surfcityNJ

18' C Hawk Rebuild

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Figured I'd share some photos and details about my couple month project so far. Been on the hunt for a small boat to rip around Barnegat Bay and get out front on the better days. I have plenty of friends with 25'+ CC so no need for much more.

I wanted something that would be reasonable on fuel and pushed by a 90hp give or take. 17' Makos and Prolines, Seaway, looked at many.

My regular fishing buddy just received a 25' C Hawk over the summer and I love the lines on these boats. No frills work boats. Found a 1986 18' with 90 HP Nissan 2 stroke that ran clean, but floor was rotted. Priced as such and I'm not one to shy away from a project. I know I probably can buy something that already ran and was in better shape for what I'm likely to put into it, but I take pride in doing things myself. I'm skilled with wood working and fiberglass work as well. 

Picked up the boat in September, ran it twice and got decent numbers pushing 35mph. Pleased with how it ran I decided to take advantage of nice weather and start the demo. Removed bow rails, lights, cleats etc. No bow rails when finished, pop up cleats, running lights in the rub rail. Filled many of the smaller holes and sanded flush. Aside from filling larger holes the gunnel top cap is pretty much ready for paint and non slip, getting some muscle to take it off this week.

Console came out as did old topside tank. Removed all cables and wiring and will redo from scratch. Motor came off with help of some friends and onto a stand I made. Began mocking up the console in the past two weeks as I'd like to add on for a front seat and to have room to flush mount a 7" Garmin and Fusion head unit. Floor is out and so is the wet soggy floor and old foam, old floatation additions on side were removed as well. Should have weighed the old material coming out because it was a lot.

Next up is getting the wood out of the stringers and deciding the plan of action there. Removing the transom wood next and then ready to prep to build back up again. Will be raising the floor an inch or more to accommodate for the weight of a ~35 gallon tank and eventual repower with a 4 stroke. Hoping to save up and repaint the outside since that water line drives me insane.

Will post updates as I can, looking forward to sharing!

62186851338__FC35C860-816C-4903-82E9-30666813C035 (1).JPG

62206431323__8D2F8227-F1BC-4628-A248-EB57774E1ECA.JPG

62215757621__4C51AE90-DE83-4512-A201-D0349ABE3412.JPG

62275666035__4D0A4F51-FBBC-4141-B106-412952E7D141.JPG

62335290321__A421F46F-205B-420A-9092-69B7127EB247.JPG

62447813936__40772729-6908-4BB2-8BDD-ED5A3BA2ED97.JPG

62473770720__6A9914E2-7E1C-4163-BBE1-67315894763A.JPG

62569453993__53C44188-EA2B-46F5-8702-6D43794D79D2.JPG

62672596825__A982A5FE-F2F2-424B-BAFA-94301A724E8B.JPG

62672524139__CC662F17-B83D-4A6A-A233-8835B362224C.JPG

Whats your plan for the transom?

I've seen some good results with a chainsaw and the pourable cores.  Saves a ton of fairing.

What will you be painting it with?

Cool project.

Edited by makorider

Not positive on transom plan yet. I’ve had a couple people recommend that. My goal is to remove all the old wood from the entire boat. 

Will be painting outside with awlgrip 2000 ice blue likely. 

If its DIY it'll be roll and tip. I'm trying to figure out a budget and if having someone spray it is in the funds. Juggling that cost and the cost of repowering now and just having everything new when all is said and done.

I have done quite a few transoms by the  pour method. Cant say anything negative  about any of them . It still takes  a few days with  a Chainsaw  to get wood out. Just hope you dont cut holes in the fiberglass  mats that holds your liquid in place otherwise you get a big mess ruining everywhere. Has a quick set time once mixed. 

I did a new transom on my 1976 SeaCraft using Pensky (sp) Board. Did the work in 2007, worked outdoors, project included raising the mounting height for today's newer motors. Board was easy to cut and work which allowed me to shape it where required to get into corners, etc. Hung a Yamaha V4 130HP long shaft on the back and everything has been fine so far.

On 11/11/2020 at 0:06 PM, 757saltwater said:

I have done quite a few transoms by the  pour method. Cant say anything negative  about any of them . It still takes  a few days with  a Chainsaw  to get wood out. Just hope you dont cut holes in the fiberglass  mats that holds your liquid in place otherwise you get a big mess ruining everywhere. Has a quick set time once mixed. 

This- I did it a few years back and loved the results

No crazy updates. But finally had some friends help out to get the gunnel cap off. Easier to access and grind down the vertical supports, take out the anchor locker bulkhead and remaining floor. Finishing sanding/grinding down the topside of the hull to remove and old paint and smooth things out. Also building a cradle this week so that it can come in the garage and be well supported.

Once thats done I'll be removing the stringers and transom. I'll be glassing in a new core for the transom and reconfiguring the stringers to accept a 35-40 gallon tank. I'd hoped to repower and move to a long shaft motor but I think I'm likely to stick with the 2 stroke Nissan for now. Some cross members between stringers should also add more strength to the boat overall. I'm constantly back and forth between using all composite materials or just properly sealed plywood. Price is a huge difference and I believe I can install the wood and not have rot issues in my lifetime.

Excited to get the boat in the garage where I can work pretty much everyday possible moving forward.

IMG_3566.jpg

My opinion is go with a composite transom, but those stringers and the ones on the old Seacrafts don't really rely on core material for strength, I would use foam to hold the shape and glass over it for strength.

Topside is all cleaned up. Removed all the old chipping paint and down to smooth glass above the floor line. Picture was a little before finishing, removed paint from anchor locker area as well. Wanted to get all this done outside to at least limit some dust in the garage.

Finishing up today with a couple little tweaks to the cradle to rest the hull on in the garage. Should support the boat much better, especially in the bow, than the trailer. Also gives me more headroom and eliminates the need to make room for the tongue of the trailer. 

Once its inside I'll start to cut out the stern portion of the stringers and then out comes the transom. Using 2 1" sheets of penske board for the transom. 

IMG_3637.jpg

63278020158__7F4FFDB1-79BF-40E0-A545-648719D7B33C 2.JPG

WOW!!! One heck of a build ahead of you knowing what I went through!!! Lookin' good so far...... 

I did the Oak plywood 3/4 to 3/4 glassed between and both sides..... then glassed into Transom...... cut mine out from the inside and left fiberglass skin ON on the outside.......

Its moving along and should pick up some steam now that I'm inside officially. Got rest of garage sectioned off since I still have some dust making ahead when I take out the stringers and transom. Its supported better than I expected in the cradle.

Picking up 2 1" sheets of Coosa for the transom tomorrow. Will see how I like working with the material before deciding on what to do with the stringers. 

63328884993__684EF535-A3EB-47CD-89DF-8363E808F41B.JPG