Bait Tailer

Rigged eels for 2021 circle hook regulations

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Now that ASFMC will require circle hooks for ALL bait for ALL striper fishing techniques in 2021, anyone have any ideas for circle hook rigged eels?

Even though I never gut hooked a fish on a rigged eel, I fully support the simplicity and clarity of the decision and think it’s long overdue.

Weightless rigging probably wont be too hard.  The soft circle rig is simple and effective enough for the big plastics.  I can imagine a similar setup with the eel’s head lashed to a shank and the eye of the shank threaded onto a big circle with a tube or stopper bead.

But rigged on jig heads has been my go to. Maybe a bullet or worm sinker on the shank for lighter weights?  Scooby through/doo rig off the shank or circle?

Hoping to test some options on what’s left of the fall run.

Edited by Bait Tailer

I thought the use of jig heads was the exception to the circle hook rule as the “jig” is the lure and the eel simply a trailer? I thought I read that somewhere, could be wrong.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I heard that a while back too but think it was only in the MA circle hook reg they implemented from this year.  Next year the will be circle hooks for any and all use of a broad definition of bait for striped bass.

Edited by Bait Tailer

Back earlier this season we posed that question to state officials and they said guidance would be provided concerning using dead eels as a “lure”. Same thing with bunker snagging.  Snagging Trebles would otherwise have to be rigged with circle hooks to snag and drop.  

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

I've never fished with live/dead eels (too delicious imo)  so excuse my ignorance. 

But why wouldn't a circle hook work for eels?

That hint of sweetness to the flesh is amazing. Very similar to fluke

9 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

That hint of sweetness to the flesh is amazing. Very similar to fluke

Very delicious however the bone situation is a pain. If I extract the meat properly it's not too much of a big deal but otherwise it's wonderful on the plate.

I just cut em into chunks about 4-5in long. Then eat em off the bone or pull the meat off the bone.   

But I haven't done em in quite awhile.  I haven't caught many the past few years. 

always thought I was the only one that ate eels...

I make an incision around behind the gill plate, pliers on the mouth and peel the skin off.  Breaded and fried, delish.

In regards to rigging; always ate them before I could use'em for bait..  :shrug:

9 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

always thought I was the only one that ate eels...

I make an incision around behind the gill plate, pliers on the mouth and peel the skin off.  Breaded and fried, delish.

In regards to rigging; always ate them before I could use'em for bait..  :shrug:

Growing up I think my grandmother would have had a aneurysm if she saw someone using an eel for bait!  

Never even skinned them. Just gutted, scaled & scraped the slime off. I think she may have gave them a soak in vinegar & water, but not 100% sure.  Seasoned corn flour and fried.   

I skin them.  

18 hours ago, Dave T. said:

I thought the use of jig heads was the exception to the circle hook rule as the “jig” is the lure and the eel simply a trailer? I thought I read that somewhere, could be wrong.

Massachusetts proposed that, but the ASMFC denied the state's request.

16 hours ago, DZ said:

Back earlier this season we posed that question to state officials and they said guidance would be provided concerning using dead eels as a “lure”. Same thing with bunker snagging.  Snagging Trebles would otherwise have to be rigged with circle hooks to snag and drop.  

The ASMFC's Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board decided that there would be no exceptions to the circle hook rule at its October meeting.  The decision was based, at least in part, on advice from the Commission's Law Enforcement Committee, which advised that any exception would make the requirement less effective.  Snag and drop will thus be a prohibited technique as of the beginning of the 2021 season.  Eels will have to be rigged with circles.