The TideRunner

Who Keeps Largemouth Bass ?

115 posts in this topic

The only lmb I ever kept was camping in High Point state park in 79 or so . My buddy was a chef at the Plaza hotel at the time and even he couldnt make that thing taste good.:upck:

Never ate an LMB and I have a policy of not trusting any fish out of NJ still waters. Perhaps NW but not around here. We used to keep SMB out the big D back in the day and they were good.  

23 hours ago, C.Robin said:

I've kept one in my entire life. Tasted awful, never again....though I am sure that like most FW fish their taste depends on the water body they were caught from.

I always surprise my upstate friends when I tell them that I wouldn't keep a bass because they taste like mud and rank weeds.  Up in the Adirondacks, where they live, both largemouth and smallmouth are caught in clear-water lakes, that tend to have hard bottoms and healthy weedbeds, and apparently taste pretty good.  Have caughgt a few up there, but always while fishing for pike, pickerel and walleye in May, before bass season opens, so I still haven't tried them for myself.

13 hours ago, Hook I said:

There is alot of truth here well done & just to add my own observation , sometimes fish don't have a chance to grow to trophy size because they are taken out of the water before it can happen . I'll say most of my LM/SM fishing is the shore line remote from active spots very early morning . what I have discovered in NY & NJ along the shore line,  pully net systems , Yes there are folks netting fish in the obvious places at night & taken down just before sun up . Over the years I have dialed the DEP to let them know WHAT CAN THEY DO ? Under manned   I used to fish a guy named Joe who also witnessed these systems . There is alot that goes into why fish get large . People do buy Large Mouth bass at markets or out of the back of a car . 

never kept one & don't intend to 

For real? They net and sell largemouth bass at markets and the backs of cars??? HAhAHAHAhahaha. Learn something new every day.

19 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

However, I tried moonfish at a restaurant in Hawaii, And as much as I hate to say it, it tastes just like chicken! Had the same texture as chicken breast too! Turns out it was called Opa. or as we know here ocean sunfish. At least that's what I'm told.

Opah is a different fish from our ocean sunfish, Mola mola.

We actually have them in our eastern canyons, and every now and then someone will catch one while chunking for tuna at night.  They're a very rare recreational catch on the East Coast, but a year or two ago, a Maryland boat caught two in the same season.  

Opah have a nearly round profile, something like the discus fish that you see in freshwater aquariums, but are nonetheless an aggressive predator that usually swims between 200 and 2000 feet down,where they're not infrequently caught by swordfish longliners.  Off Hawaii, where you had it, the longliners catch them with some regulatrity.

21 mins ago, Mountain Brookies said:

For real? They net and sell largemouth bass at markets and the backs of cars??? HAhAHAHAhahaha. Learn something new every day.

If I can find the photo of a bunch of LM iced in a display window market ( NYC ) , ill post it up . To some people who enjoy fish at holiday time  , the larger the fish brings $$ to the seller + as it brings good luck & wealth to ones family at meal time. 

15 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Ya got a Wok? Do the pheasant in that. So good.

Never tried my pheasant that way.  Usually either make a takeoff on coq au vin (from Hank Shaw's Cookbook Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail) or pheasant gumbo.  Have to try it in an Asian style.

35 mins ago, Mountain Brookies said:

They are apparently fairly popular in parts of Brooklyn and Queens, among other places.  Every now and then the DEC enforcement folks bust people taking bunches of bass out of the New York City reservoirs with the intent of selling them in Brooklyn/Queens markets.

7 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I have fished ponds loaded with stunted bass and in several found a few very large bass that I think are eating the little ones.  

One night I was at the pond very late and all alone.  Hammering the dinks on topwater.  Heard a huge fish out towards the middle splash.  Changed out to the biggest topwater I had (6" sammy style spook) for distance and a few twitches in was rewarded with a 28" bass.

Caught what I am sure is the same fish the next year again at night on a larger soft plastic

Those big girls are out there but usually  really wary.  Night time only and larger baits!

I have a lake nearby that has a good population of small wild brown trout.  My theory will be tested there as I think those little trout are coming from somewhere and she is big

Brown's are notorious night feeders, especially big'uns. From now till late spring would be the time to get after her. Soft plastic swimbaits or jerkbaits would be my weapon of choice. Good luck chasing her and keep us informed, I for one am interested.

About night fishing for bass, ABSOLUTELY. I don't fish at night anymore as South Jersey doesn't have many lakes that allow it. But when I lived in Mississippi I would go several times a month. Caught some of my best fish then, surprisingly on many of the same baits I used during the day. Top water wasn't always my first choice, in fact one of my largest came on an 8" black Creme plastic worm. The best part of night fishing is the quiet and solitude you have. None of the buzz and noise from the day crowd, just you ( a buddy if with you) the hoot of owls and splashing bass. If you guys haven't done this on those stunted lakes you need to try it. My guess is you will find better fish at night.

I know in Massachusetts almost all freshwater species carry consumption warnings. No consumption by pregnant or nursing women. No consumption by children. Everyone else should limit their consumption to two meals per month. So what should become of these fish we don’t throw back? I keep stocked trout, but everything else goes back.

Edited by wrboz
Added sentence at end

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

If I can find the photo of a bunch of LM iced in a display window market ( NYC ) , ill post it up . To some people who enjoy fish at holiday time  , the larger the fish brings $$ to the seller + as it brings good luck & wealth to ones family at meal time. 

It is not illegal to sell bass and many other gamefish provided they have been purchased from a licensed fish farmer. Selling or buying any freshwater gamefish from anyone other than a licensed farmer is strictly forbidden. These folks may very well be within the law, if purchasing from a reliable source they should have a bill of sale and would therefore be fine. But who would know for sure? The ones from the trunk of pick-up bed most assuredly are bending a rule or 2.

14 mins ago, Dumprdog said:

It is not illegal to sell bass and many other gamefish provided they have been purchased from a licensed fish farmer. Selling or buying any freshwater gamefish from anyone other than a licensed farmer is strictly forbidden. These folks may very well be within the law, if purchasing from a reliable source they should have a bill of sale and would therefore be fine. But who would know for sure? The ones from the trunk of pick-up bed most assuredly are bending a rule or 2.

agree its like a non licensed electrician running wires in your home & at the end of the day the boss comes in & signs off on the work . Who knows where how those fish come from ? Reminds me of the two guys come into the bar dressed as butchers' full of blood selling prime beef ,completely vacuum wrapped in boxes out of their van ?  truck = Horse meat  :howdy:

Are you suggesting that tens of thousands of indigenous people who have heartily enjoyed horse meat are somehow inferior or have substandard tastes?  Can be quite tasty from what I hear.

Edited by bass11

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

I always surprise my upstate friends when I tell them that I wouldn't keep a bass because they taste like mud and rank weeds.  Up in the Adirondacks, where they live, both largemouth and smallmouth are caught in clear-water lakes, that tend to have hard bottoms and healthy weedbeds, and apparently taste pretty good.  Have caughgt a few up there, but always while fishing for pike, pickerel and walleye in May, before bass season opens, so I still haven't tried them for myself.

Last LMB I ate was 2 years ago paddle camping in a remote lake in the Adirondacks.  Bass tacos for dinner and fritters for breakfast the next morning from one kept on a stringer overnight. Dipped chunks in pancake batter with some salt & pepper. Was delicious.  

5b7c357e977b2_bassfritters.JPG.9f12a0e03ce5b6c290688d26185adc1d.JPG