Bait Tailer

Rigged eels for 2021 circle hook regulations

Rate this topic

249 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Dave T. said:

What if I am using my J hook riggies to target blues, of course understanding that any striper I “accidentally” caught would need to be released

;0)

Smart. Loophole lol

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Must be inline, and non-stainless steel.

I see nothing mentioned on steel type. Just shape. 

Have anything in print?

21 hours ago, ermghoti said:

The Mutu pattern has about as much shank as I've seen, I like them for chunks and back-hooked live baits. It looks like they'd be compliant, as the design was for sailfish tournaments, but I guess we'll eventually hear a ruling.

mutu.jpg

I have used these hooks for Fluke and they are great .. They are called sport circle hooks..

On 11/18/2020 at 10:58 AM, CWitek said:

There will undoubtedly be some people who will still snag-and-drop, and say that the fish just happened to grab their bait on the way in.  In New York, they'd be legally required to release any bass caught that way, so the legal jeopardy would be about the same.  If an enforcement officer happened to be in the area, you would have a problem.

So what happens? If you've got a coolered bass, and DNR asks to see your rig - BAM! fined if you don't have circles on it? 

That note on non-stainless makes sense, but I've only ever seen that stipulation for sharks.

1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

I have used these hooks for Fluke and they are great .. They are called sport circle hooks..

They better than a O-style circle? (For fluke specifically?)

I've never really chased them heavily.

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

As long as the point is perpendicular with the shank, and the shank, barb, and point are in the same plane, you're OK under the ASMFC definition.  It's very unlikely, but not impossible, that a state will add additional qualifications.

I even crush the barbs on my circle hooks..

Surfcasters  take another regulation squarely on the chin as they are an important tool in the bag of tricks.  Be interesting to see if they will fish effectively adorned with circles. It’s probably a good thing that many rigged eels do not make an appearance  until the cover of darkness. 

5 mins ago, DZ said:

Surfcasters  take another regulation squarely on the chin as they are an important tool in the bag of tricks.  Be interesting to see if they will fish effectively adorned with circles. It’s probably a good thing that many rigged eels do not make an appearance  until the cover of darkness. 

I am not happy about the new regulation in it's current form. Too over reaching if you ask me. The "natural bait" definition part scares me, too broad, too far.

2 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Keep trying buddy. Not inline, hook points less than 90 degree from shank.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, hobobob said:

Keep trying buddy. Not inline, hook points less than 90 degree from shank.

They are over 90° to the shank. The pattern was developed to comply with billfish circle hook regulations.

Edit: wait, are "sport circles" a different hook?

Edit 2: gotcha.

Edited by ermghoti

Just now, ermghoti said:

They are over 90° to the shank. The pattern was developed to comply with billfish circle hook regulations.

Not yours. The sporting circle mentioned by SY.

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I see nothing mentioned on steel type. Just shape. 

Have anything in print?

It's not impossible that I confused that with federal shark circle hooks requirement.  I thought non-stainless was a requirement, but I looked back at Addendum VI and it wasn't there.

2 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

So what happens? If you've got a coolered bass, and DNR asks to see your rig - BAM! fined if you don't have circles on it? 

That note on non-stainless makes sense, but I've only ever seen that stipulation for sharks.

There's a pretty good chance that's exactly what would happen.

And yes, I might have confused the shark and bass circle hook requirements.  I spend a good part of the summer offshore tagging sharks,so...