Bait Tailer

Rigged eels for 2021 circle hook regulations

Rate this topic

249 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, DZ said:

Surfcasters  take another regulation squarely on the chin as they are an important tool in the bag of tricks.  Be interesting to see if they will fish effectively adorned with circles. It’s probably a good thing that many rigged eels do not make an appearance  until the cover of darkness. 

I don’t fish them often, but when I do it’s when nothing else seems to be working and I have a big fish hunch.  My new PB took a 17incher last month, so I’m not giving up on them easily. 

Here’s the soft circle rig I’m going to try with a shank lashed in the eel’s head in place of the bait keeper screw.  I haven’t tried the sickle shaped circles but can imagine it helps keep the bait from sliding to a less ideal position.

6404D02D-B0C1-4D9B-BA22-FAFFF68CC07C.jpeg.23a9ac3815a196316a79ac569e3baadd.jpeg

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Al Bentsen and the other old timers used a copper chain to the second hook for extra weight and casting distance or maybe just for bluefish.  The right size weighted bead chain through the vent and belly to shank might provide enough keel to make up for a second hook.

Edited by Bait Tailer

3 hours ago, DZ said:

Surfcasters  take another regulation squarely on the chin as they are an important tool in the bag of tricks.  Be interesting to see if they will fish effectively adorned with circles. It’s probably a good thing that many rigged eels do not make an appearance  until the cover of darkness. 

Got any wobbleheads w/circle hooks??

:waah:

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Got any wobbleheads w/circle hooks??

:waah:

Make a mold of the Point Judith and then pour your own with a circle hook of your choice.....problem solved.   

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Make a mold of the Point Judith and then pour your own with a circle hook of your choice.....problem solved.   

giphy.gif

Really don’t think that will work based on my understanding of circle hooks. Even hook point down. 

5 hours ago, CWitek said:

There's a pretty good chance that's exactly what would happen.

And yes, I might have confused the shark and bass circle hook requirements.  I spend a good part of the summer offshore tagging sharks,so... 

Cheezus.

Tough out there, huh.

Gonna be hilarious to witness enforcement down here in the Chesapeake.

1 hour ago, Bait Tailer said:

Really don’t think that will work based on my understanding of circle hooks. Even hook point down. 

O.k.  .....why can't your re-orient the hook the other way.....big fish will slam a hook anyway your set it up!

1 hour ago, flylikabird said:

O.k.  .....why can't your re-orient the hook the other way.....big fish will slam a hook anyway your set it up!

Of course it will work, try change all the hooks on your plugs to circle hooks.:laugh:

On 11/18/2020 at 10:35 AM, CWitek said:

The ASMFC's Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board decided that there would be no exceptions to the circle hook rule at its October meeting.  The decision was based, at least in part, on advice from the Commission's Law Enforcement Committee, which advised that any exception would make the requirement less effective.  Snag and drop will thus be a prohibited technique as of the beginning of the 2021 season.  Eels will have to be rigged with circles.

Good luck enforcing that one. About to be a lot more guys snag and dropping for blue's.

11 hours ago, DZ said:

Agreed, that EPO had better be pretty dedicated to his night patrol and wearing a wetsuit if he wants to check my riggies :howdy:

I can't see myself ever rigging an eel with circles, for that matter I can't remember ever doing an unusual amount of damage to a bass while fishing riggies. Conscience clean.

6 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Good luck enforcing that one. About to be a lot more guys snag and dropping for blue's.

What bluefish? You guys are catching bluefish?

A lot of supposed fishermen/sportsmen are talking out of their tookus .. And they will conform to all the rules and regulations on SOL to sound like true sportsmen ... But what people will be doing in reality is to be seen on the water..

7 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

A lot of supposed fishermen/sportsmen are talking out of their tookus .. And they will conform to all the rules and regulations on SOL to sound like true sportsmen ... But what people will be doing in reality is to be seen on the water..

These "sportsmen" will claim that circle hook riggies are an ethical necesity under the law while they also throw J hook, McKenna rigged sluggos without a second thought. The hypocrisy is tangible and the scope of the law is ridiculous, clearly written by politicians and officials without any real grasp of the situation.

27 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

These "sportsmen" will claim that circle hook riggies are an ethical necesity under the law while they also throw J hook, McKenna rigged sluggos without a second thought. The hypocrisy is tangible and the scope of the law is ridiculous, clearly written by politicians and officials without any real grasp of the situation.

That reg is destined to become a non observed “blue law” in the surf. 

17 mins ago, DZ said:

That reg is destined to become a non observed “blue law” in the surf. 

Are you suggesting that it only applies on Sundays?

:howdy:

9 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

Not looking to upset anyone. I don't know either of you so assume you're directing your frustration at other imaginary surfcasters on SOL. 

I love the soft circle rig.  Used it for tarpon in the keys with my uncle in 2010 and it's by far my favorite way to fish weightless soft plastics.  Gives you the movement of the entire length of the bait and allows a more natural drift and swing.  I honestly hate the McKenna rig.  Doesn't suit any of my spots.  And after sticking an owner beast hook straight through the brain of a small slot fish, I've fished the soft circle rig exclusively. 

Don't see why it wouldn't work for rigged eels. 

Back on topic. Just found some ballyhoo o-ring and mullet dredging pin rig methods that gave me some ideas for rigging with weight.