Longcast spinning reel vs conventional/multiplier reel

Rate this topic

LookingForLeviathan

Been working on my technique a lot lately but still can't always get it where I need it. Soo i've decided ill either get a longcast (probably ssvi 65/7500 or maybe a ULTEGRA XTC), or an 11ft casting rod for one of my conventional reels.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both and how distance compares. How would the level wind affect distance. Should i use the one without the LW. Would prob end up using mono on the conventional reel at least to start so how will that change things.

I think i'm inclined to get a longcast reel because i think id be more willing to wade in which would give me a good extra bit of distance and maybe a cheep casting rod cause i think i want to learn. But any thoughts welcome.

What are you trying to cast, and where are you trying to fish? Where I'm from we throw 8oz sinkers with 2-8oz of bait. The only way to effectively do this is with a conventional reel. Level winds don't allow the easy passage of shock leader knots and rob you of distance. If maximum distance is the only thing you are after then the only way to do it is with conventional reels and mono line. If long cast spinners and braid were as/more effective at the pure distance game, then tournament casters would be using them.. Conversely, if you're throwing lighter lures like plugs etc. Where a specific action is desired then spinning is the way to go. 

10 hours ago, Surfjunki said:

If long cast spinners and braid were as/more effective at the pure distance game, then tournament casters would be using them

Actually we can't, as tournament casting rules dont allow for braid to be used. Mono only, same rules as for conventional reels.

17 hours ago, LookingForLeviathan said:

Been working on my technique a lot lately but still can't always get it where I need it. Soo i've decided ill either get a longcast (probably ssvi 65/7500 or maybe a ULTEGRA XTC), or an 11ft casting rod for one of my conventional reels.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both and how distance compares. How would the level wind affect distance. Should i use the one without the LW. Would prob end up using mono on the conventional reel at least to start so how will that change things.

I think i'm inclined to get a longcast reel because i think id be more willing to wade in which would give me a good extra bit of distance and maybe a cheep casting rod cause i think i want to learn. But any thoughts welcome.

First off, let me state that I own and use both Level Wind (CS) and non-Level Wind (CT) conventional reels and both Daiwa and Shimano LC reels, and this ownership and usage goes back to 1981, starting with a Penn Squidder.

CS reels, no matter the number of bearings installed ( I have customized ABU's with as many as 9 bearings) will never match the distance of either a CT  conventional or a true LC Spinner.  I will not address the Penn LC reels, as I have never owned or used one, as for me, they are too heavy to facilitate extended sessions of LC plugging.

I strongly recommend that you not wade with a LC reel in the hopes of achieving greater distance.  Standing in water does not facilitate the leg work required to execute any of the Distance Casts, be they a Hatteras Cast, Uni-Tech Cast, OTG cast or Pendulum Cast.  Stepping around into the cast, combined with a (weak hand) pull on the butt, is what fully loads the rod,  I have stood on the high, flat sand with a Daiwa Tournament Basia QD45 loaded with 30lb PP and a 60lb PP Hollow Ace Shock Leader, utilizing a Zziplex 14ft VMax F2 rod and outcast others getting themselves half-drowned on the outer bar.  This was with a 4oz Diamond jig and a teaser fly on a dropper loop 4.5 feet above the lure clip.  The cast was a Uni-Tech cast.

11 hours ago, Surfjunki said:

If long cast spinners and braid were as/more effective at the pure distance game, then tournament casters would be using them.. 

As Brandon stated above, tournaments do not allow the use of braid, for safety reasons during the walk and retrieve phase after everyone has cast.  However, there is a growing cadre of tournament casters using LC spinners, loaded with mono as allowed - 6lb test for 100grams max, 8lb test for 125 grams max, 10lb test for 175 grams max, all using a .070 inch diameter mono shock leader (approximately 70lb test), with guide layouts of either original Fuji NGC or modern K-Guide NGC layouts.  I believe the world record for spinning set by Donny Moscops was approximately 753ft with 175grams using a Century CM BB Blank.

There are tournaments that allow for the use of braid - these are called Fisherman Cast-a Muck Tournaments.  The las one that I was involved with was in 2012, but I have attached the tournament results file.  I think you will find that braid on LC spinners competed very nicely with CT conventional reels using mono.

2012_Cast-A-Muck_Results (2).xls

Bait or plugs is the big question to the OP. Are you casting 20x or 200x in your fishing? Distance can’t be bought, it takes many, many casts. Ct reels rule for distance casting and soaking bait hands down. For me, repetitive plug casting hundreds of times, a CS reel gets me more. That perfect line lay after every cast, every fish, or hang up lets me hit it hard every cast. On a CT reel anything other than a perfect thumb line lay will have you backing off. After a nice fish or a bad cast you’ll use up a cast just to fix your line. 

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Thanks for the replies. I am relatively new, i've fished for a while but was mostly just going through the motions and have only really given any thought to what I'm doing the past year or two.

I use both bait and lures which is in part why I was leaning towards the lc spinners. Has more versitility for me and can swap rods depending on where i go/ what i need. Historically i mosly fished the cape but now nj though is still spend time fishing cape cod in the summers and suspect will spend some time in the outer banks this coming season.

The weight isn't a huge deal when it comes to the Penn for me I often use a 3rd gen 7500ss and have used a 65 slammer iii which is the same weight as ssvi lc without too much hurt. In time im sure but for the moment im not worried.

I understand the points about wading and about but depending on what I need standing in thigh deep water on a sand bar in the Nantucket sound is gonna get MY bait/plug closer to the fish than i can get it from the beach. Especially depending on the weight of what im throwing.  As I keep working on it an improving my cast that will change but that will take time and so for the moment i need to work with what I got. 

On that same note as far as buying distance You are absolutely right. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that buying a new reel is gonna give me an extra hundred yards but my current surf reel has mono and piss poor line lay and am hoping thinner line, better line lay, and a wider spool will give me a better cast even if only by a few feet. I feel like i need an upgrade and am just trying to get the best for the money.

Thank you all for the replies I appreciate it very much. Thinking ill place an order on a 6500ssvi tomorrow seems to be the best combination of everything for me. Cheers.

Edited by LookingForLeviathan