Beastly Backlash

Weather and Fish

40 posts in this topic

My best fishing has always been when there is any of the following, combined or not: rain, sleet, snow, cloud cover, heavy winds, etc...

 

Clear days and clears nights are ho-hum at best.

 

What have you guys experienced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as an example, last night was the slowest night I have had all fall, it was also the clearest and calmest night I have fished all fall. A single fat 23in walleye saved the night when it hit a jig at 130am this morning.

 

When I think back to all my lightest out days for walleye it was rainy, windy, drizzly, overcast. You get the idea.

 

Same with channel cats, smb, and lmb.

 

Not so with flatheads which is odd. Though my PB did come on a nasty fall night while I was pursuing channels. It must have been chasing sauger because where it hit the bait was where I had been catching sauger non-stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to walleye at least, things turn hot once the rain starts dropping.

 

I have seen things go from dead to full on blitz once precipitation starts. It is like someone hit an on switch for the walleye to turn into a pack of rabid wolves.:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

I agree my girl thinks I am nuts because i run out on a foggy morning and skip fishing the blue bird sky days lol

 

I get a lot of head shakes myself.

 

People don't understand, not even a lot of other anglers.

 

Reminds me of the thread in the main, "Convince me to Go Night Fishing" or something like that. I try not to convince people where I live to fish at night or in rougher weather because I don't want to see them.:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

A stable weather pattern for several days with an approaching weather change generally makes for the best freshwater fishing IMO.

 

There are some species that seem to like heavy weather like muskies, wipers, and landlocked salmon and the rougher the better.

 

For years I fished for lake walleyes and they like the approaching fronts, but they tend to shut down after the front passes.

Edited by Jay Blair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i definitely prefer snottier weather most times of the year for fresh and salt water. 

one thing i have not been able to get a handle for walleye is moon effect while night fishing. some books claim full moon is better others the opposite. Personally i haven't been able to determine any significant difference between bright nights and dark nights for walleye.  anyone have a trend pointing to one or the other as better/worse?  Lakes ? rivers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrianZ said:

i definitely prefer snottier weather most times of the year for fresh and salt water. 

one thing i have not been able to get a handle for walleye is moon effect while night fishing. some books claim full moon is better others the opposite. Personally i haven't been able to determine any significant difference between bright nights and dark nights for walleye.  anyone have a trend pointing to one or the other as better/worse?  Lakes ? rivers?

After and before a new moon seems better.  Moon during the day I wait till it sets 

 

But usually I fish when I can :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrianZ said:

i definitely prefer snottier weather most times of the year for fresh and salt water. 

one thing i have not been able to get a handle for walleye is moon effect while night fishing. some books claim full moon is better others the opposite. Personally i haven't been able to determine any significant difference between bright nights and dark nights for walleye.  anyone have a trend pointing to one or the other as better/worse?  Lakes ? rivers?

 

I never paid much attention to moon phases. But, off hand, I do best on waxing and waning phases for flatheads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

After and before a new moon seems better.  Moon during the day I wait till it sets 

 

But usually I fish when I can :)

 

That is always the best time to fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

A stable weather pattern for several days with an approaching weather change generally makes for the best freshwater fishing IMO.

 

There are some species that seem to like heavy weather like muskies, wipers, and landlocked salmon and the rougher the better.

 

For years I fished for lake walleyes and they like the approaching fronts, but they tend to shut down after the front passes.

 

This would explain why the past two nights have been awfully slow for me.

 

We have some nasty weather approaching us, so the action should turn on once again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.