ThrowinPlugs

Seigler SGN Vs Accurate Tern 300 Light Jigging

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

Looking between these two. I have the Tern 500 for bait dropping, deeper water etc but would really like a smaller conventional for jigging (blackfish, seabass). Which of the two would you prefer? I have no preference on star vs lever drag. Im leaning towards the SGN but maybe yall can sway me. Also, I reel conv. Lefty. Thanks!

I have an SGN and I don’t thing I would use it for blackfish jigs. 

Weight and bait yes. 

What rod are you planning to pair it with. 

Most of the cool kids are use low profile baitcasters for the blackfish jigs, like a lexa or tranx.

I would look for something with a light spool, maybe whiffle spool, and fast spool bearings. You need to drop light weight with as little resistance as possible. Diawa kyogha? Lexa? 

For jigs specifically, neither of those reels would be my first choice... both great reels, but not meant for small seabass jigs or tog jigs, imo...

I have the sgn and love it.  It's a workhorse and one of my favorite wreck reels, but as mentioned above it's definitely a weight n bait reel. I've used it jigging a few times, but with heavier jigs (over 100g).. It's durability comes with the down side of some side plate pressure that results in a less free spinning spool... for light jigs (I use a lot of ¾&1oz tog jigs and rarely use above 60g for seabass) that would not work out well. 

For light jigs, my preference is a baitcaster first or a spinning combo next... 

But between your stated options, I believe the tern will suit your needs better. It has a significantly freer spinning spool, less side plate pressure (a factor to consider w the seigler and light weights), and it's a star drag (which is meaningless to me, but seems to be a really big deal to a lot of these guys)...

Edited by Beachglass Guru

6 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

For jigs specifically, neither of those reels would be my first choice... both great reels, but not meant for small seabass jigs or tog jigs, imo...

I have the sgn and love it.  It's a workhorse and one of my favorite wreck reels, but as mentioned above it's definitely a weight n bait reel. I've used it jigging a few times, but with heavier jigs (over 100g).. It's durability comes with the down side of some side plate pressure that results in a less free spinning spool... for light jigs (I use a lot of ¾&1oz tog jigs and rarely use above 60g for seabass) that would not work out well. 

For light jigs, my preference is a baitcaster first or a spinning combo next... 

But between your stated options, I believe the tern will suit your needs better. It has a significantly freer spinning spool, less side plate pressure (a factor to consider w the seigler and light weights), and it's a star drag (which is meaningless to me, but seems to be a really big deal to a lot of these guys)...

Thanks for the awesome reply!

The jigging world micro might be an option but I would go with the Maxel 20 over that. 

The Maxel does have a thumb bar spool release I think would make it more convenient for jigs.

The jigging world does have the Maxel on sale right now for $209 but in pink color only. If color don’t matter it is a good deal.