The TideRunner

Who Keeps Largemouth Bass ?

115 posts in this topic

Those who bass fish, myself included have done a terrific job of conservation that I'm starting to see a problem with it on quite a few lakes that I fish. The LMB are stockpiled and growth stunted. Case in point...one lake I fish, 10 years ago we'd get 100 fish a day on some outings, with a couple 2-3lb fish thrown in the mix to keep things interesting.Some of my biggest bass have come out of there. I still like to fish there,but catching a fish over 15" is a good day. I can catch tons of dinks, but the slobs are gone. On a crowded day you'll see maybe a half dozen people fishing. This was never a heavily fished lake.

Funny thing is, it's listed as a Trophy Bass Management lake. So there are slot limits, but everything caught there is released. I know of nobody that keeps and eats the bass they catch. no matter where caught. Unhook, pic, back in the water.

I've also noticed on the lakes where I see this problem, there are no predator fish...Pike pickerel.  But it seems the only predators are cormorants.

Maybe is it time we rethink catch and release? This really pertains to CT where I live because many of our lakes are small compared to some other states. So stockpiling can become a problem quickly.

So for those that keep their fish, and this is not about judging, what do you do with them??  I don't think I can eat them. The waters I fish are so weedy and gross looking. And I certainly don't want to just dump them.

And if you do eat them, how do you cook them?

Has anyone else seen this problem of stockpiling in their home waters?

The rivers I fish are infested with hoards and hoards of smb. The average length is about 10in to 12in.

There are so many of these small smb you can barely fish a redworm on a bobber without catching them all day long.

I keep any smb I am able too. Tasty!

I do keep lmb too, they taste just as good, but I only catch those in the lakes.

The last fish I kept was a 5 pound Smallmouth caught 31 years ago. Almost always caught a bunch of 2-3 pound SM and very few LM. The lake is in Mass and is crystal clear. Turn to this year and I have fished this lake 14 times in my kayak  and have caught 378 bass. Almost all are LM and the biggest is 15”.  Other than bass I have only caught jumbo Bluegill and trout. No pickerel or pike. I have no idea why this fishery changed.

I haven't kept a largemouth in years, since I was in college.  Back then I was keeping them for the table.   When I go up to Northern Ontario I keep smallmouth.  I can bring 6 back.  I keep fish in the 13 to 15 inch range.  Smaller or larger than that I toss them back.  Here in SE PA I don't keep any fish I catch.  

58 mins ago, Dieseldog13 said:

The last fish I kept was a 5 pound Smallmouth caught 31 years ago. Almost always caught a bunch of 2-3 pound SM and very few LM. The lake is in Mass and is crystal clear. Turn to this year and I have fished this lake 14 times in my kayak  and have caught 378 bass. Almost all are LM and the biggest is 15”.  Other than bass I have only caught jumbo Bluegill and trout. No pickerel or pike. I have no idea why this fishery changed.

To much catch and release.

If pike and pickeral numbers are down or non-existent, bass really don't have any predators.

I think a slot limit of 10in to 15in here in Pittsburgh would do wonders for our overly abundant dink population.

It really is sad to watch guys doing hero pics with a 12in smb.

1 hour ago, The TideRunner said:

Has anyone else seen this problem of stockpiling in their home waters?

I kept 3 bass in 20 years according to my records.  

One was smallish 2lber poorly hooked and wouldnt survive, one little guy went into an aquarium and was eaten by a green sunfish (yep!)  and one, a slob, my little kids got on a kick that they wanted to eat a fish that we caught in the pond.  They won the mutiny that day.  

14 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I've kept one in my entire life. Tasted awful, never again....though I am sure that like most FW fish their taste depends on the water body they were caught from.

That and your skills cleaning fish and as a cook.:laugh:

I will trade a walleye any day for a smb or lmb.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

21 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

That and your skills cleaning fish and as a cook.:laugh:

I will trade a walleye any day for a smb or lmb.

Yea, because it takes even an iota of skill to fillet a LMB

7 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Yea, because it takes even an iota of skill to fillet a LMB

:laugh: Yeah! Loads of skill.

Actually, I don't think there is an easier fish to clean then bass.

I was speaking in a general sense though as not preparing and cleaning a fish properly can effect taste.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

26 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

:laugh: Yeah! Loads of skill.

Actually, I don't think there is an easier fish to clean then bass.

I was speaking in a general sense though as not preparing and cleaning a fish properly can effect taste.

bluegill are harder to fillet than bass for me and I just learned it.

33 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I've kept one in my entire life. Tasted awful, never again.

Same, not a fan.

Didn't help that the lake I've fished my whole life had a paint factory right next  to it going back to the 1930's and we were always told to never eat any fish from the lake. The property was sold and the new owners did extensive studies with the DEP on the groundwater, sediment, surface water etc and they determined there was high levels of lead, chromium, barium and arsenic in the "pigment waste piles " on the  property and  lagoon. Yum ! They eventually hired contractors ( early 90's) to clean up the site to the tune of 30 mil and 14 months. They were able to reduce the contaminants (lead & chromium mostly) in the surface &ground water, soil to "safe" levels and they're closely monitored and re-tested annually to this day. Since then I've kind of lost my taste for LMB.