JohnW93

Snook Jig

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Not too much different from the original Smilin' Bill bucktails that used to be a standard striped bass lure--basically a bucktail with some long saddle hackles that flared out well past the hair.

21 hours ago, JohnW93 said:

Anyone have experience using snook jigs/flair hawk jigs from the surf? They look really interesting — essentially a bucktail with a feather trailer instead of a jig strip. 

Saw same videos what you’re talking about— First Light was company mentioned I had never seen that before but look really interesting 

A flairhawk jig has a different style jighead than a bucktail. It's flaired out which causes the hair to puff outwards. Typically, has a section of long hair too. 

Flairhawks are great at mimicking pinfish.  

Edited by Mr. Sophistication

On 11/11/2020 at 8:15 PM, JohnW93 said:

Anyone have experience using snook jigs/flair hawk jigs from the surf? They look really interesting — essentially a bucktail with a feather trailer instead of a jig strip. 

I’m not familiar with the flair hawks but I tie a few buck tails up every season with feathers extending far beyond the bucktail hair with excellent results. The key is using the correct feathers in the correct orientation and quantity, too get that nice undulation. I reach for these first when the bass are keyed in on slimmer bait. They also work great in heavy sweep as they sink faster (without using a heavier jig) than a typical jig strip/curly tail trailer on a jog of the same weight.