Samba Surf

Favorite Food Fish

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

This was inspired by a post about blowfish where someone had a picture of a beautiful plate of food with blowfish as the main course.  I honestly didn’t even know they were edible.  I caught one in a crab trap as a kid many years ago, someone told me they were poisonous, I never gave them another thought.  I’ve said it a few times, my main passion with fishing has always been getting my own food and nowadays food for my family. I’m curious what are some of everyone’s favorite fish for food (that you can catch in NJ). I was primarily thinking salt water but if there’s a great fresh water fish please mention that too. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fluke is the all around favorite in my house. Never had blowfish but heard great things. Same goes with triggerfish. Honorable mention goes to smoked bluefish. Northern kingfish is great too. Maybe better then fluke.

Edited by adams54

Posted (edited) · Report post

51 mins ago, Samba Surf said:

This was inspired by a post about blowfish where someone had a picture of a beautiful plate of food with blowfish as the main course.  I honestly didn’t even know they were edible.  I caught one in a crab trap as a kid many years ago, someone told me they were poisonous, I never gave them another thought.  I’ve said it a few times, my main passion with fishing has always been getting my own food and nowadays food for my family. I’m curious what are some of everyone’s favorite fish for food (that you can catch in NJ). I was primarily thinking salt water but if there’s a great fresh water fish please mention that too. 

Triggerfish is in my top 3 (with Tog)

I feel lucky when I find them- they aren’t hard to catch just hard to find. I grill them directly on the “half shell” with old bay. 

A44617DF-1982-4362-86CF-2EACDA23763D.jpeg

32DC93C6-54FA-432C-B20C-12EB5FF77AD1.jpeg

Edited by BobBass

14 mins ago, adams54 said:

Fluke is the all around favorite in my house. Never had blowfish but heard great things. Same goes with triggerfish. Honorable mention goes to smoked bluefish. Northern kingfish is great too. Maybe better then fluke.

Absolutely!  I caught a nice sized kingfish when I was fluking this summer so I threw in the bag as well.  Cooked them together and I think I actually preferred the kingfish!  I couldn’t believe it.  I absolutely love bluefish.  I need a smoker.  I do a soy sauce green onion marinade and then grill it.  

17 mins ago, BobBass said:

Triggerfish is in my top 3 (with Tog)

I feel lucky when I find them- they aren’t hard to catch just hard to find. I grill them directly on the “half shell” with old bay. 

A44617DF-1982-4362-86CF-2EACDA23763D.jpeg

32DC93C6-54FA-432C-B20C-12EB5FF77AD1.jpeg

That’s crazy,  they clean them like sea robins.  I was told sea robin is surprisingly good.  And even though I’ve caught hundreds in my life, after I was told that in the summer I never saw another one.  I just started spearfishing this year.  I haven’t dove the inlets yet but the guys that do always kill em on the triggers.  I heard they are among our best local fare.  

Too bad you can’t catch sea bass from the surf... You have to buy “Chilean Sea Bass”. 

Blackfish are terrific and can be caught around jetty’s as well a out deep. They feed shrimp, crustaceans, small lobsters etc. So they taste like like no other.  

1 min ago, MarkG said:

Too bad you can’t catch sea bass from the surf... You have to buy “Chilean Sea Bass”. 

Blackfish are terrific and can be caught around jetty’s as well a out deep. They feed shrimp, crustaceans, small lobsters etc. So they taste like like no other.  

I’ve often wondered can you reach any sea bass grounds in a kayak?  I’m from New England originally and there’s easy spots to get out to sea bass and all the porgies (my absolute favorite fish) you could ever want.  

Sea bass are delicious. If I had to choose that would be my choice.

Tog a close second. Fluke and kingfish also good.

Tried white perch from saltwater last weekend. Was awesome.

11 mins ago, PhilCVG said:

Sea bass are delicious. If I had to choose that would be my choice.

Tog a close second. Fluke and kingfish also good.

Tried white perch from saltwater last weekend. Was awesome.

I don’t know anything about white perch but the name.  Are they out front or rivers and bays?

21 mins ago, Samba Surf said:

I don’t know anything about white perch but the name.  Are they out front or rivers and bays?

Rivers and bays as far as I know. I caught mine from the Delaware Bay.

IMO better than fluke. 

Winter flounder

spanish Mackerel 

sea bass

ling

kingfish

fluke

tog

triggers

bonito

blowfish

porgy