Jim in WA

Spray booth for flammable paint

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Okay I am going to throw this one out there. 
First of all thank you to all the members here. Your information and critiques have helped me tremendously.

Has anyone ever tried using a marine inline bilge fan (or 2) for their paint booth? I want to use the createx auto paint  and clears.

I want to work in the hobby room in our house so the system has to be efficient. I have found several that have a higher CFM than the 120v fans. They are much cheaper than 120v hermetically sealed units and the difference in price would easily pay for a 12v power supply.

Edited by Jim in WA
Bad grammar on my part

this may help or not, but for the past 15 plus years I've been using jenn air down draft fans for painting,clears and lead melting..their a 6" or 8" intake with a big squirrel cage fan with an exterior motor built on the side..these were made for grease smoke in cooking stoves.I sprayed with rattle cans for years..no smell..melting lead with lots of smoke and fumes again no smell.Now how I set up the spray box I took a large plastic fish tote and set it up  so she sets at the right height [for me] on top of a garbage can...then covered the tote with masons wire as a open top to set things on and for the spray to far pass through...I took the the large hose they come with an cut a hole on the end of the tote an place the hose in it then covered the hose end with  a fine filter...I only did started using the filter a few years ago because after a few years the squirrel cage would fill up with dried paint an suction would start to slow down,,at that point I'd need to take the fan apart to clean it...I use a dryer vent hose on the out going end of things attached to a exterior  dryer vent with a flapper on it...these fans are quiet with balls ,they also come with brackets so you can place them any which way you want...two of these fans are in my basement and one in my office.

Took a furnace blower, squirrel cage in a metal box basically,  bought a couple bearings made a long shaft and supports for bearings,  mounted squirrel cage blower on the shaft put the whole thing in a wood box I built and hung it from ceiling in front of the cellar window which I removed and customized. A pulley was mounted on shaft outside of box and a motor attached to the pulley so no electricity inside box where flammable spray would be. Spray booth is attached to the blower box via 2 ducts and a furnace filter is installed to keep paint dust off of blower and away you go. Pretty easy and fairly cheap to build. 

38CD1CD2-08A5-45DF-85BA-C91F8CF45DB2.jpeg

B8BFC990-AD6E-4839-9B9A-1141187ACBAB.jpeg

37986230-1FBF-47F7-96A4-09DB0D39D108.jpeg

CD5239D6-2B2C-4552-B05F-5533B019EF2B.jpeg

EB19CF83-53B2-4D87-8E4A-5AE051E670C2.jpeg

0B49DDEA-D75F-4880-A476-2D8BF8CD5823.jpeg

On 11/17/2020 at 4:56 AM, lazzyone said:

I don't think anything in the createx line requires an explosion proof fan.

Please do yourself a favor. Read the safety data sheets. The base paints by themselves are not listed as hazardous. Certain reducers, Clears in the auto line do require respiratory protection.

If that is required then 9 times out of 10, It is Flammable/Combustable.

I can tell you from personal experience you do not want “just get it done” or “Western it” as we say out here. I definitely wish I wasn’t young and dumb earlier in life.

Do not make your hobby a life changing experience in a bad way.

I mean this in the greatest respect to all of you.

Edited by Jim in WA

15 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Took a furnace blower, squirrel cage in a metal box basically,  bought a couple bearings made a long shaft and supports for bearings,  mounted squirrel cage blower on the shaft put the whole thing in a wood box I built and hung it from ceiling in front of the cellar window which I removed and customized. A pulley was mounted on shaft outside of box and a motor attached to the pulley so no electricity inside box where flammable spray would be. Spray booth is attached to the blower box via 2 ducts and a furnace filter is installed to keep paint dust off of blower and away you go. Pretty easy and fairly cheap to build. 

38CD1CD2-08A5-45DF-85BA-C91F8CF45DB2.jpeg

B8BFC990-AD6E-4839-9B9A-1141187ACBAB.jpeg

37986230-1FBF-47F7-96A4-09DB0D39D108.jpeg

CD5239D6-2B2C-4552-B05F-5533B019EF2B.jpeg

EB19CF83-53B2-4D87-8E4A-5AE051E670C2.jpeg

0B49DDEA-D75F-4880-A476-2D8BF8CD5823.jpeg

Yes,  I definitely like your build. I was thinking of a more portable unit. Multi-use room in the house. Thx for all your help along the way. Your cutter is excellent. One of the best improvements. So much less tear out.

Edited by Jim in WA

Spraying flammable stuff smells real strong  so if your married I doubt that will go over well anywhere in the house other than the cellar. Some of those clears and paints  have a stink that can end a marriage. 

46 mins ago, Jim in WA said:

Please do yourself a favor. Read the safety data sheets. The base paints by themselves are not listed as hazardous. Certain reducers, Clears in the auto line do require respiratory protection.

If that is required then 9 times out of 10, It is Flammable/Combustable.

I can tell you from personal experience you do not want “just get it done” or “Western it” as we say out here. I definitely wish I wasn’t young and dumb earlier in life.

Do not make your hobby a life changing experience in a bad way.

I mean this in the greatest respect to all of you.

I'm not saying not to wear a respirator.. I'm saying You don't need an explosion proof fan on your booth for createx. I've read the safety data sheets. The createx line of paint, clear and reducers aren't flammable. 

Yes I agree not flammable.no issues.  Using a spray booth and getting atomized paint out of air is the important thing for your lungs and why I use a booth. I don’t use flammable stuff too often and if I can I do it outdoors weather permitting. 

I used the same squirrel cage as paul over two lathes and built a square tube to the basement window...for all the fine dust that the vac doesn't get while spinning..only problem it sucks all the heat out too in the winter.....the jenn air fan can be mounted on top of a spray box as well for mobile unit.

20201119_062728.jpg

Yes I did read the part of their less than complete SDS. Part of it doesn’t jive. How can it be nonflammable when it states a VOC concentration of a significant amount. After looking at many MSDS sheets over a lifetime I will error on the side of caution. Besides my goal is to get set up where I can get away from using a respirator. As always a work in progress. Thx guys