Beastly Backlash

Braid vs Mono in Cold Weather

22 posts in this topic

I noticed over the years that braid likes to stick to itself in colder weather. I am not referring to when the line actually freezes to itself.

For example, when using a baitcaster at temps of about 40*F, the braided line does not like to come off the spool easily. Have any of you guys experienced this?

I am thinking things will just be easier to switch to mono on certain baitcasters once air temps push into the low 40's.

Since I have picked up a new baitcaster, this topic is a good time to discuss so I can make sure I spool the reel with the optimal line for this time of year.

I have this braid freezing issue. It sucks and can end a trip.

What type mono do you like?

Some guys go straight flourocarbon. I could add a leader, same as I do with braid.

I break off plenty cheap jigs, so loosing a few feet often will quickly effect my casting distance. A small shallow spool reel is not ideal.

I need a good 8 or 10 lb test. Something that will allow a good cast when cold with a jig up to 1/2 oz.

I like the pam on the guides trick also.

Thanks!

i really hate fishing anything other than braid + flouro leaders. its hard to go back to mono once you start to enjoy that braid sensitivity and lack of memory. 

i've also seen the stickiness issue with braid, been looking for a solution to this as well, i'm thinking some type of cold weather lubricant. 

6 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Probably not a bad idea BUT in the cold is when you really need the sensitivity of brain.

Try treating the line ?

Pam on the guides helps too

I was thinking a line treatment might be a good option.

9 hours ago, hobobob said:

Stick with spinning reel and mono.   No wet spool to touch, no water spray or dripping water onto your palming hand.

That would be the logical choice. Once air temps reach freezing and below the baitcasters do go away, but before then I still enjoy using baitcasters.

5 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

I have this braid freezing issue. It sucks and can end a trip.

What type mono do you like?

Some guys go straight flourocarbon. I could add a leader, same as I do with braid.

I break off plenty cheap jigs, so loosing a few feet often will quickly effect my casting distance. A small shallow spool reel is not ideal.

I need a good 8 or 10 lb test. Something that will allow a good cast when cold with a jig up to 1/2 oz.

I like the pam on the guides trick also.

Thanks!

I was going to use Trilene XT, 10lb on the Tatula 100 and 14lb on the Komodo 273.

I will experiment and see if the mono comes off the spool better at colder temps then the braid.

Was out till 1am this morning. I will be back out on Saturday and Sunday nights, so I have some time to transfer the braid off my reel and replace with mono.

7 hours ago, nigori said:

i really hate fishing anything other than braid + flouro leaders. its hard to go back to mono once you start to enjoy that braid sensitivity and lack of memory. 

i've also seen the stickiness issue with braid, been looking for a solution to this as well, i'm thinking some type of cold weather lubricant. 

I am no fan of mono as a mainline either, but if mono helps my casting in colder temps I am for it.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

3 hours ago, hobobob said:

If you want braid, put braids on, still spinning gear for the same reason.  Spinning guides are bigger and there are fewer of them in those freezing air temps. 

When ever air temps drop to the freezing point spinning is all I use and I prefer mono in those conditions because it sheds water and sheds ice build up better then braids. Right now the issue isn't about line freezing or guides freezing.

2 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

I noticed that all braid line are not created equal. Some have better cold weather characteristics then others 

Definitely would be because of the line coating. Unfortunately, the line coating wears off after some time.

I will find out later tonight, Saturday night, if the mono behaves better coming off the spool of a baitcaster vs the braided line.

25 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Definitely would be because of the line coating. Unfortunately, the line coating wears off after some time.

facts..... even the best brands coatings will wear off. But will last longer then some of the cheaper cost brands. I use very light 3# line. So cold weather doesnt effect it so much as perhaps heavier # line. 

18 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

facts..... even the best brands coatings will wear off. But will last longer then some of the cheaper cost brands. I use very light 3# line. So cold weather doesnt effect it so much as perhaps heavier # line. 

3# test, wow that is some light stuff.

Lightest I go with braid is 10lb. In the river I avoid mono less the 8lb.