sinkbox28

Wire line trolling

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Penn 112H loaded with at least 150 yards of 40- or 50 pound (I prefer the latter) monel wire, marked every 25 yards beginning at the 50 yard point, with enough 50-pound backing to fill the reel.  If you want to spend the money, a specially-built bunker spoon rod (long and soft, to maximize the action of a spoon) along with an "outrodder" attachment to hold the rod roughly parallel to the water's surface.  If you don't want to spend the money for the bunker spoon rod until you know that you'll stay with the method, a soft standard boat rod, built on a soft 30-pound blank, about 7-feet long, fished out of your standard rod holder will still catch fish--perhaps not as well as the dedicated bunker spoon rod, but well enough to get you started.  Just make sure that the rod has guides that will stand up to the wire.

Use a mono leader between spoon and wire line.

Keep your speed under 2 1/2 kt.  You'll know you have it right when the rod tip dips rythmically as the spoon swims.

Keep the spoon within 3 to 5 feet of the bottom.

One thing to think about--which has affected my fishing--is that a fair percentage of the fish that you hook non a spoon will be over the slot size.  Do you think that you'll be able to release those and give them a good chance to survive, particularly if you ikeep the boat in gear during the fight?  I have my doubts, which is one reason that I don't pull spoons any more.

Good info above

to reiterate - MONEL, not stainless

Rods are key for the spoons as stated.  I like my 9' Seekers.  You can also drag umbrellas with them should you choose.

Go down to the local boat ramp on a Saturday.  Hand crank/winch 10 boats up on to the trailer for people.

After about 10 boats, that'll give you a pretty good idea what cranking in 1 decent bass from a 100 yards out on wire is like.

11 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Go down to the local boat ramp on a Saturday.  Hand crank/winch 10 boats up on to the trailer for people.

After about 10 boats, that'll give you a pretty good idea what cranking in 1 decent bass from a 100 yards out on wire is like.

If your only purpose is to put meat on the deck, it ain't angling....

11 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

And likely more fun!

Yeah it catches but this is a technique for putting meat in the boat.  You will be much better off jigging or throwing plugs then dragging crap for bass.

18 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

I think the reel you are looking is the Penn 113HSP.

Its the chrome over over brass spool. 

Made a mistake.  Meant the 113H, not the 112H.

Is lead core an option for bunker spoons?  

Back in my days working charters, the boat always had wire and lead core setups depending on the clientele and level of experience.  We either dragged umbrella rigs or snapped jigs in the rips around The Cape.  Never trolled bunker spoons.

Edited by FoliFish

There is no denying that bunker spoons with wire line on long rods puts fish on the deck, and almost always the bigger fish, when compared to just about every other trolling method out there.  We've tested it side by side with everything too many times to deny it.

But god, it sucks..............

Gimme Mojos, or a Stretch, or even a Chute any day over a wireline spoon.

Hell, give me an umbrella with 4 gators hanging off of it over a wireline spooon.

But it works.............

Just curious what is the benefit of monel wire over Stainless wire?  Yes wire produces but winching in 100 or 150 yards of wire is no fun.  I have two set ups with Penn 340GT's that work well but have gotten very little use the last few years.  Every now and then some of my family is in the mood for it.  

14 hours ago, whaler1889 said:

Just curious what is the benefit of monel wire over Stainless wire?  Yes wire produces but winching in 100 or 150 yards of wire is no fun.  I have two set ups with Penn 340GT's that work well but have gotten very little use the last few years.  Every now and then some of my family is in the mood for it.  

If you get a kink in stainless, it work hardens and breaks.  Not so with monel, much more forgiving, and heavier per linear foot

And agree with the above...wire comes out as last resort when nothing else works as a day saver

On 11/18/2020 at 8:59 PM, JoeyZac said:

That’s funny Joey? But true