Looking for a spinning reel for tog.

Rate this topic

justtrynafish

I have a blackhole 701l that I've used for fluking, using bucktails and chicken rigs up to 6-8 oz. According to reviews of this rod, it can probably handle a bit more.

I'm looking for a small reel that I could use for tog jigging as well as hook&sinker rigs when needed. I know the rod can handle heavy sinkers, but I don't want my reel to blow up under all the weight. I've been looking at the Daiwa BG 2500, Penn Battle 3 2500, and Tsunami Evict. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

59 mins ago, Snaps said:

I hear ya, but, IMHO, Spinner NADA for Jigging Tog, so, you need a bigger reel ????!!

Small baitcaster has sufficient drag and gearing.

But he wanted a spinner because he wants his spinning rod to  do double duty,  to jig for tog.

Saseach his own !!!!

What the living **** are you talking about?

The Magnificent Presence

On 11/16/2020 at 0:55 PM, justtrynafish said:

I have a blackhole 701l that I've used for fluking, using bucktails and chicken rigs up to 6-8 oz. According to reviews of this rod, it can probably handle a bit more.

I'm looking for a small reel that I could use for tog jigging as well as hook&sinker rigs when needed. I know the rod can handle heavy sinkers, but I don't want my reel to blow up under all the weight. I've been looking at the Daiwa BG 2500, Penn Battle 3 2500, and Tsunami Evict. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The rod is more than capable for tog jigging... And imho, of your stated reel choices, the evict would be your best bet..  I would opt for the 4000 size.. I believe tsunami even marketed the evict for jigging/bottom fishing..  stainless main gear, pinion and shaft.. some seals..

my buddy uses the evict for tog jigging off his kayak and it's been rock solid.. worth mentioning that he seldom cleans or services his gear, so anything that survives his abuse, is likely a fairly well made product. 

1 hour ago, Snaps said:

why the eff woud you want to use a spinner for jigging tog??? 

John Skinner explained that while he likes a baitcaster for fluke he uses a spinner for tog because he can instantly get that first few reels up before the tog figures out what's going on and heads for cover, as opposed to switching hands.  Seems to me a lefty conventional would serve, but people got religion about that stuff. Me, I always use spinners because I wasn't raised using conventional and the switching hands thing always seemed totally stupid to me. Obviously it works for many so it's just a preference.

Any reel will work fine for jigging tog. Most of the fish weigh a few pounds maybe above ten if you’re real lucky. They fight hard for the first few seconds trying to get back to the bottom but that’s it. We’re not talking about jigging giant bluefin tuna here. 

I like  spinning for jigging … can use much lighter gear  & still get to the bottom or pitch it if you have to .

this year  // for some stupid reason I started also using my  fluke  baitcasters  for tautog .  Garcia  ambassadors   /   or corsirs   /  & I,m been able to stay in shallow waters .  15 - 25'     / great for  small fish

well that,s all changed  .     I,m   now looking for a conv  larger than what I,vs been using but not up to my stripers setups .

the spinning so far has been great with 4000,s       but when ya hook large on the  small    conventional  its only a matter of time before  ya pay the price ..