Cherry tomato sauce?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Why make sauce to can?  I've canned tomatoes and it takes a lot to fill a jar.  3 or 4 gallons of cherries isn't going to make much sauce.  We don't mind the seeds and one of our favorites is halved cherries, olive oil, garlic and basil to make a quick sauce with rosemary roasted chicken on top.  The whole tomatoes freeze well and I've bagged a few quarts this season so I can take them out and cook them.   

Quote:Originally Posted by Surf HunterI don't wanna grow boobies.

13 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks again,

I also have several bags of “big beef” large slicing tomatoes. A lotta water, but very flavorful. Should I add some of these? I know I’ll have cook it down to evaporate some of the water.

JD

If they tasted good and were very ripe when you froze them....definitely.

7 mins ago, put_em_back said:

Why make sauce to can?  I've canned tomatoes and it takes a lot to fill a jar.  3 or 4 gallons of cherries isn't going to make much sauce.  We don't mind the seeds and one of our favorites is halved cherries, olive oil, garlic and basil to make a quick sauce with rosemary roasted chicken on top.  The whole tomatoes freeze well and I've bagged a few quarts this season so I can take them out and cook them.   

Agreed but he has a sht ton of them so it’s better than wasting them.  You yield 2 quarts of reduced Passata (depending on how much you reduce it or course)  per gallon of tomatoes. All tomatoes have a lot of water. 2 quarts of Passata is enough for a 2 pounds of Passata. Enough to feed 4 people (plus meatballs).

30 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Agreed but he has a sht ton of them so it’s better than wasting them.  You yield 2 quarts of reduced Passata (depending on how much you reduce it or course)  per gallon of tomatoes. All tomatoes have a lot of water. 2 quarts of Passata is enough for a 2 pounds of Passata. Enough to feed 4 people (plus meatballs).

Ok.  When he said "a few" I thought maybe 3 or 4 gallons which like you said, isn't very much when considering the amount of water in them.  Our season was crummy so I only canned 6 qts of San Marzanos and bagged and froze 4 qts of  cherries.  

Quote:Originally Posted by Surf HunterI don't wanna grow boobies.

Just now, put_em_back said:

Ok.  When he said "a few" I thought maybe 3 or 4 gallons which like you said, isn't very much when considering the amount of water in them.  Our season was crummy so I only canned 6 qts of San Marzanos and bagged and froze 4 qts of  cherries.  

My cherries were great this year, every other tomato varietal I grew was terrible (easily could've been my fault and not mother nature's).  the farmer's market around the corner from me sells tomato "seconds" I buy a crate or two of them when i'm jarring.  I think mixing tomatoes varietals makes for a better sauce, I throw them all in the mill.

I've been eyeing one of those electric tomato mills.  You need a lot of kids to crank out 2 or 3 crates of tomatoes LOL.

17 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Do not attempt with a strainer.  Dumb idea - you will lose a lot of your product not to mention your mind.

:rolleyes:

I do it ALL THE TIME with tremendous success. 

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

On 11/18/2020 at 2:02 AM, jjdbike said:

So I have several gallon freezer bags of frozen cherry tomatoes, sun sweet & sweet 100. I also have a few (very few) Romas. These were frozen whole & raw.

I want to make a big batch of sauce.

I have a couple questions please.

1. What is the best way to approach to using cherry tomatoes for sauce, I.e., roast, purée them, etc?

2. I’m thinking about making a general “utility sauce”, that I can thaw, add various ingredients as I warm it for different purposes.  For instance, oregano for pizza, Extra garlic & olives for puttenesca, hot peppers for fra diavlo, cheese, mushrooms or basil for pasta, etc. Does this make sense or is it a bad idea?

I'd appreciate your suggestions and experiences.

Thanks!

JD

Basic Marcella Hazan tomato sauce. I make it all the time from garden tomatoes and can. When you open a jar, add whatever floats your boat for the dish your making.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:22 PM, jjdbike said:

Gone one,

thanks again!

JD

Well spent 50 bucks 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I've never freezed my cherry tomatoes.....they're always eaten fresh.

I'm curious to find out how the dish came out?

If I have the desire to make a sauce during the winter or Spring I just use a can or two of San Marzano's tomatoes and have at it.   

Hope it came out great.

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

On 11/18/2020 at 8:29 AM, Steve in Mass said:

The food mill will remove the tough skins and some of the seeds. My Mom used to have a very old metal one, was a metal "pot" with sieve like wholes and a fin that you cranked by hand.  Short of having a mill, you could use a metal strainer like this:

strainer.jpg.e24f24ea2b8878d0229a1bf348d4db3a.jpg

and use a spoon to push the pulp thru.

On 11/18/2020 at 1:46 PM, Cpalms said:

I would definitely use a food mill to make "passata" as the italians call it.  The milling removes the seeds and skin - both of which add a slight bitterness to a sauce when cooked.  Making passata is a time honored tradition in Italy and I can remember my grandmother doing it - it's also a fun activity to do with kids.  Only downside with the cherries is your passata maybe very sweet.

Run the cherries through a food mill.  Then all of the passata goes into a stock pot to reduce.  After reducing by about 1/4 pour your piping hot passata in quart jars with the two piece jaring lids.  Leave the jars upside down for a few hours and you will have your stash jarred and will store well for a long time. Lots of youtube videos on this.

Do not attempt with a strainer.  Dumb idea - you will lose a lot of your product not to mention your mind.  Buy an Oxo food mill for $50.  Great kitchen tool to have, especially if you grow tomatoes.

15 hours ago, JimW said:

Well spent 50 bucks 

Yes, it's just tomatoes. I appreciate ALL of the advice here.

I'm sure the strainer would work, I've done similar with other things.

I already bought the food mill. Just sounded easier.

We're coming up on Thanksgiving. Let's let this go and enjoy the upcoming holiday.

Thanks everyone.

I'll post a report.

JD

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thank you!

JD

I just blanch my tomatoes, drop then in a sink of cold water, remove the skin and core. Cook and simmer the tomatoes down , and just keep smashing them down with an old time potato smasher. No need to strain and all that. I helped my grandmother as a kid, my mom did them that way, and my wife's family can's them that way.

During the summer, I have plenty of San Marzano, Amish Paste, Krims, Cherokees, Rose, and Brandywines for canning. Funny not many people can anymore, but with COVID, it was nearly impossible to fine canning supplies.

26 mins ago, JAL said:

I just blanch my tomatoes, drop then in a sink of cold water, remove the skin and core. Cook and simmer the tomatoes down , and just keep smashing them down with an old time potato smasher. No need to strain and all that. I helped my grandmother as a kid, my mom did them that way, and my wife's family can's them that way.

During the summer, I have plenty of San Marzano, Amish Paste, Krims, Cherokees, Rose, and Brandywines for canning. Funny not many people can anymore, but with COVID, it was nearly impossible to fine canning supplies.

Removing the seeds is key to certain sauces, like a Ragu, where using canned whole tomatoes is good for others.  Many Italian grandmothers never gave the seeds a moments thought, some thought it was crucial.  Many ways to skin the cat.

5 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Clearly you have never done this processing before yet you still volunteered this self appointed expert advice

Shows how little you know. Been processing BUSHELS of tomatoes for many years, aside from using the same method for other things, and it works just fine.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174