dannyplug1

New tabory book

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Just finished the most recent Tabory book called designing better flys.  Great book,  Lots of variations of the snake fly.  Basic thesis of the book.  Simple flys easier to tie faster to tie.  Lack of new or expensive materials.  Makes me wonder about all the new books coming out.  Are the patterns better or are the new patterns a way to sell new materials and books?  I also have the new Chocklate  SP book.  Great book very well done but I am going to spend a small fortune on materials.  I wonder about the new flys coming out.  Better to fish your old simple fly's well.  Thinking its the Indian not the arrow. No offense to native Americans intended,

I'm a big fan of Tabory. He is consistent. Time on the water, understand your quarries' behavior, and keep it simple. To each his own, but it makes good sense to me!  

A dedicated teacher who had the ability to make even the worst casters better. He fished up this way a lot and kept style and color pretty basic when doing a class

An old fly tier once said this to me many years ago. The most productive flies ever created have one aspect in common amongst them all. 
They use no more then three materials. Obviously not including thread or hook. Think about it. 
Tabory et al are spot on. 

I’ll quote Joe Humphreys “your basic fundamentals, refined to perfection, are your most advanced techniques.” This applies to life and fly fishing very well, in my opinion. 

Bob Pop’s books are bar none the best I’ve found. He’s great at describing things and keeping it simple. I don’t often get involved with fancy new materials and stick to the basics with great luck. I also much prefer to work with natural materials and their appearance. I also feel a lot better about their biodegradability when losing a fly versus something like a game changer effectively made from plastic. 

Edited by Ftyer

26 mins ago, Drew C. said:

That book is kind of old, no? The one I looked up was 2016. 

Correct 01/15/2016, I wouldn’t consider that old though. My first book was Trout Flies by Dave Hughes, published in 1999. I rented it from the library in 2019,  and it worked for me. Perhaps I didn’t know any better, and if revisited it would seem dated, but I still caught fish with a range of flies that I copied from those texts.

Edited by worldsworstangler

51 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I’ll quote Joe Humphreys “your basic fundamentals, refined to perfection, are your most advanced techniques.” This applies to life and fly fishing very well, in my opinion. 

Bob Pop’s books are bar none the best I’ve found. He’s great at describing things and keeping it simple. I don’t often get involved with fancy new materials and stick to the basics with great luck. I also much prefer to work with natural materials and their appearance. I also feel a lot better about their biodegradability when losing a fly versus something like a game changer effectively made from plastic. 

Yes, Bob’s books are tops. His methodology drives all of his patterns - relatively simple flies, tied to meet a specific need and they perform as needed. 

3 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Blanes book moves from using synthetics to using bucktail and hackles too.I've had it for about 10 days and it's a pretty good read.He does use a lot of material in the construction of his style of flies.But,like all prior styles of tying there's alternatives that can be used in this idea he has worked with for a number of years.:howdy:.He credits Larry Dahlberg and Pop Pop throughout he book.

Edited by theshadow

41 mins ago, theshadow said:

Blanes book moves from using synthetics to using bucktail and hackles too.I've had it for about 10 days and it's a pretty good read.He does use a lot of material in the construction of his style of flies.But,like all prior styles of tying there's alternatives that can be used in this idea he has worked with for a number of years.:howdy:.He credits Larry Dahlberg and Pop Pop throughout he book.

His newest? The one on Game Changers? That’s exciting to hear...I was curious about that but haven’t gotten around to getting it, I believe it’ll be winter addition to the library now. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

His newest? The one on Game Changers? That’s exciting to hear...I was curious about that but haven’t gotten around to getting it, I believe it’ll be winter addition to the library now. Thank you. 

The Tabory book is from 2016.Found it on Amazon used[in a book store with shelf rash but the text is fine for $8 and $4 for shipping.

1 hour ago, theshadow said:

The Tabory book is from 2016.Found it on Amazon used[in a book store with shelf rash but the text is fine for $8 and $4 for shipping.

Ah, okay, I misinterpreted that. Tabory has always been a go-to for striped bass information and I have two or three of his other books. This one will very likely get added as well. Thank you.