The Salty Fisherman

Trolling Motor Mounting and Placement Questions

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone, 

I recently purchased a Motor Guide Xi5 Trolling Motor to mount on my 19ft Seacraft.  I finally got around to pulling the boat out of the water and laying the motor on the bow of the boat today.  My Bow is set up with a bow light and two cleats, one on the port side of the bow light and another on the starboard side of the light.  Originally I was thinking that I would have to re-arrange the entire set up on the bow, but after I laid the motor up there I am unsure if that is still necessary.  It would certainly save a ton of work.  I pasted a picture of how the motor would likely be mounted on my boat.  I am curious as to how the motor will perform if not mounted directly pointing foreward. I guess in my eyes, with the motor mounted off to the side, I see the motor causing the boat to track in a weird angle when put on things like spot lock.  Anybody have a bow mounted trolling motor that is mounted off to the side?  Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

Salty 

Trolling motor on my new boat ? - Page 2 - The Hull Truth - Boating and  Fishing Forum

Posted (edited)

My set up is on a significantly smaller scale with an xi3 on a 16 ft. side console but I fish tidal current without issue as pictured. I gave up one cleat for this.

The Motorguide will have a calibration set up to compensate for that. It will know where itself is in relation to the mount and it’s own gps.   Plenty of Jon boats have them all the way to one side. You will be fine like that in my opinion.....

982F7FAC-51F6-431D-B5C3-861A205D2A1E.jpeg.166e0b0a357753be32146e5707be02c5.jpeg

Edited by aae0130

1 hour ago, aae0130 said:

My set up is on a significantly smaller scale with an xi3 on a 16 ft. side console but I fish tidal current without issue as pictured. I gave up one cleat for this.

The Motorguide will have a calibration set up to compensate for that. It will know where itself is in relation to the mount and it’s own gps.   Plenty of Jon boats have them all the way to one side. You will be fine like that in my opinion.....

Awesome, this is just what I was looking for.  Thanks for the reassurance.  

3 hours ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

Awesome, this is just what I was looking for.  Thanks for the reassurance.  

I would suggest you get the quick disconnect mounting plate too. You can take it off and stow/store it easily......... 

Posted (edited)

As said above. 

No issue with it there. I trolled days on end with mine on a 20' Crestliner. And  get the plate, especially if you have a fitted winter cover.  

Edited by Fishbucket

On 11/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, aae0130 said:

Off topic, this is a sweet boat setup. What type and length is this? (fairly new to boating)

32 mins ago, foxfai said:

Off topic, this is a sweet boat setup. What type and length is this? (fairly new to boating)

It’s a 16 ft. Duranautic.  All welded and surprisingly made in the USA.

you should have no problem  at all

we put this on while still in the slip . all I have to do is raise the bow lights , the  trolling motor will block from being able to see them ><

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG