kid_just_wants_to_fish

Trout Lures

111 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello all,

Has anyone ever used zoom tubes for trout fishing, maybe like the 3.75" on a 1/8 oz tube jig. I think they would work well. Opinions?

Thanks

zoom tube.PNG

Yes, I have used very small tube jigs for trout. I use the bass pro squirmin' squirts 1.5 inch on a 1/16th or 1/8oz jig. These and hair jigs of same oz in natural colors have been awesome for me.

Edited by Gecko_13

Never had much luck with soft plastics fir trout other than Trout magnets.  No reason they will not work just not for me.

I like catching them on plugs the best.  Husky jerks pins minnows etc

This should be a good thread for me ,as I never Targeted trout season with a spin & lures = teaching my 5 year old grandson . At the Junction Pool .  
B549F873-3650-475D-AC2E-0C14D43B9A57.jpeg.99087975a1b92adba6274c576ac0be79.jpeg

Edited by Hook I

33 mins ago, Hook I said:

This should be a good thread for me ,as I never Targeted trout season with a spin & lures = teaching my 5 year old grandson . At the Junction Pool .  
B549F873-3650-475D-AC2E-0C14D43B9A57.jpeg.99087975a1b92adba6274c576ac0be79.jpeg

I always had my kids throw inline spinners - trout hit em and they are pretty foolproof to fish, cast and reel 

Hmm, I would think a good set up for beginners would be a small power worm on a fine wire hook and small split shot with or without a float, an inline spinner, or a trout magnet under a float.

Depth , speed , size & color are more important than the actual lure. Pick something that has a good hookup to strike ratio. The clearer, shallower or slower the water the smaller the lure or fly.

Trout will swim up to strike & if it looks fake will turn away. If clear & slow little twitches will entice a strike.

I LOVE trout fishing. 

I don't see why a tube wouldn't work.  Especially in the fall, when they put on the feed bag. 

I do really well on Gulp minnows and a jighead. Small 1inch minnow on a trout magnet jig head under a float. 

But my go to is Mepps spinners with squirrel tail trebel.  But also love Thomas Bouyant & Phoebe spoons. 

I used to use massive tubes 7"-10" and dead stick jigged for lake trout on 1 oz lead heads.

1 hour ago, Jay Blair said:

Hmm, I would think a good set up for beginners would be a small power worm on a fine wire hook and small split shot with or without a float, an inline spinner, or a trout magnet under a float.

Or a nymph fly under that float. May as well get em into it early.

I've never had much success ( but then again, never fished much ) using lures for trout.

My dad's absolute favorite is a lure I haven't seen in decades: it was a spoon, sort of like a slim phoebe, but had a pearl / ceramic or
plastic attached on the back. He had a couple of those that he fished 90% of the time, the other 10% he used worms or salmon eggs, usually reserved for opening day or very early cold weather.

On a local mudhole stocked pond, I used to see guys fishing small phoebe's or similar with either an inline weight or 3 way with very light weight, to keep the lure down. Very successful with shell shocked, newly stocked rainbows.

When I go out trout fishing (which has been very sparse the past few years), it's always with a fly rod, and most of the time lately I'm swinging some type of woolly bugger and/or muddler minnow.

For a beginner, trout magnets on an ultralight should/could work just about anywhere, and they work on almost anything.

I caught my biggest pic on a trout magnet which snagged the corner of it's jaw miraculously. Thing was a beast :D

Edited by robtf

19 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello all,

Has anyone ever used zoom tubes for trout fishing, maybe like the 3.75" on a 1/8 oz tube jig. I think they would work well. Opinions?

Thanks

zoom tube.PNG

I never used it intentionally for trout,,but while Bass fishing in Kensico Reservoir..I connected with a big brown,,almost 9 lbs,,Berkley Green Pumpkin Tube.

9 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I LOVE trout fishing. 

I don't see why a tube wouldn't work.  Especially in the fall, when they put on the feed bag. 

I do really well on Gulp minnows and a jighead. Small 1inch minnow on a trout magnet jig head under a float. 

But my go to is Mepps spinners with squirrel tail trebel.  But also love Thomas Bouyant & Phoebe spoons. 

I 2nd the Mepps spinners and Phoebe spoons. Also try a 1/8 oz roadrunner with a tiny curly tail and 1/8 oz kastmaster. I also saw above the float and fly (wet nymph) mentioned - it works and might be easiest to start

57 mins ago, cashews121 said:

I never used it intentionally for trout,,but while Bass fishing in Kensico Reservoir..I connected with a big brown,,almost 9 lbs,,Berkley Green Pumpkin Tube.

Really huge Browns on5fadcfbde69d8_xrivertrout12.jpg.7b840d681c633946b9a689ddfdbe5152.jpg the  " Big K " I have one boat left there , I sold one a few years ago , xriver is another big brown water  got one on a Husky Jerk Bait ( released ) 

Edited by Hook I