247fishing

Surf perch

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, doublegregg said:

how far are you casting and catching those guys, and i assume the wooly bugger looks like nothing those perch are used to eating???  

ty for anal fin clarification

Hmmm if I had to guess how far I was casting... I use a 33' head (colored so visible) and I had about 1.5x that amount in running line out, plus 5' leader so maybe 75' on a good cast, but honestly I blow as many casts as I nail. Full disclosure: the tidal rip was running straight out away from me, so it was helping me by carrying my line out as I allowed the fly to sink. Ideal scenario. Regarding the bugger flies... the local spin guys around here do well using the red Big Gulp sandworms, so I tied the buggers with those in mind. Red chenille body, bright orange bead head, and a long flowing tail made of red or orange marabou. When I cut the fish open, I find only sand crabs--lots of them. I was standing in a thick bed of sand crabs. Sometimes it seems like they just want something that stands out, and red and orange are the trigger colors.

Uncle Stu,  30 red tails is a good day but I fished non stop from 8 AM -  7 PM.  & walked 3 - 4 miles in the process of trying to locate them.  My very favorite little spinning outfit for perch is rated 1/8 oz - 3/8 oz. & I was way under gunned for the conditions as I could barely reach the main body of fish.  Had I been able to cast another 15 yds. I'm sure my numbers would have increased dramatically.  I would get about 2 cranks on my reel handle & I was hooked up.  If I did not hook up withing 10 cranks I was out of the fish.  The fish were in a rip on the left side of a sand bar where it dropped off into a deep hole.  Had they been in a trough close to shore it would have been crazy good....... But none of the really big Red Tails I was looking for.   I seriously considered going back to the same place the following day with another rod capable of throwing 1 oz. & easily reached the honey hole....  But I was more interested in big fish than I was in numbers so I tried another location much further north that looked real promising...  I fished from 9 AM - 3 PM at this "real promising" location walking at least 3 miles thinking they would turn on at some point in the tide.... I managed 1/2 dozen decent fish (13' - 14")  & a couple slightly bigger but they just never really turned on.... So I went back to the place where I  got the 30 the day before except I walked another 1/2 mile further north & finally got into what I was looking for......Not fantastic numbers but quality stuff at 14" - 15"  & this time I had my larger rod...... I probably would have got skunked without it...  ..... It seems like when you find red tail that are feeding real actively they will hit most anything.  I've seen locals out fish me using chicken skin on a high-low rig...that being said my favorite lure is a root beer/red metal flake 3" Mister Twister paddle tail grub.  40 years ago I ordered 700 of them & doubt if I have 75 left.  The rubber back then seemed to be far more durable.  I'm not sure if I can get the identical product anymore.  I've also done good on quite an assortment of other grubs ranging in size from 1 1/2" - 2 1/2".  That little ZMan sand crab/crawfish looking lure can also be very effective.  I think that this time of year anywhere north of Salmon creek well up into Oregon can produce good fishing provided you catch the conditions ideal.... Small surf, ideal tides, minimal wind & plenty of luck.  Good maps & local knowledge can also save you precious time..  I don't know about you but I am not getting any younger..... Any time the conditions are right I seriously consider making the trip up there before I croak...  The few times I checked that ten mile area the structure did not appeal to me..... But that can change from day to day & I am sure that place can have its good days..... Hope this helps... Mike

Ouchie!  Ouchie!  Ouchie!  That poor rod has lead a rough life.  A lifetime of going for max distance with 5\8 oz. on an IM6 Loomis with a max rating of 3\8 oz gives it legendary advertising status for durability under abuse.:wag::D

On 4/4/2021 at 7:32 PM, Mike Fixter said:

Uncle Stu,  30 red tails is a good day but I fished non stop from 8 AM -  7 PM.  & walked 3 - 4 miles in the process of trying to locate them.  My very favorite little spinning outfit for perch is rated 1/8 oz - 3/8 oz. & I was way under gunned for the conditions as I could barely reach the main body of fish.  Had I been able to cast another 15 yds. I'm sure my numbers would have increased dramatically.  I would get about 2 cranks on my reel handle & I was hooked up.  If I did not hook up withing 10 cranks I was out of the fish.  The fish were in a rip on the left side of a sand bar where it dropped off into a deep hole.  Had they been in a trough close to shore it would have been crazy good....... But none of the really big Red Tails I was looking for.   I seriously considered going back to the same place the following day with another rod capable of throwing 1 oz. & easily reached the honey hole....  But I was more interested in big fish than I was in numbers so I tried another location much further north that looked real promising...  I fished from 9 AM - 3 PM at this "real promising" location walking at least 3 miles thinking they would turn on at some point in the tide.... I managed 1/2 dozen decent fish (13' - 14")  & a couple slightly bigger but they just never really turned on.... So I went back to the place where I  got the 30 the day before except I walked another 1/2 mile further north & finally got into what I was looking for......Not fantastic numbers but quality stuff at 14" - 15"  & this time I had my larger rod...... I probably would have got skunked without it...  ..... It seems like when you find red tail that are feeding real actively they will hit most anything.  I've seen locals out fish me using chicken skin on a high-low rig...that being said my favorite lure is a root beer/red metal flake 3" Mister Twister paddle tail grub.  40 years ago I ordered 700 of them & doubt if I have 75 left.  The rubber back then seemed to be far more durable.  I'm not sure if I can get the identical product anymore.  I've also done good on quite an assortment of other grubs ranging in size from 1 1/2" - 2 1/2".  That little ZMan sand crab/crawfish looking lure can also be very effective.  I think that this time of year anywhere north of Salmon creek well up into Oregon can produce good fishing provided you catch the conditions ideal.... Small surf, ideal tides, minimal wind & plenty of luck.  Good maps & local knowledge can also save you precious time..  I don't know about you but I am not getting any younger..... Any time the conditions are right I seriously consider making the trip up there before I croak...  The few times I checked that ten mile area the structure did not appeal to me..... But that can change from day to day & I am sure that place can have its good days..... Hope this helps... Mike

Geeez if you had invited me you could have borrowed one of my rods. You know I don't do them Snoopy rods.....

OK, now this tread is getting me all horned up going to hit up my favorite deserted beach this week and see if the fatties have shown up.

64D2E8A0-020F-45F3-AC6C-6C309F73A55E.JPG

80A60334-FAB5-4BDE-BF86-A2A826ADC10F.JPG

13336086_10209855673097475_2888685511120043931_n.jpg

13346822_10209855673817493_6829783046362189042_n.jpg

Hey Double D..... it looks like you stumbled over a couple of blind ones.... Good for you...... Moocks..... my apologies for not inviting you....it was a last minute deal & I just blasted out of here solo.....Our spot N of Fort Bragg was a bust & everywhere else I fished north of there required a bitch of a hike....