kid_just_wants_to_fish

Trout Lures

216 posts in this topic

I'm mostly an inline spinner / shiny object guy when it comes to trout.  Joe's Flies are my new favorite.  Excellent handling at slower speeds.

Other than that, Trout Magnets of any color and the tiny Powerbait tubes (I like the copper colored).

On 11/12/2020 at 7:15 PM, Hook I said:

Really huge Browns on5fadcfbde69d8_xrivertrout12.jpg.7b840d681c633946b9a689ddfdbe5152.jpg the  " Big K " I have one boat left there , I sold one a few years ago , xriver is another big brown water  got one on a Husky Jerk Bait ( released ) 

Mixed fisheries produce some of the biggest brown trout in the country. During the warm water season the bass dominate the scene, and during the cool/cold water seasons species like trout and walleyes dominate.

Some brown trout seem to be wizards when it comes to finding cool water refuges to survive the Summer Season. The are also willing to travel long distances from their Summer to Fall/Winter refuges like smallmouths and walleyes.

This trout hammered a blue and white 4" Senko while fishing for early Spring smallmouths.

As far as trout lures for kids, small spinners, crank baits, and trout magnets under a bobber are hard to beat if you are not split shotting a power worm or bait.

Hmm, I would think Oregon has some real monsters.

IMGP0003a.jpg

Edited by Jay Blair

1 hour ago, Jay Blair said:

Mixed fisheries produce some of the biggest brown trout in the country. During the warm water season the bass dominate the scene, and during the cool/cold water seasons species like trout and walleyes dominate.

Some brown trout seem to be wizards when it comes to finding cool water refuges to survive the Summer Season. The are also willing to travel long distances from their Summer to Fall/Winter refuges like smallmouths and walleyes.

This trout hammered a blue and white 4" Senko while fishing for early Spring smallmouths.

As far as trout lures for kids, small spinners, crank baits, and trout magnets under a bobber are hard to beat if you are not split shotting a power worm or bait.

Hmm, I would think Oregon has some real monsters.

IMGP0003a.jpg

Nice !!!! If your up my way shoot me a pm . We can fish together . 3 boats left great fishing system . 

On 11/24/2020 at 5:57 PM, HugeDinghy said:

I fish small jerk-baits almost exclusively in order to cull out the small ones. 

845642AC-69B3-4BCD-8503-33FA70CC5291.jpeg

7C4E074B-61DC-4D54-A625-125B5C92C333.jpeg

I fish 00 mephs to catch all ones that you leave behind.:howdy:

1/16th oz. Rooster Tails will catch fish just about anywhere.  Favorites are coach dog, rainbow trout, black, and white. Rainbows seem to like a Vibrax a little better and the Browns like the Rooster Tails.

When I young and fished a lot for stocked trout, spinners were always in my kit.

Edited by Jay Blair

On 11/24/2020 at 7:38 AM, Slick706 said:

I agree with all the recommendations. Wanted to add Joes flies, the trout special and brown hackle produced very well this past spring.  

pretty smart guy that Joe ,looks like he has a nice product  thanks for sharing 

On 11/12/2020 at 8:35 AM, Jay Blair said:

Hmm, I would think a good set up for beginners would be a small power worm on a fine wire hook and small split shot with or without a float, an inline spinner, or a trout magnet under a float.

Agreed 100% . Those Power Worms worked fro my grand kids, and non-fisherman son. I'm hoping it turned him into a fisherman.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:47 AM, PSegnatelli said:

I LOVE trout fishing. 

I don't see why a tube wouldn't work.  Especially in the fall, when they put on the feed bag. 

I do really well on Gulp minnows and a jighead. Small 1inch minnow on a trout magnet jig head under a float. 

But my go to is Mepps spinners with squirrel tail trebel.  But also love Thomas Bouyant & Phoebe spoons. 

Gonna try Gulp minnows this year just for fun.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:15 PM, vce12342000 said:

caught many stockers on tube jigs 1/32 oz green pumpkin color. 0 size gold panther martin spinners work well also 

Yup!

On 11/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, Mike Mendez said:

A red/gold 1/6 oz Thomas Buoyant is my go-to lure.  As for tube baits, I have caught many rainbows on these Gulp Atomic tubes in the grasshopper color shown.

Atomic Tube.JPG

Funny you mention that. There were a couple EARLY spring trips that these were the only things I could get bit on.

JD

On 12/24/2020 at 7:29 AM, Jay Blair said:

IMGP0003a.jpg

Very interesting.  I fished lots of waters that hold trout for smallest.  Would get a by catch trout on hard baits (cranks or jerks)  but never on any soft plastics.  I know the trout eat crayfish and always thought one would take a tube but nope.

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Very interesting.  I fished lots of waters that hold trout for smallest.  Would get a by catch trout on hard baits (cranks or jerks)  but never on any soft plastics.  I know the trout eat crayfish and always thought one would take a tube but nope.

It was not a typical catch and in this case the trout hit the Senko when it ripped free of a snag on the bottom. I would guess it was a reflexive strike.

Most of our largest trout from mixed fisheries were caught on crank baits or rip baits. While the trout would often chase plastics like flukes they would rarely engulf them. It was almost like they reacted to the fluke or Seno like it was a baby lamprey and they were trying to nip and cripple it without eating it.

We have only caught 3 trout on Senkos in many years of fishing. One was a large wild brook trout caught on a 3" black Senko.

3" to 4" minnow rip baits were our most effective lure for large trout.

I have also caught some of my largest trout, over 24", on short fat crankbaits in crayfish finishes, so yeah, crayfish are on definitely on the menu. Even some of our largest rainbows came on little fat shallow diving crank baits, but the majority of bites came on minnow rip baits.

Edited by Jay Blair

Further note: It has been my experience that rainbows are the one species of trout that really seem to like small jigs and tubes, but they generally won't hit bass plastics unless they look like a small fish or worm. Most are crappie sized baits and smaller like the tiny tubes and buggy looking jigs.

What I can't figure is why the won't hit a 3-4" green pumpkins Senkos because they look like a crane fly larva which is also on the big trout menu.

The fly equivalent is a cylindrical meatball fly in olive. The flies looks like a large fat olive wooly bugger tapered at both ends without the hackle and tail. If you think of a short fat green ugly looking worm you have the general idea.

Just about any stream that supports benthic organisms will have lots of crane fly larva.

Edited by Jay Blair

1 hour ago, Jay Blair said:

It was not a typical catch and in this case the trout hit the Senko when it ripped free of a snag on the bottom. I would guess it was a reflexive strike.

Most of our largest trout from mixed fisheries were caught on crank baits or rip baits. While the trout would often chase plastics like flukes they would rarely engulf them. It was almost like they reacted to the fluke or Seno like it was a baby lamprey and they were trying to nip and cripple it without eating it.

We have only caught 3 trout on Senkos in many years of fishing. One was a large wild brook trout caught on a 3" black Senko.

3" to 4" minnow rip baits were our most effective lure for large trout.

I have also caught some of my largest trout, over 24", on short fat crankbaits in crayfish finishes, so yeah, crayfish are on definitely on the menu. Even some of our largest rainbows came on little fat shallow diving crank baits, but the majority of bites came on minnow rip baits.

39 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

Further note: It has been my experience that rainbows are the one species of trout that really seem to like small jigs and tubes, but they generally won't hit bass plastics unless they look like a small fish or worm. Most are crappie sized baits and smaller like the tiny tubes and buggy looking jigs.

What I can't figure is why the won't hit a 3-4" green pumpkins Senkos because they look like a crane fly larva which is also on the big trout menu.

The fly equivalent is a cylindrical meatball fly in olive. The flies looks like a large fat olive wooly bugger tapered at both ends without the hackle and tail. If you think of a short fat green ugly looking worm you have the general idea.

Just about any stream that supports benthic organisms will have lots of crane fly larva.

Good information to keep in mind. It's details like that that take things to another level. Ever consider writing a book?

So when you say short fat cranks in cray patterns, may I assume you mean lures like Rebel Teeny Wee & Wee Crawfish? See pic.

JD

Image 12-30-20 at 10.59 AM.jpeg