t_man7

How To: Wiring a Plug

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Tools:

Swivel/swivels

Nose grommet/grommets

Tail grommet/grommets

Belly grommet/grommets (optional)

Metal lips (only for metal lips)

Round nose pliers or 1/4in screw driver

1/16in 308 Stainless steel plug wire

Channel lock end cutters

Plug/plugs

 

Some of the plug building supplies like lips, hooks, split rings, barrel swivels, tail grommets, nose loops, and others can be bought at the tackle shop in New Jersey that sells lure building supplies. 

1. First you need to either form a nose loop in the case that you didn’t buy pre bent nose loops from the tackle shop in New Jersey.  I    buy stainless welding wiring and form my own nose loops with a jig.  My nose loops are around 3/16 of an inch.    

2. The next step is to slide a nose grommet over the two ends of the nose loop. (Metal lips do not require a nose grommet)

3. At this stage you would insert any belly grommets into your finished plug.  You can either epoxy the belly grommet in or punch the belly grommet with an awl in 2-4 places to keep the grommet from falling out. 
4. The next step is to insert the wire into the through hole in the plug. 
5. Now that you have the wire in the plug you can now insert the barrel swivel if the plug needs a belly hook. You now catch it on loop of the barrel swivel. 
6. Next is to slide a tail grommet on the wire and slide it down to the plug body. (At this step you would also add any tail weight if your plug has any before sliding on the tail grommet. 
7. 
Now that you have all the preparations out of the way you can do your tail wrap.  The method I am going to demonstrate here is how to do a “Habs” style tail wrap. (See photos for example)   
8. The first step is to make sure your nose loop is aligned properly. (Vertical or horizontal) Here it is shown as vertical.    
9. Now bend the tag end of the wire coming out of the tail of the plug up at a 45* angle. (You can also bend the wire horizontally for a horizontal tail loop)       
10. Now take a pair of round nose pliers and make a loop about 1/4 of an inch in diameter.        
11. The next step is to make 2 full wraps of wire.  You do this by placing your round nose pliers back in the loop and pushing down on them while holding the tag of the wire in place with your thumb.  Do one 1/2 turn with your round nose pliers then take them out and place them back in the loop and do a 1/4 turn. You should be doing the twisting at an angle to join the two wires together in the same twist. (The finished product should look like this) I am also turning the counter clockwise which will make the loops clockwise.  You can do whatever feels most comfortable to you.   
12. The last step is to cut the tag end of your wire off.  I do this by creasing the wire with the end cutters and then twisting the tag of the wire off.  I do this for two reasons.  One, to not create a sharp edge and two, to keep the tag end of the wire from flying across the room. (Potentially hitting your eye)   
13. You should be left with a perfectly symmetrical loop with two wires twisting together like a barber pole or candy cane.  You can now make any final adjustments to re alight the nose and tail loop if needed.  Now you can add hooks and split rings and go fish!

34CCC31A-2C98-406A-B157-5B5110A86A2F.jpeg

C229AD36-B13E-437D-9F37-F5ED1CE7A89C.jpeg

D4F50AA1-BB15-4D0D-8B59-68419CCE7A23.jpeg

0E11A355-3B74-4FE7-ABEC-D264E1D857A6.jpeg

9F51E280-8255-4C2B-8CAA-FFAD0657F234.jpeg

051820A2-1341-4B6A-9CE0-42B8C2FDA7D7.jpeg

15C462E4-A22D-4280-AFDD-0BCB8FBCB51D.jpeg

1F99B225-67D0-4596-8165-9FF735750CCF.jpeg

F319D574-CB27-42D6-8FA6-527797FF8540.jpeg

EA26347A-40AF-4AC7-8A1C-F4FF6FB89F97.jpeg

D1A47E66-F1D1-40EC-87DE-4F59076331E4.jpeg

2806B007-3E97-4349-9D01-FE3934F926FC.jpeg

89650A58-FC86-4880-A53F-28DAFB4D0F43.jpeg

755BF5E1-B8A3-4259-BEEC-7B56D8CE86B7.jpeg

E1BCF8B8-677A-4C14-9480-188DE7CDD485.jpeg

1DA90506-FA7D-4C6A-8E73-5A2D4280E7CF.jpeg

00932246-D910-409A-9D0E-6936190AE6CC.jpeg

00D69D2C-2EE0-49FD-B7B3-8E401CB6E5CC.jpeg
I also wanted to say this is just my way of wiring a plug. There are many other methods that work as well.

-t_man7

Edited by t_man7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@t_man7 Great tutorial.  I have a few blanks turned, now to through wiring and sealing etc.  I see in some of your pics that you are wiring a plug before sealing.  How do you keep the barrel swivel from getting gunked up with epoxy if you decide to through wire before sealing with epoxy?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

@t_man7 Great tutorial.  I have a few blanks turned, now to through wiring and sealing etc.  I see in some of your pics that you are wiring a plug before sealing.  How do you keep the barrel swivel from getting gunked up with epoxy if you decide to through wire before sealing with epoxy?  

This is just a demo, I didn’t have any finished plugs at the time.  I would always wire after epoxying the plug.  If you want to seal the ends with a swivel in the belly I would wire after painting then clear coat.  That way you can cover the tail wrap and fill the nose grommets with epoxy.  I never really got the objective of this method though as your plug isn’t fully sealed and water and sand can still get in your through hole through the swivel hole.  Something that Steel Pulse said in a post was that wire is very uncontrollable and that if you try epoxying or bondoing wire in place it will always find some way to crack or break free.  If you don’t want to try epoxying over your wire and plug and are trying to keep the swivel from getting jammed I would use a disposable plastic straw.  Make sure you take it out before the epoxy fully hardens though.  You just want the epoxy to harden enough to support itself so it can’t get jammed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, t_man7 said:

This is just a demo, I didn’t have any finished plugs at the time.  I would always wire after epoxying the plug.  If you want to seal the ends with a swivel in the belly I would wire after painting then clear coat.  That way you can cover the tail wrap and fill the nose grommets with epoxy.  I never really got the objective of this method though as your plug isn’t fully sealed and water and sand can still get in your through hole through the swivel hole.  Something that Steel Pulse said in a post was that wire is very uncontrollable and that if you try epoxying or bondoing wire in place it will always find some way to crack or break free.  If you don’t want to try epoxying over your wire and plug and are trying to keep the swivel from getting jammed I would use a disposable plastic straw.  Make sure you take it out before the epoxy fully hardens though.  You just want the epoxy to harden enough to support itself so it can’t get jammed.

Another thing can’t do if you epoxy over the wire is re through wire the plug.  You would be better off throwing the plug away and making a new one rather than trying to rewire it.  Swivels only last so long, they sometimes get bent, corroded, and keep in mind that electrolysis is always happening when you have metal to metal contact. It’s especially bad in the salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@t_man7 apologies if this has been covered, I'm sure it has but I'm having trouble finding the answer.  Am I wrong worrying about plugging up my already drilled through holes with an epoxy seal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

@t_man7 apologies if this has been covered, I'm sure it has but I'm having trouble finding the answer.  Am I wrong worrying about plugging up my already drilled through holes with an epoxy seal?

Oh epoxy sealing is different, I thought you were referring to sealing the wire in with the top coat.  

heres a response sudsy had to a thread, this is how I would do it if I epoxy sealed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.