see north of 50lb braid and thats if it makes a tuna run.  And I'll likely only set it to 15lbs  and just check how many clicks of the knob it takes to get to 20 in case i'm in trouble. 

I no longer do max drag tests....I deal with too many reels to have to reach out for warranty issues and the ensuing back and forth simply to test an absurd box spec.  Which brings up another question. 

I've damaged handle shafts on baitcasters testing jsut that (stainless washers cut into the brass shaft)  I wonder if under max drag, would the stainless washers cut into the aluminum "cartridge"

Not likely ever to come to realization...just thinking out loud.

The drag stack and support is substantial.  Even if I can only see the bottom stack.  I'm confident that 20# is comfortably within it's wheel house.  

That being said...I'm pretty sure I now know how my drag clicker got gouged...

I straight pulled a snag out snag under heavy drag....I palmed the spool...prior to the final pull I twisted the spool to wind up the tension....the back and forth must have done it.....since that's what is being shown in the "glitch" thread.

The weight of my reel is accurate which is a size 8

Come to Florida in Summer, and get on one of them snook that can pull 20 lol.

8 mins ago, dennysnook said:

If I land this new job...It may be a requirement!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

If I land this new job...It may be a requirement!!!!!!!!

Hey you know a big jack will pull with the best of them.... very under appreciated fish for it's fighting / pulling ability, the only thing missing is the jumps. 

Soo... i fished my visser no.5 yesterday from 9-9 maybe 10 hours of surf on jones beach field 6. Had a pretty massive hook up (or a foul hook)  mid day and spooled me for a while then nothing until the sun started to set. Like an idiot I left my headlamp at home and I really started pulling in alot of schoolie bass after then sun went down probably averaging 26”. Since i didn’t have my light I was setting my rod down in the sand to remove the hooks etc. Reel got caked with sand about six time and dunked in the wash to rinse the sand as well. I had to readjust my drag adter the reel got wet, it felt like it got lighter. I passed out after i got home and didn’t clean my gear up until this morning. My stainless steel buck knife already had some rust coloring on it which was removed with a scotch brite pad. My reel seems fine after a rinse and a dry. Feels the same as it did before I took it out, I didn’t pull in any monster bass with it yesterday but the reel did play in the sand and go swimming multiple times. 

not sure if this help but I figured I’d write it up

2 hours ago, Callmefish said:

Soo... i fished my visser no.5 yesterday from 9-9 maybe 10 hours of surf on jones beach field 6. Had a pretty massive hook up (or a foul hook)  mid day and spooled me for a while then nothing until the sun started to set. Like an idiot I left my headlamp at home and I really started pulling in alot of schoolie bass after then sun went down probably averaging 26”. Since i didn’t have my light I was setting my rod down in the sand to remove the hooks etc. Reel got caked with sand about six time and dunked in the wash to rinse the sand as well. I had to readjust my drag adter the reel got wet, it felt like it got lighter. I passed out after i got home and didn’t clean my gear up until this morning. My stainless steel buck knife already had some rust coloring on it which was removed with a scotch brite pad. My reel seems fine after a rinse and a dry. Feels the same as it did before I took it out, I didn’t pull in any monster bass with it yesterday but the reel did play in the sand and go swimming multiple times. 

not sure if this help but I figured I’d write it up

Appreciate the write-up. Looking at a No. 7 myself.

13 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Knew you at least would get it.

It's nutty how a fish that doesn't move around nearly as much as a striper is so much stronger than one of the same size.

1 hour ago, RedGreen said:

Knew you at least would get it.

It's nutty how a fish that doesn't move around nearly as much as a striper is so much stronger than one of the same size.

I wouldn't know because I've never caught one. Was trying to plan a trip years back but got talked out of it by all the northern legends coming here to catch our species. Tight quarter structure fishing is a different animal then your typical snook fishing and have had a few fish in the 40s pull on a locked down 6k at 28ish. Stuff fails quickly at that drag rating on smaller reels, how I found out the Saltiga cap against stack was plastic and seen rotors crack, so I would be looking into conventional or bigger options if that was my main type of fishing as scooby hinted. If a fish can pull that amount of drag you need a heavy rod paired with it to move them and that drag rating becomes usless if the reel doesn't supply enough torque when you have a heavy load. 

37 mins ago, dennysnook said:

I wouldn't know because I've never caught one. Was trying to plan a trip years back but got talked out of it by all the northern legends coming here to catch our species. Tight quarter structure fishing is a different animal then your typical snook fishing and have had a few fish in the 40s pull on a locked down 6k at 28ish. Stuff fails quickly at that drag rating on smaller reels, how I found out the Saltiga cap against stack was plastic and seen rotors crack, so I would be looking into conventional or bigger options if that was my main type of fishing as scooby hinted. If a fish can pull that amount of drag you need a heavy rod paired with it to move them and that drag rating becomes usless if the reel doesn't supply enough torque when you have a heavy load. 

Dennysnook, you fish more in two weeks than I do in a year. AFAIK you, Scoobydoo and Kilsong are probably the heaviest - fishing anglers on this site. What spinning reels have you found to be most reliable under sustained use? (I've heard that TimS fishes a bit too.)

Just curious. It's winter, Christmas is taking over the house even without guests coming, so my fly tying gear has been put aside ...

1 hour ago, dennysnook said:

....so I would be looking into conventional or bigger options if that was my main type of fishing as scooby hinted.

What conventional would you choose for this application?