beret

Larger Size of the Hot Plugs

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I love SP Minnows and caught many stripers..........I love,love my Mag Darters and  a go to plug just about every outing and catching. I like many,  pushed for both manufacturers to make bigger and heavier versions and not only welcomed them but purchased..........why am I not realizing my wish??  It could be me, but the heavier bigger versions do not seem to perform the same as the originals. I guess my question is if you take a successfull plug, keep the same proportions or profile and just increase the length and weight..........what would change. Why do I feel the plug does not perform as well as it's little sister.........just a thought. Appreciate hearing how others may feel.......or is it just me and a confidence thing, Thanks.

6 mins ago, beret said:

I love SP Minnows and caught many stripers..........I love,love my Mag Darters and  a go to plug just about every outing and catching. I like many,  pushed for both manufacturers to make bigger and heavier versions and not only welcomed them but purchased..........why am I not realizing my wish??  It could be me, but the heavier bigger versions do not seem to perform the same as the originals. I guess my question is if you take a successfull plug, keep the same proportions or profile and just increase the length and weight..........what would change. Why do I feel the plug does not perform as well as it's little sister.........just a thought. Appreciate hearing how others may feel.......or is it just me and a confidence thing, Thanks.

Not many people throw plugs past 2.5oz. People like manageable plugs they can cast all night and not be sore. I throw a lot of 2-2 3/8oz and even that is uncomfortable for me. Doesn’t feel right or feel smooth during the load up and cast a lot of the times

I would imagine that making a larger version of a proven catcher one would also need to adjust their game a bit to make the plug swim/perform like the smaller one.

the waggle would not be as sharp/quick as the smaller one due to it's increased size.

I would have to use this example=a ford ranger would handle different from an F-150 just due to the diff in size.

they are not exact but,they are not much different sort of.

weight,profile,width,height and length all comes into play.

also,a retrieve speed increase would/may offset the size diff,,,,perhaps.

that's just my take on it,someone else please add to the idea .

HH

ps-confidence can also play a massive role in how/if one will actually use the larger version as they would the smaller version.

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

9 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Not many people throw plugs past 2.5oz. People like manageable plugs they can cast all night and not be sore. I throw a lot of 2-2 3/8oz and even that is uncomfortable for me. Doesn’t feel right or feel smooth during the load up and cast a lot of the times

I am not sure when things changed but,when I started fishing salt everyone threw larger plugs.

3 oz was a normal thing and under that was not unheard of either.

at that time most guys fished the same plugs in both sizes and most had both of them in their pails.

I would have to say that now,folks have gotten so used to light weights that they never learned how to use a large plug and are suffering from a lack of "confidence"[not a word in my book].

now,I am not pointing my finger at anyone here or anywhere else,what I have learned over my almost 40 years of salt is that if you do not expand your arsenal,increase your plug fishing skill and adapt your tech to what you need,you will fish the same way with the same lures and not progress into another stage of angling skill.

your gear you use,it's power and it's ability to sling what you need to do directly affects how you catch.

you fish small,most of the time you will attract small,,this is not etched in stone but,is predominantly true.

I rememeber watching old 8 mm vidoes of guys fishing the cape and block,they were not casting small lures,they were mostly slinging gibbs and atom 40's and such.

they fish they had hanging on their buggies were all decent fish of good size.

seeing that and what guys used around my parts are what showed me what worked.

there have been many nights I was out there and the water was quiet.

not even bait stirring that one could see,some nights were calm,some were like a washing machine.

my diligence is what made me produce.

cast after cast,cranking slowly waiting for that solid thump,,,there is nothing like it when you get that after casting all night and it's your only hit of the night.

you swing,connect solid and land that fine fish then release it,,you know your tech,idea and skill made you get what you wanted done,,,,,,it may have been the only hit,the only fish of the night but,it was a good one and well worth it.

anyone add to it if you'd like,,,,,,,,,,,,

HH

11 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I am not sure when things changed but,when I started fishing salt everyone threw larger plugs.

3 oz was a normal thing and under that was not unheard of either.

at that time most guys fished the same plugs in both sizes and most had both of them in their pails.

I would have to say that now,folks have gotten so used to light weights that they never learned how to use a large plug and are suffering from a lack of "confidence"[not a word in my book].

now,I am not pointing my finger at anyone here or anywhere else,what I have learned over my almost 40 years of salt is that if you do not expand your arsenal,increase your plug fishing skill and adapt your tech to what you need,you will fish the same way with the same lures and not progress into another stage of angling skill.

your gear you use,it's power and it's ability to sling what you need to do directly affects how you catch.

you fish small,most of the time you will attract small,,this is not etched in stone but,is predominantly true.

I rememeber watching old 8 mm vidoes of guys fishing the cape and block,they were not casting small lures,they were mostly slinging gibbs and atom 40's and such.

they fish they had hanging on their buggies were all decent fish of good size.

seeing that and what guys used around my parts are what showed me what worked.

there have been many nights I was out there and the water was quiet.

not even bait stirring that one could see,some nights were calm,some were like a washing machine.

my diligence is what made me produce.

cast after cast,cranking slowly waiting for that solid thump,,,there is nothing like it when you get that after casting all night and it's your only hit of the night.

you swing,connect solid and land that fine fish then release it,,you know your tech,idea and skill made you get what you wanted done,,,,,,it may have been the only hit,the only fish of the night but,it was a good one and well worth it.

anyone add to it if you'd like,,,,,,,,,,,,

HH

I actually noticed that once I threw and caught fish on metal lips. I firmly believe the notion of big bait = big fish. I think now people just don’t have the patience for  1-2 hits a night if not a total skunk. They’re chasing quantity and not quality. I had patience last year and had my chances but just couldn’t really connect for the most part. Exciting though. This year not so much lol no patience. I chased the action. It’s all mindset these days 

42 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I actually noticed that once I threw and caught fish on metal lips. I firmly believe the notion of big bait = big fish. I think now people just don’t have the patience for  1-2 hits a night if not a total skunk. They’re chasing quantity and not quality. I had patience last year and had my chances but just couldn’t really connect for the most part. Exciting though. This year not so much lol no patience. I chased the action. It’s all mindset these days 

ya know what,you are exactly correct.

when the time of year is on I target larger fish automatically,one hit one good fish works for me anyway.

when the time of year is off,the big sticks get hung up and the lighter rigs come down to play.

the good part is you saw the light.

HH

16 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

ya know what,you are exactly correct.

when the time of year is on I target larger fish automatically,one hit one good fish works for me anyway.

when the time of year is off,the big sticks get hung up and the lighter rigs come down to play.

the good part is you saw the light.

HH

Only thanks to my buddy the Surfcasting Pro of our little group lol

45 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Years ago during the Fall run I would use huge plugs to cull out the large bass. Now a days the largest swimmer i make is prolly about 7"s or so. :howdy:

I tried this last year. Got dinks 

13 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I tried this last year. Got dinks 

That's pretty much the extent of it. But I do ok with bigger schoolies, the 32" size, on live eels. Heck, I even got a 15#er this fall.:howdy:

4 mins ago, jimmy z said:

That's pretty much the extent of it. But I do ok with bigger schoolies, the 32" size, on live eels. Heck, I even got a 15#er this fall.:howdy:

Nice. I have yet to get a bass on eels. Only cigar studs. I do well with big plugs when the bite is non-existent and the schoolies are hard to come by though. When it’s a schoolie infestation there is no getting away from them. I guess it’s more luck at that point than anything but it’s worth the wait and luck