Samba Surf

Favorite Food Fish

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, Notable Catch said:

I've never tried Bluefish till this year because of what everyone said.  We had it on several occasions and everyone loved it including my 7 years old daughter who is pretty picky.

I did what I normally do with any fish I catch.

1. Bleed well as soon as you catch.

2. After bleeding, put it in cooler with ice

3. After coming home, fillet and cut out all red meat.

It could be how I made it but not a hint of fishy, oily etc.  I was actually surprised how good it was, maybe because of what I was told about it all these time.  Now, I keep Bluefish to make patty for kids if I catch them.

I think it may have been the way I prepared the bluefish for next day eating. I did bleed the fish and put it on ice when I caught it. I filleted the fish, wrapped it in paper towel and aluminum foil than cooked it the next day. I didn't wash the fish until I seasoned it with flour and various spices. I did cut out all the bloodline as well.

The one time before I caught Bluefish and brought it home I cooked it that very day and it tasted fine. I actually enjoyed it.

Edited by Aaronj.

9 hours ago, Aaronj. said:

I think it may have been the way I prepared the bluefish for next day eating.

It also could have to do as to what the fish was feeding on the last few weeks, i.e., what was the prominent baitfish at the time.....peanut bunker, sand eels, mullet, etc.

To me, I want my fish to taste like FISH, otherwise I would eat tofu. In fact, the dark meat everyone cuts out to me is the best part.

23 hours ago, Aaronj. said:

I think it may have been the way I prepared the bluefish for next day eating. I did bleed the fish and put it on ice when I caught it. I filleted the fish, wrapped it in paper towel and aluminum foil than cooked it the next day. I didn't wash the fish until I seasoned it with flour and various spices. I did cut out all the bloodline as well.

The one time before I caught Bluefish and brought it home I cooked it that very day and it tasted fine. I actually enjoyed it.

Because I usually come home late, I usually only get to fillet to cook the next day.  So, till that part, it's the same.  The only recipe I found that I wanted to try was the patty and that involved boiling meat first.  Maybe that's the difference too.

13 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

It also could have to do as to what the fish was feeding on the last few weeks, i.e., what was the prominent baitfish at the time.....peanut bunker, sand eels, mullet, etc.

To me, I want my fish to taste like FISH, otherwise I would eat tofu. In fact, the dark meat everyone cuts out to me is the best part.

This to me is where things get confusing.  :)  I can't draw a line where people say it's fishy.  I've had fish since I was very little as I'm originally from Korea where they eat a lot of fish.  That and my mother originally from the ocean side of Korea so lots of things she cooks had seafood.  For example, most people from Korea make Seaweed soup using beef whereas my mother makes it with seafood.

That said, I might actually like dark meat.  Just haven't tried it because of what people said.  But as I said, everyone is different.  Since I most likely have a higher tolerance, it might be ok for me even most people say it's fishy.  Who knows, I might actually like it.  I guess what comes down to is I just have to try it to find out.  :)  Well, it will be a while since I can't go fishing now with a new requirement coming back to PA from NJ.  :(

2 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Yes! Swai is fantastic. I forgot all about it, I haven't had it in years.

It's dirt cheap....great texture.  Cooks so many different ways.....almost has a triggerfish taste (in an odd way)

Will never eat Tilapia or Barramundi again.

I just don't get why people think bluefish are  "too fishy" 

Shellfish - clams,  muscle, oysters, etc -  are gross to me ; they're piles of snot that smell and taste like stagnant ocean.... that's just me.

1 hour ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

I just don't get why people think bluefish are  "too fishy" 

Shellfish - clams,  muscle, oysters, etc -  are gross to me ; they're piles of snot that smell and taste like stagnant ocean.... that's just me.

I think if you’re raised eating it like I was you have a higher tolerance. I survived a childhood of the burlap bag. 

On 11/20/2020 at 3:55 PM, Notable Catch said:

I did what I normally do with any fish I catch.

1. Bleed well as soon as you catch.

2. After bleeding, put it in cooler with ice

3. After coming home, fillet and cut out all red meat

This is how to treat blues! Or, as you say, any fish.  It's funny how many 'sharpies' never bleed their fish properly, just toss em in a cooler.  When I smoke em I cut each fillet into 2 loins and cut out the brownline. Lots of smokers prefer to keep the fillet on the skin, but this gets rid of much of the toxic stuff too.

Amen on bleeding your fish.  I carry a blade explicitly for that purpose.  A well made serrated blade makes gillin' quick & easy.  A 5 second job that will greatly improve the culinary experience.