Bait Tailer

Rigged eels for 2021 circle hook regulations

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

1 min ago, CWitek said:

The ASMFC's Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board decided that there would be no exceptions to the circle hook rule at its October meeting.  The decision was based, at least in part, on advice from the Commission's Law Enforcement Committee, which advised that any exception would make the requirement less effective.  Snag and drop will thus be a prohibited technique as of the beginning of the 2021 season.  Eels will have to be rigged with circles.

That’s good and bad news I guess.  Wondering if the use of snag hooks at all to acquire bait would be a better rule.  I see possible problems with both the rigged eel and snagged pogy rules.

16 mins ago, DZ said:

That’s good and bad news I guess.  Wondering if the use of snag hooks at all to acquire bait would be a better rule.  I see possible problems with both the rigged eel and snagged pogy rules.

There will undoubtedly be some people who will still snag-and-drop, and say that the fish just happened to grab their bait on the way in.  In New York, they'd be legally required to release any bass caught that way, so the legal jeopardy would be about the same.  If an enforcement officer happened to be in the area, you would have a problem.

What if I am using my J hook riggies to target blues, of course understanding that any striper I “accidentally” caught would need to be released

;0)

2 mins ago, Dave T. said:

All kidding aside, looks like I’ll be rigging up some this winter with circles. Is there a stipulation for inline vs offset? 

Inline. 

58 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Speaking of rigged eels - does anyone make long-shanked circles?

I've always wanted to try something like that for blues, but couldn't ever find anything.

The shank can only be so long before the eye will bump the hook point away from the fish's mouth.

33 mins ago, ermghoti said:

The shank can only be so long before the eye will bump the hook point away from the fish's mouth.

This is true.

I wonder if the hooks we're sold are at that line, or if the shank could be longer and they lowball to maximize hookups.

The Mutu pattern has about as much shank as I've seen, I like them for chunks and back-hooked live baits. It looks like they'd be compliant, as the design was for sailfish tournaments, but I guess we'll eventually hear a ruling.

mutu.jpg

22 hours ago, Dave T. said:

All kidding aside, looks like I’ll be rigging up some this winter with circles. Is there a stipulation for inline vs offset? 

Must be inline, and non-stainless steel.

14 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Does the shape of the hook matter?

"Inline" and "90 degrees" are really the only things I've heard as a definition.

As long as the point is perpendicular with the shank, and the shank, barb, and point are in the same plane, you're OK under the ASMFC definition.  It's very unlikely, but not impossible, that a state will add additional qualifications.