HillTop

Fly Rod Grips

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

Anyone here who builds rods know where one of these can be picked up ?    

Easy enough to make one of these but if commercially available for cheap $$ then it would save me some time.

Thx,

HT

5fab4627b7a8b_Corkgradingtool.jpg.675419c8f74c3b5cda4686dfbda477d3.jpg

Flyrad,

The purpose is to identify that area of the cork that when machined and sanded to the final shape you have the least amount of cork imperfections on your grips surface.

You align the plastic guide over the cork, maintaining concentricity with the 1/4" acrylic pin placed into the cork ring center hole and then grade your cork based on that gage reference diameter that shows the least number of imperfections in that diameter zone.    You should check both sides of the cork as imperfections are not always normal to the cork surface.  The gage also has small holes for the tip of a fine pen or marker so you have the option of also drawing a concentric circle on your cork for easily identifying the best position.  Hopefully this grading allows you to build your best looking grip by gluing up your corks based on best finished diameter along the entire length of the grip.

HT

3 mins ago, frazerp said:

Interesting, but a bit compulsive, tho w/the price of cork ???

HT - are you going to go ventilated ???

This winter I'm planning on building two additional MO TH rods so I'm looking at needing 60+ good corks.   Top grade Flor Corks probably cost $3+ each and I've found one site advertising them for $5 each.    Additionally you typically have to purchase excess corks as even in a group of the best there are some that need to be discarded.  Don't know about compulsive but anal.... sure  :)    (CCB would agree)  A lot of work goes into one of these rods and I want to know I gave myself the best chance of success along the way and this seems like a fairly simple way of cherry picking for placement that won't be too involved.     

HT

ps:  ??? ventilated ??

6 mins ago, ccb said:

Ask Mike , he only buys quality corks   He May know who to line you up with around here ? 

I have and Mike has given me some ideas...... but always doing research .... you know continuous improvement activities.       Just this morning I emailed a supplier in Portugal.    Not sure they will respond but what the heck why not try.

HT

Edited by HillTop

HT

Useful looking tool.  If only we could trust those treacherous corks.

The other day I picked two corks from my reject box. Plan was to turn a fighting butt. Would you believe it when I got to finished size no filling required. Yet based on the holes in the two faces these two corks had been rejected.

I went direct to Portugal once and got stiffed. Problem is you might get a good batch  on one order but the next is poor. Price the same, can’t always blame supplier. They can only supply what they  can get. Sometimes the harvest is not good,. Then even average cork will command a high price.

The best I hope for is very hard cork. At least you get a good connection with your rod shaft.

mike

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

HT

Useful looking tool.  If only we could trust those treacherous corks.

The other day I picked two corks from my reject box. Plan was to turn a fighting butt. Would you believe it when I got to finished size no filling required. Yet based on the holes in the two faces these two corks had been rejected.

mike

I’ve had the same thing happen so I don’t know how helpful the tool would really be. 

I eyeball it and place them where I think they should go and deal with the results. I really only fill if there’s a giant crevice. Small defects, I leave them. 

Edited by Drew C.

8 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’ve had the same thing happen so I don’t know how helpful the tool would really be. 

I eyeball it and place them where I think they should go and deal with the results. I really only full if there’s a giant crevice. Small defects, I leave them. 

Drew/Mike,    Can see your point.   Maybe why I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere.    Can't remember where I found that photo.   

HT

I try to buy 50% more cork rings than I expect to use. Even doing that, I still have to use rings that aren’t up to par. Every once and a while I get lucky and get a good batch but that isn’t common. 

HT

I think the tool is useful as it can’t hurt. We do our best to avoid the pits. This helps.

I select out by eye the best position for a cork on my handles. Got to try.

The very best Cork go where my hands and fingers grip the handle.  

mike

Did you see the site 

GoldenWitch. Com 

sell cork rings   A+.   ?  
bags of 250.     $1150.00

Maybe split the bag with someone ?   Not cheap

11 mins ago, ccb said:

Did you see the site 

GoldenWitch. Com 

sell cork rings   A+.   ?  
bags of 250.     $1150.00

Maybe split the bag with someone ?   Not cheap

Yep, that's why I noted the $5 each cost above, from their website.    I believe they state that if you purchase a bag they give you the bag as received from Portugal but if you purchase individual rings they hand select and toss the unacceptable rings into the next lower category?   Why would anyone want an unsorted bag with known second rate rings when you can get 100% sorted rings for almost the same price.  Possibly saving $87 on a bulk bag probably works out to the number of rings you would have discarded ?  Money to be made if someone can come up with a solution