Samba Surf

Favorite Food Fish

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the only fish that I DON'T like is menhaden.   But I haven't tried a fresh one in a soup yet so who knows:hooked:

Never tried sea cucumber either. 

 

Butterfish are mainly a baitfish but are pretty tasty.  

1280_TZQYBN0FYV1G.png

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

BSB=Black sea bass.

tommies=tommycod.

bergals  are related to blackfish and kinda look like them too but,smaller in size.

white perch are very good eating,have not done them in many years now.

HH

 

That is a crazy ice fishing shack!  Can we catch them around here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had tog once and thought it was very good. We went black drumming once a couple years ago and I had cut it up into "nuggets" and deep fried em and it was amazing too (wasn't that good grilled or broiled though). Snakehead is surprisingly good too.

 

I really go fishing for the sake of fishing, and I like to eat fish but I can do without lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ridenfish said:

Spanish Macs have become my favorite.  

CD6A7E79-27C8-48D7-9CF2-C8C32EEF49CA.jpeg

D10FC683-0A9B-4408-8459-558042D01098.jpeg

That is beautiful!  Are they a summer fish around here or do they line up with Albies?  Also, what kind of jig is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, Samba Surf said:

That is beautiful!  Are they a summer fish around here or do they line up with Albies?  Also, what kind of jig is that?

They’re usually around in august and early September.  But the last two years they came in late June and hung around through September.  I hope it stays that way.  

It’s a fatcow epoxy and sandeel teaser that foxlures makes. He sells them here and they are very durable. 
These are tasty as well, but a lot less common from shore. 

03E2E1B2-BE35-447A-8570-FED0966EE333.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, ridenfish said:

They’re usually around in august and early September.  But the last two years they came in late June and hung around through September.  I hope it stays that way.  

It’s a fatcow epoxy and sandeel teaser that foxlures makes. He sells them here and they are very durable. 
These are tasty as well, but a lot less common from shore. 

03E2E1B2-BE35-447A-8570-FED0966EE333.jpeg

Is that a bonito?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Samba Surf said:

That’s crazy,  they clean them like sea robins.  I was told sea robin is surprisingly good.  And even though I’ve caught hundreds in my life, after I was told that in the summer I never saw another one.  I just started spearfishing this year.  I haven’t dove the inlets yet but the guys that do always kill em on the triggers.  I heard they are among our best local fare.  

Sea robin is fantastic. I like it better than fluke. More people need to get over the "trash fish" mindset and give them a try. I did a side by side comparison one day with fluke and sea robin. Cooked them exactly the same way. I kept going back for more sea robin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, chitala383 said:

Sea robin is fantastic. I like it better than fluke. More people need to get over the "trash fish" mindset and give them a try. I did a side by side comparison one day with fluke and sea robin. Cooked them exactly the same way. I kept going back for more sea robin.

I'll second this, they are very good eating. They do not yield much meat though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think sea Robin is a decent stock fish. The stock is fatty and would be good over mussels and clams in a stew. 
 

if anyone has experience with catching Atlantic herring on hook and line-I need help. I know how to pickle them- but I have a hard time finding them. I caught one on a sabiki last year....one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, BobBass said:

I think sea Robin is a decent stock fish. The stock is fatty and would be good over mussels and clams in a stew. 
 

if anyone has experience with catching Atlantic herring on hook and line-I need help. I know how to pickle them- but I have a hard time finding them. I caught one on a sabiki last year....one. 

Sea Robin Paella here I come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, ridenfish said:

I'll second this, they are very good eating. They do not yield much meat though.

Very true. Under 14" or so and they're not really worth the effort unless you catch a bunch of them. How do you clean them? Do you fillet them or gut, skin, and behead them? I Gut, skin, behead. Easier than filleting and you get a better yield. I can clean one in under 3 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Very true. Under 14" or so and they're not really worth the effort unless you catch a bunch of them. How do you clean them? Do you fillet them or gut, skin, and behead them? I Gut, skin, behead. Easier than filleting and you get a better yield. I can clean one in under 3 minutes.

I fillet them.  I’m not the best at it though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, BobBass said:

I think sea Robin is a decent stock fish. The stock is fatty and would be good over mussels and clams in a stew. 
 

if anyone has experience with catching Atlantic herring on hook and line-I need help. I know how to pickle them- but I have a hard time finding them. I caught one on a sabiki last year....one. 

Yeah, herring is on my 'figure this out' list too. I'd love to smoke up a batch of them!

 

I read a while back that Robin is a relative of the Mediterranean scorpion fish, which is a classic ingredient in bouillabaisse. I haven't tried making stock yet, but I do keep the really big Robins I pick up.  As far as cleaning, the Brits have a pretty good trick...

 

 

Edited by gellfex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.