Beastly Backlash

Weather and Fish

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is no doubt in my mind that weather, IMO pressure and cloud cover in particular, have a big impact on fishing. 

My best striper fishing almost always occurs at the beginning of a blow or at the start of or during a pressure drop.

Edited by PhilCVG

The best day I ever had was in the midst of a Nor'easter . Missed beating my PB LMB by mere ounces . As long as I can stay reasonably comfortable I'll be out day or night . Moon phases well I don't plan a round them but the darker the night the better the bite . 

I find it hard to believe that fish can sense the minute barometric pressure change from a storm while under water and the various pressures they feel from changing water depths. I think they are reacting to low light conditions from the storm and possibly from the stirred up water from wave action. 

5 hours ago, z-man said:

I find it hard to believe that fish can sense the minute barometric pressure change from a storm while under water and the various pressures they feel from changing water depths. I think they are reacting to low light conditions from the storm and possibly from the stirred up water from wave action. 

You know at one time I didn't think barometric pressure was a big deal either . I suffer from ringing in the ears and the higher the barometer the louder the ringing . When a front's pushing in I'll head out . I honestly cant speak for the fish but I gotta believe it affects them to some degree . Enough so that it triggers feeding . Believe me if I can tell they surely have to as well . Low light and pushed water is all part of it . I'm no biologist just a keen observer of what's going on. 

2 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

You know at one time I didn't think barometric pressure was a big deal either . I suffer from ringing in the ears and the higher the barometer the louder the ringing . When a front's pushing in I'll head out . I honestly cant speak for the fish but I gotta believe it affects them to some degree . Enough so that it triggers feeding . Believe me if I can tell they surely have to as well . Low light and pushed water is all part of it . I'm no biologist just a keen observer of what's going on. 

But what about if you are under 10’, 20’ or 80’ of water? 

8 hours ago, z-man said:

But what about if you are under 10’, 20’ or 80’ of water? 

Like I had said I'm no biologist . But I gotta believe they're more keen to their surroundings than we could ever be . How deep can fish sense pressure drops I don't know . But I still believe when I can feel it fish have to be able to. 

11 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

How deep can fish sense pressure drops I don't know . But I still believe when I can feel it fish have to be able to. 

He's saying the water pressure change from a fish going from 5' to 15' is much greater than whatever barometric pressure change exerts on fish underwater.

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

He's saying the water pressure change from a fish going from 5' to 15' is much greater than whatever barometric pressure change exerts on fish underwater.

Yes I understand that I done some diving and understand the pressure at various depths . Like I've already have said I'm no biologist and don't claim to say through hard science how fish react to barometric drops . What I've experienced when it's dropping the bite is better . Don't know why but if it's on the drop I'll be out if I can , 

On a bright night fish feed at night,,,,,maybe,,, but day fishing is sometimes difficult with a full moon,,,,,:naughty: barometric pressure,wind direction,cloud cover,cloud base,temperature,water temperature, water cfm and water pollution,,,,,,,:shock: it's alot of math,,,,,but I don't know some days they just don't bite,,,,,,,:D

8 mins ago, bennie said:

On a bright night fish feed at night,,,,,maybe,,, but day fishing is sometimes difficult with a full moon,,,,,:naughty: barometric pressure,wind direction,cloud cover,cloud base,temperature,water temperature, water cfm and water pollution,,,,,,,:shock: it's alot of math,,,,,but I don't know some days they just don't bite,,,,,,,:D

And on those days the cast net comes in handy.:laugh:

I know that fish sense the barometric pressure drop of impending storms, but there is nothing better in my experience than a giant low pressure system offshore sending giant ocean swells onto land. 

Ok, just got on the water. Will be out from now till 2am-3am.

The weather is nasty rainy/drizzly. 53*F air temp.

Earlier this week on wed and thurs night, 9pm to 2am, it was dead slow. Very soft bites. Only one 23in walleye in those two nights. The weather was clear as a window wiped with windex.

Saturday from 2am till 6am I managed 5 eyes, 15in to 18in only. That was pre-front.

Lets see what happens!

On 11/21/2020 at 10:36 AM, z-man said:

I think that they know the change.  I have been out fish as a storm rolled in and the spot goes from picking at a few all day to a wild blitz just before the storm.