Samba Surf

Favorite Food Fish

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, gellfex said:

Yeah, herring is on my 'figure this out' list too. I'd love to smoke up a batch of them!

I read a while back that Robin is a relative of the Mediterranean scorpion fish, which is a classic ingredient in bouillabaisse. I haven't tried making stock yet, but I do keep the really big Robins I pick up.  As far as cleaning, the Brits have a pretty good trick...

Holy ****.  I need to try that

Posted (edited) · Report post

36 mins ago, ridenfish said:

I fillet them.  I’m not the best at it though. 

Look up how to clean them on YouTube. Plenty of videos. It's super easy. You're basically left with a bone in sea robin drumstick. Once you cook it the meat falls right off the bone. 

Nevermind,  @gellfex  beat me to it. Haha. That's exactly how I do it. But I don't take the fillet off, I leave them whole, and I use a pair of shears to snip off the fins on the belly too. But yeah, super easy once you do a couple and get the hang of it.

Edited by chitala383

2 hours ago, BobBass said:

I think sea Robin is a decent stock fish. The stock is fatty and would be good over mussels and clams in a stew. 

if anyone has experience with catching Atlantic herring on hook and line-I need help. I know how to pickle them- but I have a hard time finding them. I caught one on a sabiki last year....one. 

Herrings is one of those fish that's on the decline also. Progressively worst the last 3 years. Smaller school, shorter run duration, months turn into weeks. If they are in, you'll know by evidence on the floor. Speaking of which, they should be starting to appear in the next few days.

Just now, hobobob said:

Herrings is one of those fish that's on the decline also. Progressively worst the last 3 years. Smaller school, shorter run duration, months turn into weeks. If they are in, you'll know by evidence on the floor. Speaking of which, they should be starting to appear in the next few days.

I just need a few dozen to make Christmas gifts. Thanks for the heads up! 

15 hours ago, hobobob said:

Not sure how fluke made the list. 

Lol I must be biased cause for some reason the wife and kids like that the best. Broiled in butter always goes quick around here. Spanish and or bonito might be my fav.

19 hours ago, Samba Surf said:

I’ve often wondered can you reach any sea bass grounds in a kayak?  I’m from New England originally and there’s easy spots to get out to sea bass and all the porgies (my absolute favorite fish) you could ever want.  

You can reach some nice sea bass grounds from a yak in NJ. Not always consistent but have got them close to 20" on the yak

26 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

You can reach some nice sea bass grounds from a yak in NJ. Not always consistent but have got them close to 20" on the yak

That’s encouraging.  Do you mean out front?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pan fried tom cods. Smoked whiting or ling. Pan fried trout the day caught. Grilled cocktail blues. Grilled weakfish.

In the old days grilled striper shorts before they became shorts.

Edited by SB59

8 hours ago, Samba Surf said:

That is a crazy ice fishing shack!  Can we catch them around here?

sure you can,they love sandworms and also squid.

I always caught them in LIS.

HH

It's sad this thread doesn't even get a mention of weakfish. Shows you how much they've declined. I haven't kept a striper in a couple of years but to me, it was always the absolute best eating fish. It was much more meaty than fluke with a nice thick chunky filet with just a touch of the oily stronger flavor that a lot of people don't like about bluefish (although I love eating smaller bluefish or larger ones smoked).

13 hours ago, bugsbenny said:

grouper, monkfish, squid when done right, and believe it or not whole deep fried spearing,

Always wanted to try the deep fried spearing. I heard they're real good. Any tricks to it?