Beastly Backlash

Weather and Fish

40 posts in this topic

Ended up with 9 eyes landed, 3 got off the hook. Only two over 20in, a 23in and 27in fish.

I feel I could have done better, but I feel I was focused in on the wrong structures.

I will also point out that the bite took off after the rain stopped falling and the wind strength picked up, but that was also the same moment I started focusing on different structure.

The activity and aggressiveness, with which the fish seemed to strike the lures, were noticably higher then earlier this week when weather was clear.

Was out from 230a to 6a. Skies were partly cloudy, no precipitation, no wind, temps went from 40*F down to just below freezing by 5a.

My tackle bag, which was still soaking wet from fishing the down pour the night before, froze solid as a rock.

Between 3a and 5a I banged out 7 eyes and lost one that was probably over 30in as well as a very large fish that put the pedal to the metal and began running drag (I am thinking carp or very large musky). Lost that very large fish because the 10lb braided line rubbed a rock under all that tension.

Between 5a-6a, just one eye, a chunky 25incher.

The weather is supposed to turn extra crappy later today, not sure if these would be prefront or post front fish, but the bite was pretty good in that first 2hr time period.

Very interesting thread! I will agree with a nighttime walleye bite in the rain/sleet/snow, that's always been good for me...  IDK about moon phase either, I've never personally been able to determine a pattern there, but I have have seen moon rise/moon set turn a bite on. There are just so many variables, especially with river fish... I believe water level, temp, turbidity, are all factors that weigh heavily in conjunction with weather conditions. Sometimes you just walk outside, take a whiff of the air, and know the fish are going to be biting... generally I find that "spidey sense" to be pretty accurate, lol. 

On 11/24/2020 at 7:05 AM, Beastly Backlash said:

Was out from 230a to 6a. Skies were partly cloudy, no precipitation, no wind, temps went from 40*F down to just below freezing by 5a.

My tackle bag, which was still soaking wet from fishing the down pour the night before, froze solid as a rock.

Between 3a and 5a I banged out 7 eyes and lost one that was probably over 30in as well as a very large fish that put the pedal to the metal and began running drag (I am thinking carp or very large musky). Lost that very large fish because the 10lb braided line rubbed a rock under all that tension.

Between 5a-6a, just one eye, a chunky 25incher.

The weather is supposed to turn extra crappy later today, not sure if these would be prefront or post front fish, but the bite was pretty good in that first 2hr time period.

So actually yesterday's weather did not turn out rainy or nasty, just a partial cloudy day.

The rain is actually suppose to start today.

On 11/24/2020 at 7:22 AM, TJones said:

Very interesting thread! I will agree with a nighttime walleye bite in the rain/sleet/snow, that's always been good for me...  IDK about moon phase either, I've never personally been able to determine a pattern there, but I have have seen moon rise/moon set turn a bite on. There are just so many variables, especially with river fish... I believe water level, temp, turbidity, are all factors that weigh heavily in conjunction with weather conditions. Sometimes you just walk outside, take a whiff of the air, and know the fish are going to be biting... generally I find that "spidey sense" to be pretty accurate, lol. 

The good thing about walleye is water turbidity does not effect them as much as it does bass. Muddy water can really hamper a bass bite.

Wind is one aspect of weather I have not mentioned much, but it is one of my favorite aspects of weather. I am not sure that heavy wind turns on predators to feed so much as (like strong currents) it pushes baitfish and, inturn, predators into easily identified locations if you know what you are looking for.

Some of my best days bass fishing since I can remember have been working lake shores that were being broadsided with strong winds. The bass always seemed to be sitting on top of each other in those cases.

So last night was just ho hum on the prefront bite. I will be on the water tonight till 3am-4am tomorrow in the AM.

This will be in the middle of this current front with drizzle and periods of rain showers.