kid_just_wants_to_fish

Trout Lures

336 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Jay, the hookup tackle has the rereleased Flash Minnow 80 in 4 colors, and the Rozante is a funny lure - 2 out of a dozen or so I own come with magnets so strong I can't engage the weight transfer bearing unless I cast with full force. Otherwise they are great little jerkbaits - very lively and responsive, with more of a rolling dart than more flat-sided JBs. 

I purchase from Hookup from time to time and they have a nice very selection of JDM baits.  The new River Bait finish works well for me, however I wish Duo would bring back some of the original finishes like. Prism Ayu, Black Gold, Black Gold Red, and Turbidity Gold which had a unique coppery gold finish.

Buddha, are you talking about the 77 SPs or 63 SPs ?  The 77 SPs have been a nice addition to my lure arsenal and I caught my biggest trout and smallmouth on one them this years as well as some nice walleyes.  I could not get the 63 SPs to cast well and they have a slightly different action.

4 hours ago, Long Wader said:

I purchase from Hookup from time to time and they have a nice very selection of JDM baits.  The new River Bait finish works well for me, however I wish Duo would bring back some of the original finishes like. Prism Ayu, Black Gold, Black Gold Red, and Turbidity Gold which had a unique coppery gold finish.

Buddha, are you talking about the 77 SPs or 63 SPs ?  The 77 SPs have been a nice addition to my lure arsenal and I caught my biggest trout and smallmouth on one them this years as well as some nice walleyes.  I could not get the 63 SPs to cast well and they have a slightly different action.

River Bait throws more light than any colorway out there, bright sunny days spybaiting it can't be beat. I hardly use any gold hues in my hardbaits, not a productive color for me but it sounds like Duo needs to bring in a trout line for their smaller JBs!

I only have the Rozante 77s, never tried the 63s. If you're looking for a deep diving small shad bait the OSP High Cut DR SP casts like a bullet and looks great. 

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, buddha162 said:

River Bait throws more light than any colorway out there, bright sunny days spybaiting it can't be beat. I hardly use any gold hues in my hardbaits, not a productive color for me but it sounds like Duo needs to bring in a trout line for their smaller JBs!

I only have the Rozante 77s, never tried the 63s. If you're looking for a deep diving small shad bait the OSP High Cut DR SP casts like a bullet and looks great. 

The gold black, sliver black and crawfish finishes are most effective in rivers. In lakes the shad, shiner, alewife, perch, crawfish and silver finishes work well for me. In turbid water copper, red and light green with a purple back works well.  The green purple finish is called Table Rock Shad.

I will take a look at the OSP shad bait.  The OSP JBs were OK in the Rivers, but my Zip Baits and Duos still out performed them. Most of my best river baits work well as JBs and Crankbaits with a pronounced roll or wiggle at slower speeds. While bass see to respond to a hard jerk/pause sometimes trout like a less aggressive twitch, pause and then slow roll retrieve.

Edited by Long Wader

On 1/23/2023 at 6:20 PM, Sandcrab said:

My fishing areas in Western Maryland and West Virginia. Heaven!

20220422_091918.jpg

20191117_105844.jpg

20220425_104801.jpg

20220424_090217.jpg

Savage River?   Great native area out there.  

As for lures the old flicker spinners and the swiss swing worked well for me back in the day.