Does anyone use a 6 or 7 ft rod off the beach

Rate this topic

bechill11

I find myself preferring my 8' Triumph over my 10' mojo more and more. This time of year though with potential big fish in the wash and the washing machine calling for heavier lures at times, I'll bring out the 10' mojo. But the sensitivity and control of the shorter rods is just nice, and It's just easier to fish all day without tiring out.

Snapped my 10 footer at sandy hook one oct  afternoon at sandy hook all I had was a 7ft rod fen wick at least 15/20 yrs old ......it was getting near dusk put a surface popper on it and caught many blues and some short stripers definetly saved the day.....when I got back to the truck a state trooper drove up and asked to see what’s in the cooler then a the sandy hook L E with the green uniforms MAYBE FOREST RANGER OR D E P ..I looked rather bewildered not knowing what was going on ,,,the trooper said we can do this the easy way or the hard way we are looking for short stripers ....I did comply talked to them for a bit and off we went ....I always have a second or third rod in the truck the 7 footer is still one of them

4 hours ago, Dumprdog said:

They are poisonous, can kill you. Please read up on these, they must be prepared a certain way. 

So so false. Northern pufferfish are non toxic and delicious. Fugu is a completely different fish than what we get in our waters. I’ve heard of some smooth puffers in the local waters way for the 1st time in my life. They are Toxic but not very common 

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

I use a bunch of different rods in the surf. I have an 8 and 9 surf foot rod, but I find myself opting for my 7'6 medium heavy inshore and 7' medium more often. The inshore is great of the jetties because its sensitive but has great backbone and casts metals a mile. All in all, it really depends on the day. The more you keep in the arsenal, the better.

• 2 weeks later...

I fish my 7’ rods many for fluke from the beach in the summer, but do end up catching a fair share of bass with them.  

My main rods are a 8’ Lamiglas with VS150 I wrapped and a new ODM DNA with Penn Slammer 3500.  Both are great setups.  

I only fish my 9’ & 10’rods when there’s lots of wind, rough surf or I plan to toss something heavy.  

My ultra light summer surf setup for spanish mackerel and fluke the past two years has been a 7' St. Croix Triumph, light as a feather. Also just picked up a 7' 6" ODM DNA BackBay which will most likely serve as my new year-round go to if I plan on throwing 1/2oz - 1oz and don't need maximum distance (have a 9' ODM Genesis for that).

I like my 7' Lami GLb for very light surf and back bays. I rarely use it for open beach fishing but sometimes when I am sure there is only schoolies around I will use it on open beach. For me, it is best used when I am in the back bays and have to make a very accurate cast to a tight area. For example--- a piece of cord grass on the edge of a drain. I will also say be careful thinking there are only schoolies around. I recall one August night on false bar in Montauk when schoolie bass were breaking on speaking and I couldn't catch them with my bigger plugs and 11' rod set up. I brought my 7' out with a 1/4 ounce lead head and a curly tail. On the first cast I was spooled completely. LOL! I just put up a rod review on my youtube channel. If interested you can go check it. 

Bill Wetzel
NYS Licensed Guide

13 mins ago, Billwetzel said:

I like my 7' Lami GLb for very light surf and back bays. I rarely use it for open beach fishing but sometimes when I am sure there is only schoolies around I will use it on open beach. For me, it is best used when I am in the back bays and have to make a very accurate cast to a tight area. For example--- a piece of cord grass on the edge of a drain. I will also say be careful thinking there are only schoolies around. I recall one August night on false bar in Montauk when schoolie bass were breaking on speaking and I couldn't catch them with my bigger plugs and 11' rod set up. I brought my 7' out with a 1/4 ounce lead head and a curly tail. On the first cast I was spooled completely. LOL! I just put up a rod review on my youtube channel. If interested you can go check it. 

Loved the rod article...never considered taping the reel until that video. Also like the idea of not jumping on the new tech just because its new.

If you mean walk a sand beach during fall bass runs w/ 7' as your only rod, I'd look at it 3 ways....casting distance, quality of the rod and skill.  With today's line dia. short rods are more doable but casting distance is lost.  A smaller rod may be less forgiving with big fish so quality comes into play.  Lastly, I believe skill comes into play with a large fish on 7'....you can't horse big fish.

I guess another perspective is age....I fish with an old timer that uses 7' as it's easier on his body.  BTW that old timer landed a 48" bass on his 7 footer the other day.  7' works for him extremely well.               

Salt air provides the levity needed for survival.