kingfish

fluke

tog

triggers

bonito

blowfish

porgy

would not eat striped bass, bluefish or weakfish

This is an awesome list.  And I’ve got some questions as always as I’m dying to learn.

first question: is this list in order of your culinary preference?

winter flounder- are these different than sundials?  At the end of a fluke season once I kept catching what I could only describe as small round fluke without teeth. I tried to research it and settled on them being “sundial“ or “windowpane” but not with a lot of confidence.  

spanish Mackerel, sea bass, ling, bonito- can you get these from the shore or kayak, or do you need a boat?  These fish are all very interesting to me.  

bonito and blowfish I know people get from shore but I have zero idea how to target them,

and my beloved porgies, in New England I could catch enough dinner plate sized porgies to feed everyone all summer and here I haven’t found a one.  Someone on this site was nice enough to point me in a direction that I’m looking forward to trying next summer. 

with regards to the stripers, weakfish and bluefish is this because the fisheries are down or a taste preference?  I know stripers and weakfish have been in trouble. I wasn’t sure if bluefish were in that category as well.  I know many people don’t have a preference for the taste of bluefish.  

19 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

white perch

summer flounder

walleye

BSB

scup

kingfish

cod

tommies

large bergals

all deep fried of course,,,

HH

Oh man do I have questions!  What are 

BSB and Tommies?

are bergals sea robins? 
someone else’s also mentioned white perch, I’ve got to do some research on these.

cod you need to put pretty far for right?  

17 mins ago, adoboboy said:

My favorite fish in NJ would be the ff:

1. Triggerfish

2. Fluke

3. Butterfish

4. Porgy

5. Sea bass

Crabs:

1. Rock/jonah crab

2. Blue crab

I’m not sure what a butterfish is.  It’s really exciting that there are so many more fish here than I realized.

my porgy/sea bass question is the same for everyone are they reachable by shore or kayak?  I know they’re out on the wrecks and reefs but was curious if they’re ever in closer.

i see rock crabs all the time when I’m diving.  I had heard people take one claw and then let them go.  I wasn’t sure how much meat there would be.  I love blue crab.  

anyone get clams or mussels here?  Clamming is big up north, I hadn’t seen anyone here but that definitely doesn’t mean people aren’t doing it. I’ve mostly fished out front I imagine clamming is more rivers and bays.  

26 mins ago, Samba Surf said:

anyone get clams or mussels here?  Clamming is big up north, I hadn’t seen anyone here but that definitely doesn’t mean people aren’t doing it. I’ve mostly fished out front I imagine clamming is more rivers and bays.  

RJ used to do a lot of clamming... At the SOL flings there was always a clam dish....

Anybody know what's up with RJ?

Just now, Frugal Fisherman said:

Pickerel are pretty good.... kinda like fluke but has tons of bones. I can't stand any other freshwater fish

I started out as a youth fishing for pickerel and because they were very full of bones never tried them...

1 hour ago, Samba Surf said:

my porgy/sea bass question is the same for everyone are they reachable by shore or kayak?

Porgy are definitely kayakable, Western Sound is a great place, as are spots in Jamaica Bay from what I see on videos. Don't know where you are. I never found decent sized ones in Raritan, unless its a crap day I don't keep them under 12". Problem with NJ inshore porgy is a general lack of rocky structure other than some reefs. Same with Seabass, never caught anything like a keeper on the kayak anywhere but the Sound.  I'm not brave enough to head off the beach several miles out in the ocean to the wrecks or play around in heavy current and boat traffic at Norton Point or such.

Love filling the freezer with porgy: tasty versatile fillets, no guilt of overfishing like most of our gamefish, and fun on light tackle on a summer day. But filleting a pile of them gets tiresome!

Edited by gellfex

I'LL PUT LITTLE NECK CLAMS ON THE  TOP OF MY LIST,

FOLLOWED BY :

AHI (YELLOW FIN TUNA)

HALIBUT

HADDOCK

FRESH CAUGHT SALMON

FLUKE

SMOKED SALMON

SMOKED BLUE FISH

FRESH WATER PERCH

I HAVE HAD JELLY FISH A COUPLE OF TIMES AND ENJOYED IT (CHINESE RESTAURANT)

STEAMED AND FRIED CLAMS

I COULD ADD MORE, BUT THESE ARE MY FAVORITES

2 hours ago, Samba Surf said:

Oh man do I have questions!  What are 

BSB and Tommies?

are bergals sea robins? 
someone else’s also mentioned white perch, I’ve got to do some research on these.

cod you need to put pretty far for right?  

BSB=Black sea bass.

tommies=tommycod.

bergals  are related to blackfish and kinda look like them too but,smaller in size.

white perch are very good eating,have not done them in many years now.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

12 hours ago, Samba Surf said:

someone told me they were poisonous, I never gave them another thought.

While many species of puffer fish are poisonous, the North Atlantic Puffer ('Blowfish" what you catch in Jersey) are perfectly safe.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

7 hours ago, suntzu said:

Boat fish don’t count so i left swords, tuna, mako and mahi off

i caught a ling once in MI and porgies in RB from shore twice ;)

i used to catch a lot of keeper sea bass in MI but no more

butters, pompano are ok 

forgot kingfish which are top 5

Suntzu! :eek:

:wave: Bud..... :)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174