dannyplug1

New tabory book

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed the  game changer book.  His flies are gorgeous.  I was thinking how different the tabory book was.  I wish I could tie like Blane C.  Guess I’ll have to settle for simpler ties and work harder at putting them in the right places and move them in the right ways.

20 hours ago, Drew C. said:

People way over think fly patterns. 

tie what you need or makes you happy. 

This ^^......I love tying new patterns, but at the end of the day I don't think it makes much difference to the fish. Simple patterns that I have confidence in, and are easy to tie, take up the most room in my boxes 

16 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Ah, okay, I misinterpreted that. Tabory has always been a go-to for striped bass information and I have two or three of his other books. This one will very likely get added as well. Thank you. 

I have all the other ones too.Also,participated in a weekend school with him in 1994 on the Cape.

His books are the first ones that guided me in learning saltwater fly fishing in the early 90s. Then I also read works from Ed Mitchell, Ray Bondorew, Kenny Abrams, Popovics, Daignault and many others. But I’ve gone back to Tabory’s many times and recommend his first to beginning fly fishermen more often than any others, though I’ve got plenty of praise for all of them. 

8 hours ago, theshadow said:

I have all the other ones too.Also,participated in a weekend school with him in 1994 on the Cape.

I’m jealous indeed. As said right below you, he’s a resource for saltwater angling that I always return to. Very simply written with a whole lot of info in the writing. 

21 hours ago, baldwin said:

His books are the first ones that guided me in learning saltwater fly fishing in the early 90s. Then I also read works from Ed Mitchell, Ray Bondorew, Kenny Abrams, Popovics, Daignault and many others. But I’ve gone back to Tabory’s many times and recommend his first to beginning fly fishermen more often than any others, though I’ve got plenty of praise for all of them. 

Rich Murphy's book is a great one too.

1 hour ago, theshadow said:

Rich Murphy's book is a great one too.

Yep, I got that one just last year. I'm learning some great info from that one. After you've accumulated dozens of fly fishing books over the last 3 decades much of the stuff you read contains a lot of "rerun" material that you've read (sometimes many times in many books). Rich's book is not like that. There's a lot of new perspective in his writing, including some about two-handed overhead rods and some great innovation in tying larger flies. This is going to be another that I keep re-reading over the years. 

2 hours ago, baldwin said:

Yep, I got that one just last year. I'm learning some great info from that one. After you've accumulated dozens of fly fishing books over the last 3 decades much of the stuff you read contains a lot of "rerun" material that you've read (sometimes many times in many books). Rich's book is not like that. There's a lot of new perspective in his writing, including some about two-handed overhead rods and some great innovation in tying larger flies. This is going to be another that I keep re-reading over the years. 

Used to fish and tie with him back years ago.When he'd come to Truro on vacation.Longnook bch. area was his favorite haunt for the most part.A number of shots in the book are there.His thoughts about stripers is along the line of Kenny Abrames deep thinking in his writing and when you speak with both of them.Made me think differently too.