dbjpb

stealth fusion

22 posts in this topic

Looks like Stealth and Jim Marsh created a new roto molded kayak for around $1800.

There are some interesting you tube videos out there of it.  Looks like a nice paddling kayak .

LENGTH:15'7"

WIDTH:27"

WEIGHT:66 lbs

CAPACITY:430 lbs

TopAngle-600x600.png
Edited by dbjpb

It does look interesting but it would take a lot of getting used to and changing how I store my gear with no crate. I find it tough enough fishing out of the Scupper Pro. I also think I would have preferred 2 ft shorter and the weight savings from that. 15.5' is damn long!

14 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Do you use a seat with the scupper pro John? I don’t see  seat with the  fusion kayak?

Yes, I've been using the same seat you sold me with the C14. Although last time out I was stretching back and one of the plastic mounting pieces broke! Fortunately I had gotten rid of those damn cord loops and replaced them with little stainless carabiners so I could fix it on the water.

I think the biggest problem would be trying to get an angry blue fish around the nose of the kayak on a 7 foot rod. I don’t think it would work ?  A  smaller version would be nice as well as a local retailer.  But our local retailers don’t seem interested in this type of kayak. I am sure they know what people want. This seems like a pedal kayak site/ area?

17 hours ago, dbjpb said:

I think the biggest problem would be trying to get an angry blue fish around the nose of the kayak on a 7 foot rod. I don’t think it would work ?  A  smaller version would be nice as well as a local retailer.  But our local retailers don’t seem interested in this type of kayak. I am sure they know what people want. This seems like a pedal kayak site/ area?

Nah. Plenty of vids of guys catching big fast fish with this style of boat. The rudder helps you swing around. Biggest issue is a run behind you fouling the rudder because no way your getting the line out if it wraps. I will troll 2 lines and have had some epic gong shows.

Everyone wants a wide kayak to hold a lawn chair so its "stable" Those paddle like crap so you have pedal drives. Rinse and repeat. I have the fiberglass version of this mold and its 5 meters so a little over 16'. Is great in the water but moving it around, yeah its looooong. Mine clocks in at 59 pounds with transducer.

Thanks for the update. You must be a very skilled fisherman. I tried trolling two rods once. It was a disaster.  How do you keep the fish you hook up from crossing lines ?

Do you reel in the line without the fish first?  That is what they seem to do on wicked tuna episodes.  They also have more then one person taking care of the rods.

13 mins ago, Chiefy said:

Nah. Plenty of vids of guys catching big fast fish with this style of boat. The rudder helps you swing around. Biggest issue is a run behind you fouling the rudder because no way your getting the line out if it wraps. I will troll 2 lines and have had some epic gong shows.

Everyone wants a wide kayak to hold a lawn chair so its "stable" Those paddle like crap so you have pedal drives. Rinse and repeat. I have the fiberglass version of this mold and its 5 meters so a little over 16'. Is great in the water but moving it around, yeah its looooong. Mine clocks in at 59 pounds with transducer.

So how much can a bigger fish spin the boat around? An 8# blue can certainly spin the C14, so you don't really have to swing across the bow or stern, though it sometimes makes it easier, especially if you have a preferred side to land a fish. I assume in Maine's rocky coast you have plenty of sheltered launches and don't have to do epic beach launches like the SA do.

In my case I keep the right side of the kayak clear. I have the fish finder on the left side. I try to land fish on the right side.   I don't have a rudder on my current ride, I had a rudder on an older kayak. I really did not like or use it,  Yes it is easy to foul your fishing line on your rudder. 

1 hour ago, dbjpb said:

Thanks for the update. You must be a very skilled fisherman. I tried trolling two rods once. It was a disaster.  How do you keep the fish you hook up from crossing lines ?

Do you reel in the line without the fish first?  That is what they seem to do on wicked tuna episodes.  They also have more then one person taking care of the rods.

Yes. 2 rods and a lit cigar...I am the best.

I will paddle like hell on hook up then try to get the other rod in. I am fishing shallow plugs running 5-15 deep max. Usually rapalas that float to help. Still usually end up with a fire drill once a trip.Just fishing for stripers and blues(funny). Plenty of youtubers out of australia with this boat catching tuna, mackeral etc fishing 2 rods on a troll.