tcarroll

Salt-X 6000 problem...question???

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I've got a Salt-X that I've used 3 times. First trip out nice and smooth, no problems. 

Second and third trip, it started out smooth. Then after about an hour or so the reel got very stiff and geary. That lasted about a 15 or 20 minutes then back to smooth again. It stayed smooth the rest of the outing, no problems.

It wasn't dunked but did get splashed.

I opened the side cover, the main gear bearing did not stay in the side cover. It was on the main gear shaft. Should that bearing be pressed into the side cover? 

Outside of that, everything looked fine. No water or any signs of intrusion.

What would cause the stiff/gearyness to come and go?

Gearyness that comes and goes in my experience is a bearing issue not a gear issue.  Bad bearings are very common. 

Intermittent stiffness... In a new reel this time of year could be lubrication.. Fluctuations in temps when in storage and use... Lubrication settling.. Dispersing.. Etc. Add seals to the equation and it can amplify what you feel. 

Ive seen metal/plastic shavings cause hang ups that would come and go 

The bearing coming out with the gear isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's great to see a precision bore and a bearing that snaps in and out. But just because it doesn't fit with NASA precision doesn't mean it's a problem. 

Now if it wollers around in the pocket.. That's a major problem. 

Thanks Scooby,  I was hoping you'd respond to this. 

When it was acting up, I spun the rotor and it turned freely. 

You think it could be the main gear bearing?

8 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Gearyness that comes and goes in my experience is a bearing issue not a gear issue.  Bad bearings are very common. 

Intermittent stiffness... In a new reel this time of year could be lubrication.. Fluctuations in temps when in storage and use... Lubrication settling.. Dispersing.. Etc. Add seals to the equation and it can amplify what you feel. 

Ive seen metal/plastic shavings cause hang ups that would come and go 

The bearing coming out with the gear isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's great to see a precision bore and a bearing that snaps in and out. But just because it doesn't fit with NASA precision doesn't mean it's a problem. 

Now if it wollers around in the pocket.. That's a major problem. 

Gringding can come from the handle knob too.

Here's a funny story... 

Bout 10 years ago...trolling for tuna in the Hudson canyon...we get wolfpacked by Bigeye tooners.

On fish hit a bar perpendicular to the spread and headed a few degrees to the port bow.....

Unfortunately the outrigger clip didnt' release because someone moved the rod to the starboard bow holder......ughh..

Well when it did release....The line landed on the handle knob of my 08 Stella Sw sitting up in the rocket launcher.......It spun so fast it sounded like a fire whistle....

Anyway.....I thought it damaged the reel....felt gear and was noisey etc....Figured I'd take advantage of the Platinum service and send it out.......

Fast forward a week....Invoice said they put new gears and bearings in it....(they didn't...main gear still had my grease up against the axel....bearing had my grease in em too..)

It was still geary as well..

It was at this point I wanted to replace the handle knob since the line cut it....Popped on a tranx 500 knob and bearings.....

THE REEL WAS LIKE NEW AGAIN......

Lesson learned....and one of the major reasons why I like bushings over bearings......The softer while being stable and having a low coefficient of friction the better.

One of the reasons my Visser felt so geary early on....a few crunches later and whatever was in the knob....seems to work it's way in a bit and it's not all that bad.

I can't tell do you have a bearing check tool?

They're like 4 $ on ebay...anyone who fishes the salt or has baitcasters should have one.

OR the bearing bad tool bearing puller acts as a puller and check tool

Run it on that and check (tapered rod can used too.  The hollow ass end of the check tool amplifies the sound.

10 hours ago, tcarroll said:

I've got a Salt-X that I've used 3 times. First trip out nice and smooth, no problems. 

Second and third trip, it started out smooth. Then after about an hour or so the reel got very stiff and geary. That lasted about a 15 or 20 minutes then back to smooth again. It stayed smooth the rest of the outing, no problems.

It wasn't dunked but did get splashed.

I opened the side cover, the main gear bearing did not stay in the side cover. It was on the main gear shaft. Should that bearing be pressed into the side cover? 

Outside of that, everything looked fine. No water or any signs of intrusion.

What would cause the stiff/gearyness to come and go?

was there a good amount of grease in it?

every spinning reel should be checked before any time OTW IMHO.

factories don't grease them enough most of the time.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

Any chance it was just sand that intruded when it got splashed with a wave then worked itself out?  Happens to me frequently

Edited by FoliFish

Posted (edited) · Report post

51 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Any chance it was just sand that intruded when it got splashed with a wave then worked itself out?  Happens to me frequently

I don't think so. 

I did get hit with a couple of sandy splashes. The sand did get between the rotor and the body and made for a couple of grindy cranks but it would work itself fairly quick.

The grind I'm talking about feels like it's inside the reel.

The odd part is it comes and goes, not after a wave hit.

I tried the reel this 30 degree morning, it feels a little stiffer than normal due to the grease being cold.  Outside of that it feels normal right now.

Edited by tcarroll

2 mins ago, tcarroll said:

I don't think so. 

I did get hit with a couple of sandy splashes. The sand did get between the rotor and the body and made for a couple of grindy cranks but it would work itself fairly quick.

The grind I'm talking about feels like it's inside the reel.

The odd part is it comes and goes, not after a wave hit.

I tried the reel this 30 degree morning, it feels a little stiffer due to the grease being cold.  

Got it.  it was worth a shot lol

2 hours ago, shark lobster said:

The grease they use is thick and very sticky ! 
my 4 k had a ton of it sitting in the rear of the case ! Still cant get drag open ! 

Yes, I did notice the grease was very tacky.

Just figured I'd follow up on the problem. 

It appears that there is no problem. 

I've been out the last three days with it and it's been working great. Smooth and no gearyness, if that's a word.

Maybe it was sand.....maybe it needed to be broken in. I don't know but so far,  so good.