Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
River Rat

Abu Garcia Repair?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

The level wind is getting hung up on either side of my 6500 C3. The worm gear turns but the line guide thingey moves to the side and stops.

Anyone know how to fix that puppy? OR recomend where to get it fixed in central jersey.

Thanks!

Sounds like a worn pawl. Easy to fix yourself--just unscrew the cap in the bottom of the level wind guide, remove the old one and install a new one.

No idea where to find one in your area. I've obtained mine via phone orders from Bucko's in Mass.

you can also call pure fishing in iowa... they have super fast service.. if you order more than, i think it's 40 bucks worth of abu parts, they give like a 40% discount.. of course i've never ordered that much!! LOL

there service is tremendous.

Stevens in Long Branch or the Sportsmans Center in Bordentown depending on where you live.

If you find yourself going through a lot of pawls check the wormdrive. Look carefully at the points particularly the ones at the ends and make sure they're not worn or grooved. If they are, replace the wormdrive. It goes for about $12 +/-.

And I agree with Thumburner - Bob Hulme and Abu Garcia service are absolutely top grade icon14.gif

the Sportsmans Center in Bordentown

Beware that shop like the plague for reel repairs. Had multiple bad experiences there about 5 years ago until I stopped going there.

John D

[QBthe Sportsmans Center in Bordentown

Beware that shop like the plague for reel repairs. Had multiple bad experiences there about 5 years ago until I stopped going there.

John D

Not for repairs but rather to pick up the parts. I can't comment on repairs as I do my own.

To quote Highlander moon.gif - "There's Sudsy clutching a dissasembled reel, stumbling around on the beach in the middle of the night"

Put a drop of light oil into the threads of the worm every third or fourth fishing trip. replace that pawl at the start of the season and August 4th and you won't have any problems ever again(LOL)